Your Computer Specs

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CompWiz wrote:Also, when you talk about the P4 thermal throttling, you mean that when it hits too high of a temperature, it slows down. AMD's are much better. When they are idle they slow down, so the high temperature is never reached, and when you are using them, they will always be at full speed. It would be kind of inconvienient if you were playing a multiplayer game and your P4 decided to slow down in the middle of it, ruining your framerate and any chance you had at winnning, wouldn't you say? :lol:
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make ;) The CPU throttles if it is overheating to stop it from frying itself. However, a lot of crap PC manufacturers (Dell/Compaq/eMachines seem to be pretty bad at this) use bad CPU fans and so the CPU throttles a lot, resulting in very poor performance. With a decent fan, the CPU will always run at full speed. This is fairly inefficient heat-wise (but not performance-wise), which is where the Pentium M series do a much better job.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

CompWiz wrote:
AndySoft wrote:
CompWiz wrote: Intels never have an unlocked multiplyer, while most AMD's do. Also, that processor number is pretty accurate.
Horseshit. We got a load of old Pinnacle Pentium II systems in at work (Computer Surplus for the UA campus) and they had processor speed settings in the BIOS. Gateways from the same era had them too.
Yes, but as I stated before, the multiplyer was locked. You cannot change it(go check if you don't believe me). When the multiplyer is locked, you cannot overclock very much without hitting stability problems. According to currahee, the multiplyers have been unlocked on the later p4s, but high end P4's generate so much heat, if you overclocked it a reasonable amount, it would overheat.
Another reason the AMD motherboards are so good is that they support automatic overclocking. If you are using the CPU to its capacity, and the automatic overclocking is turned on, the motherboard automatically increaces the speed of the CPU. If you stop using it so much, the speed is put back to normal again. And if the processor is idle, AMD's "cool and quiet" feature turns the speed of the processor way down, and speeds it up the instant you begin to use it. Just another reason AMDs are better. :mrgreen:
No, it's got to be chaning the multiplier -- they have 200, 233, 266, 300, and 333 MHz options in the BIOS. I don't see how the hell you'd acheive that by just changing the FSB speed as that would severly slow down the rest of the system for the slower clock speeds.
ImageImage
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

AndySoft wrote:
CompWiz wrote:
AndySoft wrote: Horseshit. We got a load of old Pinnacle Pentium II systems in at work (Computer Surplus for the UA campus) and they had processor speed settings in the BIOS. Gateways from the same era had them too.
Yes, but as I stated before, the multiplyer was locked. You cannot change it(go check if you don't believe me). When the multiplyer is locked, you cannot overclock very much without hitting stability problems. According to currahee, the multiplyers have been unlocked on the later p4s, but high end P4's generate so much heat, if you overclocked it a reasonable amount, it would overheat.
Another reason the AMD motherboards are so good is that they support automatic overclocking. If you are using the CPU to its capacity, and the automatic overclocking is turned on, the motherboard automatically increaces the speed of the CPU. If you stop using it so much, the speed is put back to normal again. And if the processor is idle, AMD's "cool and quiet" feature turns the speed of the processor way down, and speeds it up the instant you begin to use it. Just another reason AMDs are better. :mrgreen:
No, it's got to be chaning the multiplier -- they have 200, 233, 266, 300, and 333 MHz options in the BIOS. I don't see how the hell you'd acheive that by just changing the FSB speed as that would severly slow down the rest of the system for the slower clock speeds.
those are not multiplyer settings. P4 multiplyers are locked. Check online if you like.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

CompWiz wrote:you seem to be forgetting the turion AMD chips for laptops. They use less power than AMD mobiles and 64, and they do something Intel mobiles cant - 64 bit. Also hypertransport.

And sure, you can overclock the P4 with the right cooling, but do you really want to pay for liquid cooling on top of the already rediculously high P4 prices?

Also, when you talk about the P4 thermal throttling, you mean that when it hits too high of a temperature, it slows down. AMD's are much better. When they are idle they slow down, so the high temperature is never reached, and when you are using them, they will always be at full speed. It would be kind of inconvienient if you were playing a multiplayer game and your P4 decided to slow down in the middle of it, ruining your framerate and any chance you had at winnning, wouldn't you say? :lol:

You know, I noticed something about your argument for P4's. You are basically admitting that they run most applications slower than the AMD's, they cost a lot more, they generate more heat, they have some features that slow them down for many tasks(hyper pipes, thermal throttling), and they don't have 64 bit. So, you are in fact saying that the P4's are either equal or slower in most applications(similarly prices ones are a lot slower) and don't have some features you claim we don't need(64 bit).

