Status

Pure BASIC fun!

Moderator: DarkAuron

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Status

Post by DarkAuron »

Just letting you guys know I am still working on Tankies, well.. actually I havn't touched it for awhile, but I spent yesterday and today at school typing it back into my calc (I have a written copy in my journal) and it works fine, so I'm probably going to work on the landscape code during computer science.

Right now I'm in my world history class, and I'm not supposed to be posting on the board but eh, I already have my research info on Einstein at home :P That and some idiots in my class think they're able to get away with playing music on the computers. Idiots.
Last edited by DarkAuron on Thu 17 Mar, 2005 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

NOOO DDR!! DDR! oh well, good to hear Tankies is being worked on :wink:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
T0RM3N7
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Tankies

Post by T0RM3N7 »

DarkAuron wrote:Right now I'm in my world history class, and I'm not supposed to be posting on the board but eh, I already have my research info on Einstein at home :P That and some idiots in my class think they're able to get away with playing music on the computers. Idiots.
I know what you mean DarkAuron :( .
so what's Tankies like??
in any case i hope it goes well :D
girls=time*money
time=money
girls=money*money
money is the root of all evil
girls=(evil^1/2)*(evil^1/2)
girls=(evil^1/2)^2
girls=evil

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

It's like Scorched Earth, but completely done in BASIC. It has a few quirks here and there, like being able to move around the landscape with limited movement. The game is inspired by Gunbound, and below are some animated screenshots of it in action. It's still in the works of course, but it's very close to being finished.

The landscape destruction is about 30x faster than in the screenshot now, as I've changed from pixel-by-pixel drawing of a circle to using Line(). Why I didn't originally think of it, I don't know, but I believe it was Durk that suggested using Line().

Anyhow, nothing new if you saw Tankies from the old MC board.

Last edited by DarkAuron on Tue 06 Sep, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

looks pretty good. reminds me of BANGBANG4. One of the greatest Ti-BASIC games ever written.
bananas... o.o
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

are you going to introduce some sort of line which shows the angel you are shooting in?
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Doing so makes the gameplay almost impossibly slow; I've tried coding that, and theres no way I can add that in unless I want to have people take 2 minutes trying to get from angle 360 to angle 180..
Mike K

Post by Mike K »

How about a little single-pixle aiming marker, the player moves the marker instead of selecting an angle, the angle is selected automatically from where the player puts the marker?

-Mike
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

DarkAuron wrote:Doing so makes the gameplay almost impossibly slow; I've tried coding that, and theres no way I can add that in unless I want to have people take 2 minutes trying to get from angle 360 to angle 180..
You could make it so, that when the player press fire he shows the help line, and then the player can either confirm or cancel
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Hey, that's a good idea. Although after toying with Tankies enough, I've gotten used to using the values, and I think players might be okay with that. While that feature won't be directly in the game, it might spark itself in the Secret Options menu, which you can't access unless you know the special code that you type in the regular options menu. We'll see.

Now, for a listing of the features of Tankies!

::Current features already completed::
-New menu system that puts Menu() to shame, with animated selection cursor and extended functionality.
-Scrollable help screen for controls info.
-Changeable options, including: Enabling/Disabling of special screen closing and opening effect when loading and exiting gameplay; 'Hidden' shots that are invisible until they hit something.. meant to challenge those who are insane; Changeable gravity from 3 different values
-3 Landscape modes to choose from: Random, Island, and Mountain
-'Secret' options menu: details unknown 8)
-Moveable tank during gameplay (soon to be limited movement per turn)
-Able to die by suicide, attack from enemy, or falling off the landscape to the pits of LCDless
-Angle and power control for shots
-Destroyable landscape!
-..and anything else that hadn't been mentioned

::Features originally planned for completion of Tankies, yet to be implemented::
-Wind that affects shots, and changes every now and then during gameplay
-A second tank to fight with, either AI or 2nd player.

::Extra features recently thought of that will probably be found in Tankies at a website near you (or something)::
-Different tanks to choose from, from the following (listed are also the pros and cons of each):
--Shooty:
---Pro: can shoot farther and shots are less affected by wind, and can move much further
---Con: has less health, does less damage, and has smaller explosions from its shots
--Powy:
---Pro: has more health, does more damage, and has much larger explosions from shots
---Con: can't shoot very far and shots are heavily affected by wind; also can't really move much
--Tanky:
---Pro: average of the above two tanks
---Con: has no specialties
-Pre-made landscapes generated from equations
-Landscapes that can be instantly created from Pic files; Pic files can be supplied quickly and easily be anyone, however the top 15 or so rows cannot have anything in them, except possibly a design within unused parts
-Adjustable AI level for enemy AI tank
-Stats system that records hit % average for all games, total games won and lost (single player only).
-Special one-time use shots for each tank.
-And possibly more will be thought of in the future!

Reason for posting all this information is that I fixed the bug I got stuck with awhile back, and I'm in gear of coding Tankies again; thus the completion of Tankies is coming even closer :)
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

A little update with example landscapes generated from each of the current landscape choices:
Random:

Island:

Mountain:

As an added bonus, here's an animation of the Insaniquarium in BASIC that I made during world history class on friday
Last edited by DarkAuron on Tue 06 Sep, 2005 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

nice! I like insaqarium :D

will theire also be a terrain where the tanks have to shoot theire way ot before they can attack each other?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

ROFL! Insaniquarium! ... AWESOME!

Anyway, the terrain is destructable iirc.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

He's asking if the tanks will be stuck in places where it'd be impossible to directly hit a tank, where you'd have to tunnel your way out to be able to hit one another, and yes, that'll be possible, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll work yet. I did plan on making certain landscapes like that, however. Besides, theres nothing to stop a tank from hiding from another :D

Post by Guest »

I'm sure we've all played Pocket Tanks