Why aren't there very many group prodjects?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Hmm, I find it very useful to have someone to discuss things with. A friend of mine is very good at optimizing code and working out the details, while I am more into the big picture; I come up with an effective/adaptable structure for software et cetera, I code it so it more of less does what it's supposed to do and neatly document what goes in and what is supposed to come out, and I ask him to optimize my routines :)

That's pretty much how the codebank should be used too... So I don't think it's such a bad idea to have more than one coder on a project or a piece of code. You do need one main coder though.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes, i was going to comment on that earlier. It is good to have people go over your routines to help you optimise ... that is where thing slike #TCPA on EfNet come in handy :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Yes, I agree that 1-2 people is fine, but when you get 4-5 people together to work on a project, you are gonna get people who disagree with your style/methods or people that just want you to get your part done so the project can be done. I think it is great to have an extra mind and a extra pair of eyes to help you find stuff you missed or to help you come up with new/faster ways of doing things. Its just my opinion, you guys can take it for what its worth be it some great view into my side of thinking or you can take it for a grain of salt...whatever is fine by me.
OH ok. Well Sonic doesnt need more than two (and now i know shouldnt have more than one even!) but it does have more than one kinda except DigiTan is really the only one who has made some code for it :-/.
-actually I have some code for it on my comp...and I got some more from L-man too. Sonic is a bit different though. We may say it is a group project, by from my view it is more of a gathering of knowledge and coming up with code to produce stuff that hasn't really been done yet. As for developers of Sonic...I cant really say...it is certainly possible no matter what doubts people have be it made by one person or a "group".
The Revolution is here...
MissingIntellect

Post by MissingIntellect »

(I've kind of gotten back into Z80, and although I post rarely, I lurk here often...)

It's sad, most developers in the TI scene don't have the slightest idea how to do a team project. Maybe it seems easy for me because I'm helping with the development of Programmers Notepad 2. I've thought of putting up a project page on SourceForge for a TI-Calc program, but...
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

There's no need for real team projects in the calc world... All you need is a coder, maybe a separate graphics artist and some testers in order not to release crappy version 0.x code.