Linux-Which distributions do you use?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Which Linux distribution do you use?

Suse
No votes
Mandrake
9%
Gentoo
23%
Slackware
18%
Debian
18%
Red Hat/Fedora Core
18%
Knoppix
9%
Other
5%

Total votes: 22

Deathsting

Post by Deathsting »

Well what exactly is the difference between the distributor. The basic Os is the same right. So whats the difference then?
Well i have red hat but i m too afraid it my screw my computer if i tried it.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

dysfunction wrote:
benryves wrote:Knoppix (the only one I've tried) hates my hardware. No network card, locks into low resolution (1024x768), scratchy sound. Not to mention a ghastly and laggy interface (graphics card problems? Maybe).

Come on, even BeOS plays fair with my hardware!

So, I think I'll stick to Windows for the moment. :roll:
That's not really fair... what would you expect from a distro running off a live cd? Knoppix isn't intended as a permanent OS.
I can forgive the display. I can't forgive the sound card as it's an AC'97 - pretty much the most common sound card out there! It's the modern SB16 compatibility-wise.
Anyhow, I have now tried SuSE, but it couldn't detect my network card or sound card at all. Our Java course is "Java on UNIX", so I use PuTTY and Cygwin/X to dial in and run my programs.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

rt2500: http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The major difference between dists is how packages are handled and how the system is setup. It's a matter of personal preference.

I can live with Linux even though support for HW is not always automatic. I can't live with Windows, because the support is just stupid; to make my network card be accepted by the DHCP server we got here, I have to switch the xfer-mode between auto and FD 100Mb/s. To have to install drivers once that work instead of hacking with half-arsed automatic drivers on every boot feels a whole lot better to me :)

EDIT: Crazy tags :p
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I use wireless on my laptop relatively easily in Linux. While I'm at campus, I have to use this Cisco cardbus card since it supports the LEAP authentication they use. I made a simple initscript to automatically log me in. At home, I just have to modprobe ndiswrapper; iwconfig wlan0 crypt `cat /mnt/winc/wep.txt` (or something along those lines). I can't use the internal wireless on campus because of that damn LEAP...
ImageImage
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

I'm using hikarunix!!!
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Wow, way to necropost, but at least it was relevant. I've moved to Ubuntu from Fedora, it's far better (apt pwns).

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Im dual booting windows XP and FreeBSD on my laptop and windows XP and Ubuntu on my desktop.
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

Ubuntu is amazing, I tested the Dapper (unstable) liveCD version yesterday, and when I made my printer work in 4 clicks (no exaggeration) I thought it was really ready fo the end users.

Unless the end user has hardware for which no free driver has been written, of course :oops:

For older hardware, Damn Small Linux rocks.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

@dys: What is necroposting?

Yeah, Hikarunix is a great mod of DamnSmallLinux.

Unfortunately, it probably will never get an update, and my previous Mandrake install has messed up my MBR or whatnot.

I've tried Ubuntu, but because of problems... *see above* I only had it working once.

My friend (a die-hard linux user, working on iPod Linux..) uses Ubuntu. Supposedly, an update is coming around april that is "awesome" and "amazing" based on the impression he got from it. Something about how every bit hardware was easy to setup...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Patori wrote:@dys: What is necroposting?
Posting in a dead topic.
necroposting
From Wiktionary
English
Noun
necroposting

1. (computing) (on forums etc) bringing long dead threads "back to life"

Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/necroposting"

Category: Computing
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Well, I got all my hardware working under Ubuntu fairly easily, with the exception of my wifi card- that took a week or so, but I made the mistake of trying to use their driver (they actually had a linux driver, but it was junk). I finally got it working fine with ndiswrapper.

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

Yeah, Ubuntu's pretty good with hardware and software. I love the Synaptic!!! :P

I've gotten Ubuntu to finally work, but now it doesn't allow me to connect to the internet...
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

What's the problem? Are you on a wifi connection? Linux has issues with those. If you're just over straight LAN, the problem should be simple. Linux is _made_ for wired networking.

Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Wireless works fine if you know what you're doing...
ImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

If by "you know what you're doing," you mean that you buy a well-supported card, then yes. Otherwise, it could be a hassle, since ndiswrapper, while wonderful, is far from perfect.