Using Mozilla Thunderbird

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

t was the same with the TI discussion. You emailed Asking for the source. They said no. Thing is you never spoke with TI, you spoke with a company they hired to handle the customer service service, So you talk to a person has no relation to TI other a name on a pay check.
I did not ask for source. I asked for documentation. And it's their job to have it.
You don't have to pay hotmail to use outlook.
You have to pay to use outlook with hotmail, which seems quite microsofts intention seeing as both are their products. Surely they didn't make a program that would be used freely by a lot of people to access other email services that have nothing to do with microsoft? There's nothing in it for microsoft to do such a thing, except that yet an other microsoft program is standard on your windows computer.
In all likeliness the people who made outlook and made hotmail, have never even heard of each other.
And why should they. Their managers probably had heard of eachother, and that's the only thing that really matters.
A company making you pay for 2 unrelated products? HOW DARE THEY!
How exactly are "email client" and "email service" unrelated? It looks like a deliberate money-making set-up to me, yet an other thing that you have to pay for to use all its capabilities.

right. that turns it into "quote and repeat opinion", that's useless. Everyone knows outlook and hotmail are both the Source of All Evil, although hotmail is slightly improved. Do you really want to defend Microsoft? Do you actually mind if I hit on it?

IMO it is still odd that have to pay to combine 2 microsoft things, and not have to pay to use them separately, which is still using and costs them just as much. IMO it makes it a dirty trick to get more money from you.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

King Harold wrote:The error message btw says that it "will not work with free email addresses", which is open to multiple interpretations: "refuses to work if you don't want to pay", "is unable to work because the working of the program relies on your paying money", "this program is sponsored only by paid email service providers and will only work with sponsoring providers", or anything else along those lines.
Or just "will not work" which it won't. What reason you extrapolate from it for that should be based on the technology, not the message.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

if it won't work it shouldn't say anything about it until you try to connect, that would be the right moment to complain that there is no POP3 service to connect with. Instead of refusing your hotmail address seemingly just because it is a hotmail address.
No of course that isn't true, but the messages implies it.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Since Microsoft probably knows its policy on Hotmail account subscription they might have just added a check for that to inform you that a free account won't work.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

This specific outlook version claims to have been made in 2002, so they planned to down-grade their email service for atleast 2 years before actually doing it?
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I did not ask for source. I asked for documentation. And it's their job to have it.
No...it's not. Not even remotely. I can't imagine what would possibly give you that idea?

TI no longer supports any 3rd party development. They've stop selling there licensed apps. They no longer license any private keys. And have ceased all support for the SDK package. Do you understand how much money was wasted just to write the SDK Guide, not mention the creation of Flash Debugger?
How exactly are "email client" and "email service" unrelated? It looks like a deliberate money-making set-up to me, yet an other thing that you have to pay for to use all its capabilities.
I'd say about unrelated as my internet service provider is to my internet browser. You see one provides access to a service, another provides friendly use of that service.

"A contractor? Those guys are the biggest crooks around! They charge for materials AND labor. Pick one jerks!" - Homer
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Well.. after reading all the posts I suppose a free hotmail account will never work together with a email program, so maybe it's time to make another email account and send all email from hotmail to my new email, I'll check that gmail thingie.
TI no longer supports any 3rd party development. They've stop selling there licensed apps. They no longer license any private keys. And have ceased all support for the SDK package. Do you understand how much money was wasted just to write the SDK Guide, not mention the creation of Flash Debugger?
This is not entirely true I think, because the Ti flash debugger and the sdk guide helped people to make programs for their calculators wich make it more interesting for people, this way they gain more fame and automatically more money, but I don't know if it compensates the cost of the sdk and flash debugger
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I don't think they did a very good job on the the debugger anyway. It works as debugger but the emulation is so poor that it won't debug everything properly.
And the support part of TI is supposed to give you support, so that's their job, but they did not give me any useful support ever. They're supposed to know how the calc works so that they can help you if you have problems with it, so they're supposed to have documentation, even if it's just the normal manual. If they don't have any documentation they're not doing their job. So maybe the purpose of the support section gave me the idea that they might actually give you support?

Why are we complaining about TI? We're supposed to hit on hotmail and outlook here!

So, @driesguldolf: I would move to gmail and leave your hotmail account as spam address, always useful to have. That's the right thing to do with hotmail.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

How literal.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

King Harold wrote:I would move to gmail and leave your hotmail account as spam address, always useful to have. That's the right thing to do with hotmail.
hehe, I'll do that
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Yeah well maybe not.

My gmail account published absolutely nowhere as I don't even use it myself. I even get sex ads from gmail itself.

My hotmail account is spammed all over the internet as I use it for everything yet it only gets one spam mail a month or something and that one mail is filtered correctly into the junk mail folder.

Fuck gmail.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Interesting ... my experience is basically the exact opposite.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Bad luck?
Outlook doesn't download from the spam folder anyway
The google ad is a bit.. odd..
google should ban sex ads.. but they probably won't since they make money from them
Atleast gmail lets you use POP3, hotmail wants you use use that uber slow web thing of theirs that spends a lot of time doing nothing (use taskmanager to see your network and cpu activity if you don't believe me)
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Yeah google makes money from the ads. Wouldn't be surprised if they made money from datamining and email addresses either. Random international dictionary attack against email addresses being responsable for 419 spam emails (after filters)? Yeah, right.

Hotmail wants you to pay $19 for POP3 service. At least Microsoft is clear and predictable in it's marketing even when it's more in their favor than constructive for the market.

Also, you can keep your FUD. I know what Hotmail does and does not. I know what MSN does and does not. I know what MSN Messenger does and does not. I click the mail button, it opens IE. 2-12% CPU 21MB RAM. Loads hotmail.com with my account open. No pauses. No shady connections. No nothing. 2-8% CPU, 22MB RAM. http://megagames.com 2-8% CPU, 24MB RAM. http://cbc.ca 4-19%CPU. 26MB RAM. http://filefront.com 0-16% CPU 32MB RAM. Hotmail is fine. It does what it tells you it does, nothing more nothing less.

Google? That's some shady shit.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Shady yes.. but free
Does it really costs Microsoft $19 if you use POP3? I bet not. They just want your money.
400 out of 419 isn't really bad either, how long did it take to accumulate that much?