Nintendo Wii - $250

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

well I wasnt talking about the wii.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

CompWiz wrote:but if the Wii is outputting standard definition, a HDTV will not enable you to see more. It will emulate a SDTV, and assign like 4 pixels per each pixel it is sent from the Wii. So, no, you won't get HDTV resolution
That's not entirely true, the upconverter sometimes does improve the image quality(this may be only by preference). They wouldn't just be performing a nearest neighborhood scaling you know.

Sounds like Australia is going to run out. Though you already pre-ordered right tr1p?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes i pre-ordered over 2 months ago :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

wow, they still havent started preorders over here yet. we have a EBgames on campus here, but im sure they will run out quick since i hear a lot of ppl here want it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

US gets more than 1.000.000 Wii's, so I don't think they will be sold out over there...

I wonder how much europe gets. On the other hand, i'm first on the list, meaning I'll get one anyway _O_
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

I played on one!

The mall I work at allowed the staff to play on it the day before the preview machines were out...

OMG! IT was great!

The New Zelda is fun! I didn't get very far before someone else played, but i rode Epona around to herd goats....

Excite Truck is great, it shows off the Wii Controllers ability to act like a steering wheel...

Wii Play and Wii Sports were fun too... I beat my buddy at boxing ;)

5 stars.!!! The ps3 I played on sucked so bad, bugs were everywhere in the games!
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

I could buy two gamecubes (both of which come with one game and a controller) and Zelda for $250. Then I could tape those together to make a system more powerful than the Wii, and play multiplayer games without dropping an additional $60 for a second controller.

The Wii costs way too much. Price drop soon, please.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

A second controller is only $49.99 afaik (without nunchuck). Also Zelda won't play in 16:9, 480p, progessive scan and get downloads, will it?

Also the controls seems to be better on the Wii.

I'm ok, when you say the price is to high for you, but please stop the stupid comparision with the GameCube. That's really out of place.

Zelda scores btw really high until now :) 5/5 on gamespy for example.

P.s.: A nice article of Maddox :P http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... y_bullshit
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

kv83 wrote:Also Zelda won't play in 16:9, 480p, progessive scan and get downloads, will it?
Needless to say, I don't own a TV capable of that. Wouldn't hooking it up to my internet require the purchase of a router and a USB-ethernet adapter, as well?
kv83 wrote:I'm ok, when you say the price is to high for you, but please stop the stupid comparision with the GameCube. That's really out of place.
Gamecube launched for $200 and was much more "cutting edge" for its time than the Wii is now.

Nintendo is only able to charge so much because its competitors have hardware so drastically more powerful than theirs. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the console and I'll certainly be getting it eventually, I'm just shocked nobody else is perturbed to overpay so much.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

For internet you have different options;
- USB-ethernet adapter
- Router
- Ethernet-kit (for cable)
All options are around $29 afaik. Needless to say you should be ashamed if you don't have a wireless router yet... (Also shame on you for not having a decent tv :P)
Gamecube launched for $200 and was much more "cutting edge" for its time than the Wii is now.
Graphic-wise, maybe, gameplay-wise, nope.

It's not overpay. It's a decent price imo. You get a "game" for free, internet-out-of-the-box (opera), some nice extra features and new gameplay.

Of course not everyone is "able" to buy one, and I can understand that. So waiting for a pricedrop is the best option than, which will come early next year, when the "Wii Q" (dvd player included) will launch.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

When did $250 become a lot of money to pay for today's generation of consoles? It's even well into expectable price range of previous consoles. I'm guessing the orignal NES didn't cost much more or less, and neither did the consoles of the previous generation untill XBOX360 came out. As was said, the Gamecube was released for $200, and it was the cheapest of it's generation of consoles. By far. Plus, western economy has strengthened considerably. More than enough to make up for $50 fo a much more revolutionary console.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

kv83 wrote:It's not overpay. It's a decent price imo. You get a "game" for free, internet-out-of-the-box (opera), some nice extra features and new gameplay.
What extra features? There aren't any extra features. And Opera isn't free. Wii-sports is a series of demos.

