I Got a Wii !!!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Halifax wrote:Jim_e: are you seriously kidding me. The hype of the CELL processor?? The CELL processor is most definetly the best console processor out there as we speak right now. It is a f***ing 128-bit CPU in RISC clocking at 4Ghz. This means that each SPE and the central processor has 128 registers each waying in at 128-bits. So that is 1024 128-bit registers across the CELL. The CELL can crank through 256 billion floating-point operations. Now tell me how many x360 can do?? The CELL's internal memory transfer between SPEs reaching in the hunderds. And bandwidth. Do you even want to go there?? 384 GB/s.
The cell is not designed for gaming. If you are doing computational fluid dynamics the cell is the boss. Folding at home is probably the best demonstration of what it can do and what it was designed for. But Gaming code is not so structured, organized, or even optimized, it goes every where. So when your limited to 256kb program and data size for each SPE, then yeah the cell is craptastic caching bitch.

@homestar: Portables, like I said!
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

The Cell being better than competition but not as good as it should be does not make the Wii any better than it is.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Ummm 256kb per program. Whoever runs a program on a SPE is just stupid. SPE's were made for little-medium processor intensive calculations and threads. The PowerPC is the big boss in the CELL that can send out things by its own schedule or the user can create a scheduler or the compiler can do it. Either way who would run programs on a SPE. Unless it was to like simulate water through the whole game.

Jim_E: you still have failed to tell me what the x360 can do. Can you please inform me?
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Halifax wrote:Jim_E: you still have failed to tell me what the x360 can do. Can you please inform me?
Why would I tell you that? I think you forgot the point. I'm not saying the Cell is weaker than the 360 processor, that's just not true. I'm saying it's typically not suited for this task, and when it comes to the practical uses for gaming, it doesn't do to much more than the 360. What got us on the topic was that I said Sony over hyped it, they did. They thought it could do anything, even graphics, but they coped out at the last second and went with stock nvidia. So now they have a very expensive CPU that had very little planning backing it in the graphics department.

I don't think debating potential is worth the time it takes to type. Right now the Wii is the winner because it's out selling the rest. Everyone said the 2 screens were a gimmick then for some odd reason the DS wouldn't stop selling. Seems to be whats happening now. I really don't like the fact that Nintendo aimed so low. Even worse is that Sony aimed insanely high, and MS thought it had to compete with it.

What pisses me off is that none of them seem to be thinking ahead too much. Chances are, Nintendo's next console still won't have the prowess of either 360 or ps3. Xbox will just do another specs upgrade. And sony...good god they will probably try for an $800 dollar console that requires the user to drill a 9 inch hole in their cerebellum.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Out of all of the systems though, I had the highest hopes for the xbox360. Graphically its much more capable than the PS3. Processing it matches the PS3 in practical real world situations.
I guess that just sounded like you were saying in matched it in processing power.

Anyways all I have to say is this. IIRC when the EmotionEngine first came on the scene. Everyone was crying "Sony expects us to program 3D games in assembly. This is madness and mayhem. Sony will die". That doesn't seem to have happened since the PS2 has clearly outsold every console in previous-gen, current-gen, and next-gen. Anyways to show what I mean about how the PS3 will advance. Let's take a look at what the PS2 did. In release here was one of the games.

NBA Live 2004:
http://www.nlgaming.com/games/1906/%5Cnba04_ss04PS2.jpg

It looked sad to say the least compared to now. But good in its time. Gameplay was horrible though.

NBA The Life 06:
http://www.dignews.com/admin/screenshoot/nba_06_07.jpg

Now that looks quite a bit better graphically. And I have to say gameplay was amazing. Perfect fluid animations. Great move selection. At the time I didn't think it could get any better than that

NCAA 2K7:
http://www.2ksports.com/_img/screens/ch ... 1906_1.jpg

Oooo but that looks quite a bit better. Same gameplay as the life but more selection for moves and more animations. Plus cloth simulation as you can see in the screenshot. Now in just one year it leaped like that.

NBA The Life 07(PS3):
http://www.ugo.com/images/galleries/nba ... 7ps3_1.jpg

In one year when NBA The Life came to PS3. Look at that amazing full polygonal uniforms that react to the atomosphere. Great lighting. Fully 3D crowd. Amazing character animation and sweat running down the players dynamically.

