When did you started programming for calcs?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

When did you started programming for calcs?

less than 1/2 year ago
8%
1 year ago
16%
2 years ago
14%
3 years ago
22%
4 years ago
5%
5 years ago
8%
more than 5 years ago
24%
6 months before birth
3%

Total votes: 37

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

well...I still haven't released a game :cry: but you made a cool library :)
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

tr1p1ea wrote:I guess im the only one that did "6 months before birth".

But really i cant remember, mainly because i would have to include making math helpers in BASIC. SO i guess a few years. I started to seriously learn ASM like 2 years ago (man that went by fast) ... I have only released one game :(.
upload a crappy basic game to ticalc, then you'll have 2!
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

hm

Post by the_unknown_one »

September 2003, that's about a year and a half ago.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well i never made any games in BASIC ... I didnt see much of a point :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I got my 83 in '99, but it took some time for me to discover all the information necessary for development. I can't really tell when I wrote my first ASM program for the calc, but it must have been in the second half of 2000. I didn't have a link cable of my own, I used to use the school's one for a long time. I haven't found any saved files from earlier than April 2001, I think I recompiled everything that month. I even have some greyscale code from that period...
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I started sometime between 1997 and 1998 with a TI-82. First, it was a BASIC spoof of Pokemon and cockfighting called Poquemon (still pronounced the same). It was a smash hit, and I made 3 other versions and all but the last one got erased for lack of a cable.

About 2 years ago, I started working on what would have been Poquemon 5, when it hit me: Why not do something like Robot War? That's when the project started.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Svinter

Post by Svinter »

I started last year at the beginning of sophomore year when I got my ti 83 for algebra 2, and since my teacher was annoying, obnoxious and I had an A I made crappy BASIC games in class. My first actual game was a battle arena game where you lvl up fighting the basic rpg monsters (slime, imp, wolf, bear) and had to beat the skeleton champion. Then later on I made a REALLY slow shooter I call WASP, dont know why though... Ill see if I can find screens...

Edit: Hope these make anyone feel like their basic games were better than they thought :D

Image Image
Last edited by Svinter on Mon 04 Apr, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCR ~ 80% Finished
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

I dont really know when I started... when I got the calc I think.

I never really made any BASIC games because it was too slow and limiting (this was before ASM libs tho). I did make some small text-based(!) RPG and a pong game for the contest (which i never submitted :( ) that people at my school really liked.

I started learning (and later coding) ASM after seeing a demo of TVF at ticalc and then going to check out the forums. Desolate is what really sparked my interest.

Well Ive been actively coding for about a year i suppose.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

I probably started messing around with BASIC my freshman year of high school, so like 1998. I never did much because it was too slow, and didn't like the limitations (although Kevin has shown us all what BASIC can really do with a little help from assembly). So I would just mess around and make little routines or parts of games, but never finish them.

This was just a really basic sprite drawer with sprite switching. Sooo slow...

First dablings into tilemaps. This was pretty fast, but I wanted bigger maps. So I moved onto the graph screen...

This was probably the furthest I got in BASIC. I was thinking this could be a quest type game, searching through mazes and getting treasures. So this one shows tilemaps, collision detection, etc.

Then, maybe 2-3 years ago I started with assembly. Since then I've made one game, tons of useless demos and learning programs, and started one more. Here's a pic of Quadropong:
That_One_Guy

Post by That_One_Guy »

coelurus wrote:As for multiplayer 3d, I say yet again; the quake routine is open for porting and all I'm waiting for is somebody to port some c-code to z80:
http://coelurus.thorntwig.tk/data/main.c
I'd be happy see that snippet of code used in a game for the ti83s :)
I've seen a C-to-ASM converter, but i forgot where. You could check that out
Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.

http://www.xanga.com/jakku_kun, rants by me.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

z88dk maybe, of course you have to change the screen size maybe and it run very slow on calc

EDIT: there's TIGCC too but it's only for 68ks
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
That_One_Guy

Post by That_One_Guy »

Well anyway, i got in about a year and a half ago, and been doing BASIC since. I'm just now (re)learning asm...i say relearning, cuz i tried once<cough 5 times cough> before. I think i'm finally getting it though
Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.

http://www.xanga.com/jakku_kun, rants by me.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Ouch 5 times, I dont think I could get the motivation to do so :shock: .

wrote wrote:Image
That remind me my old days when I figured out how to make tile maps with pictures. Sometimes I play ASCII games and I still find them enjoyable. :)
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

I don't know that date, but it's been about five years... Mostly math stuff, because ADD makes it hard to make a game that's good... I remeber making crappy tile maps with ASCII, and then using Omnicalc...
This actually reminds me, the other day I was stuck in an airport with nothing to do, so I took out my calc, sadly, I didn't have xLib on it (bad accident), so I had to code something... A long time ago I posted some stupid AI crap on TIcalc, and one of them was you moved around, and then pressed second, and something would retrace the path, took me ofrever to do it, so I figured I'd re-do it, took like, half an hour. It's amazing how our skills progress like that... Wow, ok, my story's done.
Shaun
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Merthsoft wrote:I don't know that date, but it's been about five years... Mostly math stuff, because ADD makes it hard to make a game that's good... I remeber making crappy tile maps with ASCII, and then using Omnicalc...
This actually reminds me, the other day I was stuck in an airport with nothing to do, so I took out my calc, sadly, I didn't have xLib on it (bad accident), so I had to code something... A long time ago I posted some stupid AI crap on TIcalc, and one of them was you moved around, and then pressed second, and something would retrace the path, took me ofrever to do it, so I figured I'd re-do it, took like, half an hour. It's amazing how our skills progress like that... Wow, ok, my story's done.
*looking at your author profile*

I think it's your 4th or 5th calc too?