IF ANYONE HERE WANTS A SLOWER, MORE EXPENSIVE PROCESSOR THAT HEATS YOUR ROOM AND HAS LESS GOOD FEATURES, PLEASE SAY SO HERE

:mrgreen:
Last time I checked, Anandtech said that Turion is nothing more than a rebranded Athlon 64.
I'm sorry to say HyperTransport doesn't get me the tingly feeling inside of joy. My laptop is powered by one of the better Intel premium mobile chipsets and HyperTransport means little than just not having what... a northbridge or a southbridge? Anyway I could careless about the integrated memory controller. And my point about 64-bit remains valid and I stand by it. Just because you have a 64-bit chip are you going to get a 64-bit WIndows XP professional right now and upgrade your RAM to 8GB? You're forgetting what I said completely. I said those Hyper Pipes do slow down in some performance areas BUT for predictable applications the Pentium 4 serves much better.

And again, P4 multipliers can be unlocked and it's not impossible to do so. Current P4s are unlocked... or atleast the majority of them should be. Also, the P4 can do what an Athlon can do and vice-versa. Also more expensive just means a $20-50 price gap and that's if you're just buying a CPU in a box. If you buy from like Compaq or Dell for example they get those Intel chips at a cheaper volume price.
And maybe I should have cleared that statement up- When I say 'throttling CPU speeds' that's what EVERY CPU nowadays does. CoolnQuiet is a speed throtting technique and you seemed to have missed my statement about Pentium 4 6xx CPUs having speed throttling. Yes, Intel did manage to implement their SpeedStep technology into their 64-bit pentium 4s... wait what??? Intel had 64-bit Pentium 4s all along??? NO WAY OMGWTFBBQ
This is fairly inefficient heat-wise (but not performance-wise), which is where the Pentium M series do a much better job.
I can attest to that :lol: My P-M gets "warm" (it's actually my laptop's internal gadets... the CPU and HDD are surprisingly cool through :wink: ) and when I stop playing a game, after a bit of full speed fan whirring it slows down. Very nice. 8)

I have some questions to ask you then:
1) Why is 64-bit so important to you? Why do you need a 64-bit chip now? I feel when the time comes when the true 64-bit comptuer arrives, we'll already have much better hardware that will make the AMD64 obsolete.
2) You don't like heat? I have two opinions: I could care less on how much heat a CPU generates as long as it gets the proper cooling. However, I do care about how much MOBILE CPUs generate heat. That's why I said the Athlon XP-m sucked and the Pentium M is much better. In terms of Mobile CPUs, the Pentium M in my opinion is the best possible you can get. It consumes less and dissipates less compared to what a budget Sempron outputs. That means the AMD64/Turion (Turion is a name just like Intel's Centrino. Turion based laptops happen to be underperformers. Have you taken a look at Turion powered laptops? They have like half the L2 and lower clock speeds. I've only seen them in like the bargain bin laptop market) consumes more power than the Pentium M (I believe it consumes 65W).
Also the Turion is in a different market. They're shooting for the Centrino but AMD greatly fails in that area. Along with the bargain bin laptops i've seen Turion paired up with, their Thermal Design Point is 35W-25W. Much more than the upper Dothans (24.4W) and the lower Dothans (21W)

And i'm also very sorry to say, I have a Pentium M based laptop so heat isn't really much of an issue to me now. My uncle does keep a Pentium 2.4GHz PC in his room and it doesn't seem to heat up the room much... not as much as my AMD Athlon laptop did...
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Heated discussion this.

Some notes on the 64-bits issue: It's not very important for the average user (neither is a 6800/x800, >3GHz CPU, >512GB RAM etc), but the important thing is to provide developers and people who work on writing computer software something to experiment on. Proprietery test hardware is a whole lot more expensive than consumer hardware, which means a lot for guys like me. And yes, I do make use of all 64 bits in my project for procedural generation code.

Anybody thinking the 64-bits transition would be quick is pretty naive, developers have to adapt and large-scale companies don't like changes (btw, 64-bits support in Linux was around pretty early :D ). One of AMD and Intel had to start shelling out 64-bits CPUs to the public to start the slow process of making them mainstream. We should all condone that act instead of question it; I thought all you guys around here like HW more than I do :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I have nothing against a CPU getting warm, and I have no complaint about the heat the Intel mobile chips generate. However, I do have a problem with my 3.06 ghz P4 that does heat my room considerably.

And the price difference is much more than $20-50. In fact, what Intel P4 is only $50 more than the comparable AMD chip? Where did you get that from? Did you just make it up to try to propogate the myth of P4 superiority? :x
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

Anyone try water cooling? Intels produce more heat than AMDs..... the P4 is like a space heater.