History repeats itself and it has been proven many a times before outside of the console world and inside of it.

Now let's just agree to disagree.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Halifax wrote:Anyways all I have to say is this. IIRC when the EmotionEngine first came on the scene. Everyone was crying "Sony expects us to program 3D games in assembly. This is madness and mayhem. Sony will die". That doesn't seem to have happened since the PS2 has clearly outsold every console in previous-gen, current-gen, and next-gen. Anyways to show what I mean about how the PS3 will advance. Let's take a look at what the PS2 did. In release here was one of the games.
The PS2 had several advantages over the other consoles.

Except for home brewers no one owned a Dreamcast.

GCN just didn't offer enough. It was only $100 less, it had tiny little low capacity discs no one liked, it got the kiddy console branding real fast, lacked 3rd party, lacked online, and for some odd reason they didn't want it to play DVD's. A $300 dollar DVD player combo console was actually a good deal at the time. The first I saw a DVD was on a PS2.

Xbox came late and left early, that's it.

But aren't you saying it your self now? We all know there are real graphics improvements since the last gen, but what about the gameplay advancements? To be honest most of my favorites are still on the n64.

Now let's just agree to disagree.
If we both agree to disagree, we wouldn't be disagreeing now would we.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Sheesh Jim_e do you have to dissect everything some says. That is a little annoying it is just a saying. And didn't I talk about the gameplay up there?
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

It's a joke.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Oh alright. Well I didn't see a smiley face or anything so...

My bad I am sorry Jim_e.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I guess you really do need a GPU w/ lots of pixel pipelines?

it'd be really nice if they got decent ray processing units working and OpenRT completed for realtime raytracing engines. but that's probably unlikely :(
Image Image Image
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

I think the biggest reason the PS3 isn't selling is price, and it looks (or seems) too similar to the last gen. Not to mention it looks like a refrigerator, which is cheaper...

ahem...

But also, I think they jumped on the Blu-ray technology too soon. Hi-def is amazing, but, most people can't afford it (yet) in a few years everyone'll be there, but not yet. So, though the graphics may be awesome, whether the processor can handle 2000Ghz or 2 won't make much of a difference if you use a regular old Cathode ray tube TV.

So Nintendo went for gameplay improvements. Fortunately they went for regular sized CD's this time around... (I'll assume they hold more then they look, the GC ones held quite a bit) but using the wiimote is really rather fun. It adds quite a bit to the gaming experience. You feel much more involved in the game with it on!

My thoughts,

Wii- 1UP on gameplay
PS3- 1UP on graphics

gameplay>graphics

360? I just don't know... it almost doesn't feel like the current gen of console because they released it so early...

Anywho, my two cents.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

OpenRT looks pretty sweet, but i havent checked out anything about it in years. They still only seem to have the demos from 4-5 years ago around on their site:

http://www.openrt.de/
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

i think hardware will become a major factor for realtime raytracing to succeed.

just like how current GPUs are designed to improve DX and Opengl performance?
Image Image Image
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Liazon: It seems possible in the future but I doubt consoles will ever be close to that anytime soon since they are always behind. PS4 is rumored to be released in 2010, and there has also been rumors that the new president won't even release a PS4. Either way I don't care since it is so early in the game.

But yes raytracing games would be very cool. Then programmers wouldn't have to spend time developing all these shaders, although that is a very fun and rewarding part of programming a game.

@cheat: I have to agree with your post. Although I don't know if a 360 looks like a previous-gen console. I mean all I have to say about the 360 is more selection isn't always the best. I mean seriously it would be hard to decide what to get picking from Core, Premium, and Elite. Then comes the accessories. IMO cross-platform games between 360 and PS3 look better on the 360.

Also I think PS3 was ahead of its time, but what other area could they expand? I am guessing they felt threatened by Microsoft after seeing their release and that's why they wanted the Blu-ray to seperate from the other consoles. I mean the price for PS3 is reasonable judging by what's inside, but overall I think it is going to be a huge failure. The main thing they had going for them was the exclusive release of GTA on their console and God of War. GTA is gone out the door as exclusive so now GoW is all they can count on to me unless they come out with some new great game because all games all being developed cross-platform these days.