Progress Thread - New demo - Cobra Mk III (18-May-08)

A full (6DOF) 3D engine for TI-83 based calculators.

Moderator: qarnos

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

the new jedi order wasn't that bad. It wasn't as good as Timothy Zahn's Star wars books, but it wasn't as bad as some of the clone wars books either. Some of the books in it were nice.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

More and more impressive - but I'd love to see what performance is like when the ship is filled :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, I was wondering about the fill. How is that coming? The wireframe looks great, but I'm sure the shading could make this look really amazing. :)
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

First of all, I promise I will try to watch Star Wars sometime in the near future! :D

With regards to polygonal spaceships, I haven't written the software to generate the BSP trees yet (the original BSP demo used a hand-coded tree), so I haven't got a solid ship. I'm not sure the framerate would be too spectacular for that particular object. It has about 40 faces. Backface culling would eliminate about half, but that's still a lot of faces. Maybe 3-4 fps?

The object is way too detailed, however, and could easily be reduced to something more managable.

I might delay the next demo/source release until I have finished the BSP tree-alizer, which should be this weekend.

On a side note, I think I may have a "proper" name for this engine: Aether

This allows me to have a proper name without having to rename all my routines: The "al" at the start of each routine now stands for Aether Library :D
"I don't know why a refrigerator is now involved, but put that aside for now". - Jim e on unitedti.org

avatar courtesy of driesguldolf.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I like the name. And also, it seems like it would be a good idea to stick to simpler ships so the fps doesnt drop so low. I can't wait to see the next demo. :D

Oh, make sure to watch star wars starting with Episode 4: a new hope, and not Ep. 1 phantom menace. Enjoy. :)
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

A derail from another project has got me back working on this old thing again. Hopefully I can finish it this time round. I'll release the source soon anyhow, so hopefully someone can pick it up if I get distracted again. :)

There have been a few internal changes but nothing that's really obvious from the outside. The 3D clipping code now seems to be crash-proof although I have noticed a couple of problems with correctness which I will have to figure out.

The polygon filler also seems to have a bug which I don't remember being there (talk about code rot!). It sometimes misses some horizontal scans.

Anyway, I made a (very short) runway to see how it would work with an object that might actually be used in a game and apart from the clipping problem, it seems to handle it OK. I have an 84+ these days, and it runs about 40-50fps on that :twisted:. PTI screen:

Here's another PTI screen demonstrating the clipping and polygon problems. Notice the left side of the screen (it could be something to do with signed numbers, since that is the negative side):

If anybody wants to run the program (still called DEMOCUBE :D), you can download it here.

The keys have changed since last time:

[enter] Toggles between object and camera control (indicated by CAM or OBJ in top right corner of screen).

[+/-] move the current object forward and backward

[Left/Right] controls roll
[Up/Down] controls pitch
[1/3] controls yaw

[mode] exit program

Once I've tidied a few things up I'll start doing source releases again.

In the meantime, enjoy this crappy demo! :D
Last edited by qarnos on Sat 24 Nov, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know why a refrigerator is now involved, but put that aside for now". - Jim e on unitedti.org

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

post removed
Last edited by DJ_O on Fri 11 Jan, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

DJ Omnimaga wrote:wow nice to see an old member come back. Lot of ppl were worried you retired completly for good -.-

You may not know me though, as I wasn't active on MC from march 2006 to july 2007, I am the reuben/reign of legends/illusiat guy actually. But I checked your project often and was impressed by how fast it ran for 3D and it would be awesome if that stuff was used in games :)

and I see you're from australia like tr1p1ea, did you ever met him in person?
I think I remember seeing your name about the place. :)

I've never met tr1p - IIRC, he lives in Geelong and I'm on the other side of Melbourne. At least we're in the same state!

GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

Nice ! I've been planning to write a tutorial for the Juha3d routines, but now I can consider writing something more generic once your source code is available.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

Looks good.
qarnos wrote:I have an 84+ these days, and it runs about 40-50fps on that
You can run and take screenshots of the 84+ in Wabbitemu, an emulator by me and Jim e. That might help you add to the wow factor for complex scenes.

http://www.revsoft.org/wabbitemu.zip
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

GuillaumeH wrote:Nice ! I've been planning to write a tutorial for the Juha3d routines, but now I can consider writing something more generic once your source code is available.
Interesting. What exactly did you have in mind?
Spencer wrote:Looks good.
qarnos wrote:I have an 84+ these days, and it runs about 40-50fps on that
You can run and take screenshots of the 84+ in Wabbitemu, an emulator by me and Jim e. That might help you add to the wow factor for complex scenes.

http://www.revsoft.org/wabbitemu.zip
It looks great, but I couldn't get it to accept my 84+ ROM (downloaded using rom8x). 83+ worked fine, however.

driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

qarnos wrote:It looks great, but I couldn't get it to accept my 84+ ROM (downloaded using rom8x). 83+ worked fine, however.
Yea, I had the same problem... The only difference is that my laptop doesn't have a serial port... So there was only one option left... (points at signature :mrgreen:)

This looks really nice! Though the imperfectness is kind of annoying :P, not that I can do it better of course :worship:
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Can't believe I missed this post! :D

Certainly looks very impressive, as always. :)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

qarnos wrote:It looks great, but I couldn't get it to accept my 84+ ROM (downloaded using rom8x). 83+ worked fine, however.
Well for the 84+ the only key detail to getting it to run is the rom size, it should be 2MB. However I have yet to directly support 8xus in wabbitemu, so you'll need to make sure the rom already has an os installed.
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Dropping 85/86 support.

Post by qarnos »

Does anybody mind if I drop 85/86 support from this engine?

I have been keeping it abstract enough to make porting easy, but it now seems that the library will have to reside in flash (the code itself currently runs up to BA00h) and I really couldn't be bothered worrying about other calcs.

Does anybody still use these?