[TI ASM] Display text on the homescreen

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CoBB
MCF Legend

Re: [TI ASM] Display text on the homescreen

Post by CoBB »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:~Note~ Why would anyone want to compile an 83+ game for Ion?????
Its not as convenient or nearly as reliable as MirageOS.
Because ION programs can be run under Mirage and also work on VTI. Besides, it's easier to provide a plus ION version when you have an 83 one already. You know, there are lesser models some people still prefer programming for, because that's what they have. I'm definitely not going to buy a new calc just for the fun of it.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Why do so many people (newbs especially) dislike Ion? Its great for testing your programs in VTI and also providing 83 support ... which is its intention.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

excatly...that is why I like...and program for it! :) Don't get me wrong...Mirage is a great shell. But I like how I can get an 83 and an 83+ version of my game using Ion, and that way almost everybody with that kind of calc. can play it! Besides just singling out one system, you are allowing those people with the older models to play your game...it keeps the older models going! :wink:
The Revolution is here...
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

tr1p1ea wrote:Why do so many people (newbs especially) dislike Ion? Its great for testing your programs in VTI and also providing 83 support ... which is its intention.
Actually, for me always the 83 version is the primary line of development (mainly because the most powerful shell, Venus has its roots there), the others are just derivations of that. It's quite easy now with my magic 82-83-83+ header. :)
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

tr1p1ea wrote:Why do so many people (newbs especially) dislike Ion? Its great for testing your programs in VTI and also providing 83 support ... which is its intention.
I not saying I dislike Ion and yeah it great for providing 83 support, but for 83+ MirageOS has some advantages. Ion can't be archived so if your calculator crashes you can't play 'games' at school for the rest of the day.
Secondly, MirageOS comes with utlities and options not avaible with Ion.
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:~Note~ Why would anyone want to compile an 83+ game for Ion?????
Its not as convenient or nearly as reliable as MirageOS.
As CoBB said because Ion games can be run in Mirage too. Also the new version of Mirage (1.2) uses undocumented stuff (registers and maybe routines) and wont run in the Flash Debugger so you need to use Ion.

Its not hard to later change the Ion header to a Mirage one.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Also the new version of Mirage (1.2) uses undocumented stuff (registers and maybe routines) and wont run in the Flash Debugger so you need to use Ion.
I don't know how you came up with that, but I just played Jezzball and other assembly programs using the MirageOS 1.2 shell on the TI-Flash Debugger.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

CoBB wrote:It's quite easy now with my magic 82-83-83+ header. :)
I've been spending a lot of time over the acelgoyobis source, checking how you compile for these three calcs. Seems like a smart thing to do, because if you make it compatible for 6 different shells, everyone is happy.

Compiling strickly for Mirage is pretty pointless. The only benefit (if you can call it that) is a little icon in the Mirage screen. Compile for ion, then everyone with an 83+ is happy.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Theres more benifits than just an icon, mirageos has a number of routines that waste space when everyone keeps copying them to their programs. Come on the detacheds guys put in an input routine, line routines, sending routines, hell they made interrupts unreasonable easy for newbs. Now their adding Lite8x compression.
But still, I agree Ion is the easiest to debug with. Flash debugger sucks.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

I guess I just don't mind writing and using my own routines.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

There's only one routine I usually copy without major modifications: ION's fastcopy. Unfortunately the one coming with the shell is wired for use with plotsscreen only, which is not always what I need (I haven't used the wasted clocks so far, but that might also change in the future). The other routines I simply never had any use for, because they never fit exactly my needs. Having a set of common routines isn't as good as it sounds.

As for noobs tampering with interrupts and linking, I'm not really sure if that's a good thing seeing that most of them can't even perform basic arithmetics and don't understand why the registers change their values after using a romcall...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You dont need all of those shell routines, they dont save you much space. I think coders SHOULD know how a sprite routine works if they use them, and if they want to use a custom interrupt routine ... they should also know how interrupts work.

Besides, CrunchyOS had compression already.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."