Also with fans the faster (and more air it pushes/sucks in) the higher the dBA. You wouldnt want your PC to constantly sound like a jumbo jet (even if it managed to get sub zero temps inside the case :D ) would you?

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

coelurus wrote:Heated discussion this.

Some notes on the 64-bits issue: It's not very important for the average user (neither is a 6800/x800, >3GHz CPU, >512GB RAM etc), but the important thing is to provide developers and people who work on writing computer software something to experiment on. Proprietery test hardware is a whole lot more expensive than consumer hardware, which means a lot for guys like me. And yes, I do make use of all 64 bits in my project for procedural generation code.

Anybody thinking the 64-bits transition would be quick is pretty naive, developers have to adapt and large-scale companies don't like changes (btw, 64-bits support in Linux was around pretty early :D ). One of AMD and Intel had to start shelling out 64-bits CPUs to the public to start the slow process of making them mainstream. We should all condone that act instead of question it; I thought all you guys around here like HW more than I do :)
Well the thing is, i'm not a dev as it would make my brain asplode :P Yes what you say about devs needing the hardware early is true, but I feel that most mainstream users do not need it. Also it would be relatively easy to implement in future generation CPU roadmaps for the timing to be right

@CPU Price: Well... at least the Celeries :x
@CPU Heat: Well then I could say what CPU doesn't light up a room in flames :wink: i'm sure those AMD64s run marginally cooler than Pentium 4s. Prescott CPUs really run hot don't they?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

People don't need amd64s, but in order to get devers to get crackin' on 64-bits SW, the CPUs must be 'cheap'. Going mainstream is the obvious way, and since buzzing sells really well (and since it performs better on average than standard 32-bits CPUs :wink: ), AMD did the right thing and spread 64 bits. We don't need it, but it's here, we just have to start using it and get better stuff. And Intel ain't helping out.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

currahee wrote:@CPU Price: Well... at least the Celeries :x
@CPU Heat: Well then I could say what CPU doesn't light up a room in flames :wink: i'm sure those AMD64s run marginally cooler than Pentium 4s. Prescott CPUs really run hot don't they?
You mean celeron? Those chips are extreemely slow. Never get one. If you want a cheap CPU, just get an AMD XP or Sempron(AMD's budget chip). They are much faster than the celerons at similar prices.

And yes, Prescott CPU's do run very hot, and use more wattage. (It forces you to buy a more expensive power supply for a more expensive chip. Kind of hard on the wallet, and low on performance)

I have a challenge!If you want to prove P4's are better, post here the benchmarks of identically outfitted systems that cost the same, one with intel and one with AMD. And make sure the benchmarks are of some applications and uses that the average computer user would actually do. I doubt that the Intel system will be faster, and if it isn't, I don't see why anyone should buy an Intel.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

lol :roll: my position is here to defend that the P4 isn't as sucky as people might imagine. PRescott only runs a bit slower, 10-30% slower than AMD64 CPUs from what i've seen. I'm not saying that they're better but like i've said in my posts, i'm just trying to say a P4 can do what an AMD64 can do except for say.... 3D Now extensions :roll:
Certainly I won't say that the P4 performs much better than the Athlon, only at a few tests but then again so is the case of the AMD64 which tend to be marginally slower or moderately faster than a P4.
However, AMD lacks much publicity. As I demonstrated with my dad, he pointed out the Deceleron laptop first and then I had to tell him that the AMD Athlon XP was a Pentium 4 class CPU and better than a Deceleron not to mention cheaper and twice the RAM. I don't really hate AMD but then again I really don't love it either. They make decent chips, and I sort of wish the same thing happened with ATI to keep their lead ever since the Radeon 9700 came out. Desipite what you say people are still going to shell out for Celery systems rather than Sempron systems. P4 over Athlon64. AMD is well known in the enthusiast market. Maybe a bit for mainstream, but in the low end people are gonna want that "Intel Inside" on their computers. Intel still stands for quality, whether it has degraded the quality over the years.
You can't really blame Intel for trying to keep the NetBurst architecture alive. After all, when it was first produced at 1.4 and 1.5GHz, Intel said that it was estimated that it should go well over 5GHz and beyond since it was designed for that. However they're facing a wall here with the thermal issue which keeps them from burning up their chips. You must also understand Intel's philosophy of the era, which meant speed meant power. People still go by this too even with AMD's gain in the mainstream and enthusiast market.
However Prescott isn't just an empty shell with 31 stage pipes. It has an improved static branch prediction unit, 8 way assossiativity in their L1s now (16KB, double t hat of Northwood), and stuff like double the L2 from northwood.
I can understand your heat problem, my Athlon laptop generated so much heat that my room was usually about 8-10 degrees higher than the rest of my house. If the problem seems to be too severe for you and you feel a little adventurous, then go out and install a water cooling system. Not only will it look a bit "exotic" but it should take care most of your Prescott heat problems and not to mention a quieter environment. If your entire opinion of Intel changed because of actually owning a Prescott, well, I find it a bit sad.
.... *blink* Why DID you get a Prescott P4 based computer anyway? Why not an Athlon 64? Oh and also, Intel is working hard on Cedar Mill, the (possibly) last P4 generation which has a 86 Watt TDP. It's a tightened up PRescott really to lower the heat and power issues.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I built my system a few months before the amd 64's came out. At that time, I must admit I thought Intel was better. That's what a lot of people and articles said. Once the AMD 64's came out and the benchmarks showed their superiority and reviews told of their greatness, I quickly switched to supporting AMDs.

