[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

wow, those sparkles look really nice. Just like in the original game. Great effects man! ... Only wondering why the flame sprite is not masked :) ah well... good job... and we know how it is to hunt those nasty bugs :P
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow that sparkling animation looks great! But how could you set the tapestry on fire?! :).

Its good that this project is garning more and more recognition.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Like I said, you won't actually be able to do that in the final version of the game. That's why I didn't bother masking the flame sprite. It's just for demonstrative purposes. ;)
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

I never played the original Loom. How many spells will be in your game?
When I first heard that there is magic involved in Loom, I thought of RPGish battles.

Is it 'only' the world map / inside houses etc?

What about inventory and items and stuff?
Revolution Software
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

There are 13 spells... to prevent spoilers, I won't name them though :P ...

As far as I know, there is no "overworld", or "map"... if you leave one area, you just come right in to the next (e.g.: leave the "house" and you are on the "beach")... unlike Monkey Island, which had an map

And there are no items
Wiki with spoilers wrote:A departure from earlier (and later) LucasArts adventure games in many senses, LOOM is based on a serious and complex fantasy story. With its experimental interface, it eschewed the traditional paradigm of graphical adventures, where puzzles usually involve interactions between the game character, the environment, and multiple items the character can take into their possession.

LOOM's gameplay centers instead around magical four-note tunes (drafts) that the protagonist, Bobbin Threadbare, can play on his distaff. Each draft is a spell that has an effect of a certain type, such as "Opening" or "Night Vision". Drafts can be learned by observing an object that possess the qualities of the relevant draft; for example, examining a blade while it is being sharpened gives the player the "Sharpen" draft.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

That looks great! :D

Just curious, How will people be able to remember what notes are for what spells? As you learn them, do you fill them in on a list or something so you can go back and check them if you forget?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

It's called "Notebook" :lol:
Yeh, a spell book would be cool indeed.
Revolution Software
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

CompWiz wrote:Just curious, How will people be able to remember what notes are for what spells? As you learn them, do you fill them in on a list or something so you can go back and check them if you forget?
This is a dilema for me. The obvious solution is just to write them down as your learn them, but I want this game to be as "playable" as possible... in other words, you could take it out in math class and play for 10 mins and then close it down. This game will probably be autosaved every time you change maps, which is different from the original (where you created a new save file every time you wanted to save)... which means you don't have the option of going back a few stages if you forgot something.

I am considering some kind of on-calc spell book... though it won't keep track of spells for you automatically. It would basically just be a notepad type thing, where you could keep notes if you wanted. Part of the challenge is trying to figure out what a spell is after you get it. I'll probably wait till the beta test and get feedback from people who play it as to what would be the best option.

As a side note, it won't be too hard to remember the spells. As KV said, there are only about a dozen of them, and 3 of those you both learn and use at the very last part of the game.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:I am considering some kind of on-calc spell book... though it won't keep track of spells for you automatically. It would basically just be a notepad type thing, where you could keep notes if you wanted. Part of the challenge is trying to figure out what a spell is after you get it. I'll probably wait till the beta test and get feedback from people who play it as to what would be the best option.
Something like that sounds good. How about when you see that there is some spell being played(or however you discover it) you can push a button to store the notes in the spellbook. Then, it can also give you the option of putting a little bit of notes in there on it, so you can write down what you think the spell does.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

that sounds like a grand idea...oh and a beta test? Cool man, this game looks sweet, I love the sparkles, I cant wait to see this game in it's final stages. I never played the original, so this is going to be fun watching this project blossom!
The Revolution is here...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

hey, make sure to count me in for the beta test. This game looks great. :)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I will need all the beta testers I can round up, so you will certainly get an invite ;).
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Put me on that list.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I played the original Loom and will happy to play it again on a calc, so put me on that list if you please :)
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Yea, the original Loom rocked, so count me in for beta test ;)