Using Mozilla Thunderbird

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Using Mozilla Thunderbird

Post by driesguldolf »

Hi, I would like to use mozilla thunderbird (hereafter tb) to get my email from www.hotmail.com (I use windows xp sp2)

When tb starts up (and you don't have an account yet) the account wizzard pops up, after a while he asks for 'server information', the incoming and outgoing servers, but i have no idea what I have to fill in for hotmail

does anyone know what aI have to do? After I did some googling I seem to remeber that hotmail doesn't support thuderbird or something...

Thanks
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

It is not possible to retrieve hotmail email from any other source but hotmail webmail. Unless you pay for premium hotmail services.

What you can do is have forward email from your hotmail account to, say, a gmail account which you can retrieve mail from in third party clients. This is not possible with a setting in hotmail itself however, so you need some sort of automation tool to access your hotmail and forward everything.

This site seems to offer such a tool:
http://www.e-eeasy.com/GetMail.aspx

It wouldn't be too difficult to write a little program or script yourself to do this for you, in case you don't like the tool this site offers.
Last edited by hop on Sat 23 Jun, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

hotmail doesn't want you to do that, gmail doesn't mind though so just use gmail..
In fact, microsofts own email thing (outlook) doesn't even want to work together with hotmail, and it will complain that it "no longer works with free email services", which obviously isn't true since it works with gmail.
lol @ microsoft for blocking their own products
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

King Harold, they do not block their own services in Outlook. You can't access them because you don't have a premium Hotmail account. If you did then Outlook would work fine with it.

$$$
Last edited by hop on Sat 23 Jun, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

@KH: If they would allow outlook to get the mail, then they would've to allow all other clients aswell.

lol@KH for not understanding
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Understanding? Want a screenshot of that warning?
They don't explicitly block their POP3, outlook tells you it will not work with free email addresses, which equals blocking their own email since it's free.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

King Harold wrote:Understanding? Want a screenshot of that warning?
They don't explicitly block their POP3, outlook tells you it will not work with free email addresses, which equals blocking their own email since it's free.
Hotmail has no POP3. It has nothing to do with outlook. I don't need a screenshot of that warning :O
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

King Harold wrote:Understanding? Want a screenshot of that warning?
That warning is probably because they try to oversimplify for users who have no idea what pop3 or imap is. It's not blocking anything.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Hotmail Plus (paid service) supports full POP3 access, just like all Hotmail used to support it untill 2004 or so.

Get it here: http://get.live.com/mailplus/features

More information and other (paid) Outlook -> Hotmail possibilities from Microsoft here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlo ... 51033.aspx
Access e-mail messages, contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes

You need to use the Outlook Connector and to subscribe to one of the following MSN Premium Services:

* Outlook Live
* MSN Premium
* MSN Dial-up
Last edited by hop on Sat 23 Jun, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

They're saying they do
So they're lying?
You can't talk this right, either they lie or they've blocked their own email, and that's both stupid.
As if they needed to make outlook even worse than it is.. Outlook is the only program on my computer that crashes atleast once a week, and it has always done that so it doesn't have anything to do with 3rd party software either.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Free Hotmail has no POP3 service at all, since 2004, so there's no service to be blocked. You can't block something that doesn't excist.

The paid Hotmail subscriptions get full POP3 services that work with Outlook or any other POP3 e-mail client.
Last edited by hop on Sat 23 Jun, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

So they made a useless program?
They have an email service without POP3 so their own email client can't even connect with it?
That's just as bad as blocking it (which the message says it does)
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Outlook has many functions and is usefull for connecting to POP3 services, which you're not trying to do, so no it's not useless.

Yes, they have an email service without POP3 and yes one of their clients can't connect to that specific email service because of it. However, there is still the webclient that works just fine with it, and you can buy the additional POP3 service for your Hotmail or use a forwarding tool.

The message does not say it is blocked, it says it can't work with it. And it can't. And no it's not just as bad as blocking it because you can still access your Hotmail through Outlook directly if you pay for the additional service.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

That's even worse, they're setting it up so that you have to pay to make use of it, and someone else made work-around tools like the forwarding tool in order not to have to give microsoft even more money
So they blocked hotmail access - not in outlook but in hotmail. The error message btw says that it "will not work with free email addresses", which is open to multiple interpretations: "refuses to work if you don't want to pay", "is unable to work because the working of the program relies on your paying money", "this program is sponsored only by paid email service providers and will only work with sponsoring providers", or anything else along those lines.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

King Harold wrote:So they made a useless program?
They have an email service without POP3 so their own email client can't even connect with it?
That's just as bad as blocking it (which the message says it does)
Hmmm...
I'm not sure you get it just yet.

You see a multi-billion dollar company is huge. Microsoft is no exception. In other words Outlook was made with no intention to support Hotmail, nor was hotmail made with any intention to integrate with Outlook. Hotmail was made to support a standard protocol, and did so till 2004. In all likeliness the people who made outlook and made hotmail, have never even heard of each other.

It was the same with the TI discussion. You emailed Asking for the source. They said no. Thing is you never spoke with TI, you spoke with a company they hired to handle the customer service service, So you talk to a person has no relation to TI other a name on a pay check.
That's even worse, they're setting it up so that you have to pay to make use of it
A company making you pay for 2 unrelated products? HOW DARE THEY! When I buy one product from a company I expect all other products to be free and fully intergratable.

Most people who use outlook are doing so with private owned or licensed email servers. I'd say statistically it would probably the Dilbert type.

You don't have to pay hotmail to use outlook.