Photo channel: OMGSPLOSION JPEGS!!!
Mii channel: OMG that guy kinda doesn't look like mee.
Weather & News channel: WTF? Im not 60.
Of course not everyone is "able" to buy one, and I can understand that. So waiting for a pricedrop is the best option than, which will come early next year, when the "Wii Q" (dvd player included) will launch.
They have already stated that DVD version will have a price increase. They said it requires more than a firmware update, which is bull I think. They just didn't leave a way to preform all the firmware updates they need.

Wii Q? If your thinking of the dvd playing version of the gamecube that was made by panasonic. I think the nick more commonly used for the dvd Wii is "Wii-VD" (oh yay pun!).
When did $250 become a lot of money to pay for today's generation of consoles? It's even well into expectable price range of previous consoles. I'm guessing the original NES didn't cost much more or less, and neither did the consoles of the previous generation until XBOX360 came out. As was said, the Gamecube was released for $200, and it was the cheapest of it's generation of consoles. By far. Plus, western economy has strengthened considerably. More than enough to make up for $50 fo a much more revolutionary console.
$250 becomes a lot when significantly little has changed. The cpu and gpu are just improved, not totally invented. The internal flash memory is of a laughable size, hell I have more flash memory in my pants right now than the Wii has. The SDK has already been noted for being the same just improved to allow easier porting to the Wii.

The only thing revolutionary about it is the controller which, with the lack of basic features that every other console and toaster have included by default, doesn't justify an extra $50.

So far my impression of the Wii is that its an overpriced underpowered money printing machine for Nintendo. If they even come remotely close to selling outs their units they would have pushed 10 times as many units as the PS3, and with each unit Nintendo is making a decent profit.

Of course this is an excellent game plan for Nintendo. Who will game companies want their coders deving for? The pricey PS3 which only 400,000 units exist or the cheap Wii which 4 million units exist. Yay budget demographic!!

This opinion is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Well, it seems like keeping the price at $250 is good business. I think that I read that parts of Europe have already sold out of Wii systems in the pre-orders, so lowering the price would only have the effect of decreasing profits. I'm hoping they lower the price next year, as I'd really rather not pay so much for it.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Jim e wrote:
kv83 wrote:It's not overpay. It's a decent price imo. You get a "game" for free, internet-out-of-the-box (opera), some nice extra features and new gameplay.
What extra features? There aren't any extra features. And Opera isn't free. Wii-sports is a series of demos.
Opera is free in the first 6 months. So if you donwload it then, it's free. OMG! Owned
Photo channel: OMGSPLOSION JPEGS!!!
+ QuickTime Movies, Editing, Diashow, MP3 ... OWNAGE
Mii channel: OMG that guy kinda doesn't look like mee.
To bad for you, but; " We wasted no time in designing versions of ourselves and some of our creations looked eerily like us. The concept may seem silly, but there is something to seeing a caricature of yourself running around on the tennis court or getting pummeled in boxing." (source: IGN) OMG, owned again!
Weather & News channel: WTF? Im not 60.
It's easy to check weather before you leave. Nothing special, but it's there, it's free... why complain.

Also note that the Wii will get updates and propably new channels every so often.
They have already stated that DVD version will have a price increase. They said it requires more than a firmware update, which is bull I think. They just didn't leave a way to preform all the firmware updates they need.

Wii Q? If your thinking of the dvd playing version of the gamecube that was made by panasonic. I think the nick more commonly used for the dvd Wii is "Wii-VD" (oh yay pun!).
Oh yay, you know shit of the Wii Hardware. It has no dvd-laser, which makes it impossible to read dvd's. It uses optical discs, just as the gamecube... only bigger. It's another laser, so a firmware update is impossible. Do I hear "owned again"?

Bottomline: Know your infooooo!
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

I'd rather pay the console off at once, in stead of having to pay 10$ per game more to make up for the losses they made at selling the console. Like with the 360.