My system is not prescott, it is the 3.06 ghz P4 CPU with hyperthreading. I intend to soon replace it with an AMD 64 939 pin system. I would rather not spend any more money on my system at this point.

[/heated discussion]

Hey, any Intel enthusiast want to buy a great Pentium 4 system with a mad dog sound card, Fx 5200 128 graphics card, and 160 gig hard drive? also 1 gig ram! Plays games great! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

[heated discussion]

As to the Intels, sure they have added many good features, but between the slow FSB(compared to hypertransport), the terribly designed dual cores, high prices, inferior performance, and high temperatures, AMD's are just better. Who wouldn't want cheaper faster chips in a slot that will be highly upgradeable into the future? I think that if Intel is declared to be using unfair business practices, AMD will definitely increase in popularity. It's too bad that more people don't know how good AMDs are (and that Dell doesn't use them).

As to not needing 64 bit, I just heard about some new games that actually require 64 bit to run(actually, they will run with 32 bit, but really slowly). More details on that when I find out more.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

*raises eyebrow* really? what games? I havent heard of anything. And again, the 6xx Prescotts have 64-bit.
And my bad, I thought you had prescott. I didnt think Northwood chips would run that hot as you claim.
YOu have an FX 5200? :x I thought they totally sucked at playing games, especially PS2.0 based games. I have a Mobiltiy Radeon X600 on my laptop :twisted: what 3D Mark 03 score did you get with that? I got a modest 3,500

I'm sorry, but my laptop can do most and maybe some better than what your desktop can handle. Sure the CPU beats the crap outta mine (1.6GHz Dothan) but I have little reason to want since I have 768MB DDR2 RAM in my laptop

All that bus speed of 2GHz,too bad it can't be used effectively without really reallly realllllllllly fast ram :?
The new cores do definitely overclock much better than their predecessors, and they will allow any serious overclocker to reach speeds greater than 4.0GHz effortlessly. Most exciting to us was the 4.25GHz overclock that we saw on Presler, as a 4.25GHz Pentium D will truly be a formidable opponent to AMD's Athlon 64 X2. Cedar Mill offered reasonable overclocking headroom as well, but we would have liked to see a 5.0GHz overclock on standard air cooling, given that reaching 4.0GHz is possible today on Prescott.

The reduction in power consumption is impressive, but still not enough to give Intel an advantage over AMD, which makes things better, but hardly fixes the problem in our opinion. Unfortunately, we will have to wait for Intel's next-generation processors for a true competitor to AMD's low power Athlon 64s.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

CompWiz wrote:
AndySoft wrote:
CompWiz wrote: snip
those are not multiplyer settings. P4 multiplyers are locked. Check online if you like.
RTFT. I'm talking about Pentium II's, you were saying *ALL* Pentiums were like that.

Edit:
CompWiz wrote:I have a challenge!If you want to prove P4's are better, post here the benchmarks of identically outfitted systems that cost the same, one with intel and one with AMD. And make sure the benchmarks are of some applications and uses that the average computer user would actually do. I doubt that the Intel system will be faster, and if it isn't, I don't see why anyone should buy an Intel.
Uhh... You can't use the same mobo for both AMD and Intel, therefore your entire base of reasoning is flawed.
ImageImage
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

As to not needing 64 bit, I just heard about some new games that actually require 64 bit to run(actually, they will run with 32 bit, but really slowly). More details on that when I find out more.
Uhh, actually, even though I'm kinda on your side in this debate, I've never heard anything about that either. :? BF2 is a new game, it runs great on my current P4 compy. I don't have AoE III yet, but I'm sure it will run fine too.
bananas... o.o