[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

It's finally summer time again, which means it's programming time again.

This summer's project is a port of Loom, the classic LucasArts Graphic Adventure from back in the days when DOS was the only way to run your PC games.

Loom takes place during the Age of the Great Guilds. You are an outcast member of the Guild of Weavers who awakes on his 17th birthday to a messenger nymph calling you to visit the elders in the temple. You arive, and before your very eyes you see played out the end of the trial of Mother Hetchel, the only person who ever cared for you after your real mother's death. The elders condemn her to Transcendence, and weave a powerful draft to change her into a swan. But the draft backfires. She becomes an egg, and within moments a swan crashes through the large stained glass window of the sanctuary and weaves the Transcendence Draft on the elders themselves. The new flock of swans fly off amidst curses to your name, which leaves you totally confused since you have had nothing to do with any of this. You pick up the powerful magical distaff that elder Atropos was carrying, and weave an Opening draft upon Hetchel's egg. She emerges and tells you that the pattern of the universe is beginning to fail of its own accord, and within its fabrick the third shadow of chaos is starting to gather. You and your kind are left with only two options: turn yourselves into creatures of shadow, or plan your escape.

Here's a look at some details of the game:
  • TI83+ for Ion
  • 16 x 16 sprites on a 4 x 6 sprite sheet.
  • Black and white
  • Greyscale portraits and splash screens
  • Smooth scrolling
  • Over 2 dozen maps
  • Backgound music
  • Over 20 drafts (spells), formed with musical notes
On your adventure, you will meet members from the Guild of Glassblowers, the Guild of Shepherds, the Guild of Blacksmiths, and the Guild of Clerics. You will unravel a devious plot by one guild to rule the world, and fight the very force of Chaos herself.

Here's a picture of the trial of Hetchel. She is in the middle with the three elders on the sides. Behind Atropos is the Great Loom of the Weavers.

The Dialogue for this scene:
Atropos: You have heard the findings of this council, dame Hetchel. Have you anything to say in your own defense?
Hetchel: My elders, my actions speak for themselves.
Lachesis: This wreckless defiance is intollerable! Any secret you share with Cygna's son could be turned against us.
Hetchel: His powers are awakening, and the craft is very strong in him. We dare not desert him now.
Lachesis: Stuborn old fool, who are YOU to decide such things?
Atropos: Enough, Lachesis. Hetchel, I am grieved to see your many years of service end in such disgrace.
Hetchel: My destiny is your to weave.
Cletho: Hetchel, the fabrick of your life has been woven by your own choices.
Atropos: Gaze once more upon the great loom, if you would know your ultimate destiny...
FOR THAT DESTINY IS NOW UPON YOU!
Here's a look at Bobbin's (your) sprite:

Here's a look at the map of the sanctuary:

(The grey squares are just for my own grid reference... they won't appear in the game itself.)

In this screenie you can see the Long Tapestry, the prize of the Weavers which tells of the past, present, and future, and which is constantly being added to by the Great Loom. You can also see the large stained-glass window through which the swan flies.

The most destinctive (and hard for me to do) part of this game will be the music. The original PC game Loom has a beautiful soundtrack, which is based on music from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet. I plan to put music behind the cut scenes in the game, and possibly even behind the playable parts. The drafts that you weave are done by playing a series of 4 musical notes, so that part will obviously have sound too. Like the original game, there will be difficulty settings: one which shows you the notes as your learn and compose drafts (for those without headphones), and one which requires you to decipher the notes of a draft by hearing only the notes (obviously only playable if you have headphones).

Well, let me know what you think. I'd especially appreciate feedback on my sprites, as I'm not sure that people will be able to tell what they are. In the game there will be dialogue and possibly even some character portraits, so hopefully when the finished product is done, people will be able to figure it out.
Last edited by L4E_WakaMol-King on Thu 20 Apr, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Wow, that looks great. Even if you will just have it b/w it look awesome! :D
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Loom's ownage, can't wait for this, ask me for help if you want! ;)
Deeph

Post by Deeph »

Does the game is compatible with TI 83 ?
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I hightly doubt this game will be runnable on the 83. The game will be made of two files: the game itself and a giant data file to store all the text used. I doubt both of them will be able to fit in memory at the same time, and so without an archive, you probably won't be able to run this game.

Sorry :(.
Deeph

Post by Deeph »

It's too bad ! But, maybe I will buy a TI 84+ SE ?
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

That's too bad :( Luckily I have a 84+ :D
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Here's a look at the Splash Screen.

I'll be adding the word "Loom" later today, so stay tuned.

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Sweet... Looks so much like the real game...
/me seriously can't wait for this.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Wow, I never really played the game...But now I can;t wait!
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Ok, according to most, 7 color greyscale will be to much trouble when coupled with music, so I have (with much wailing and grinding of teeth) reduced it to 4 colors. Here's a picture of it with the actual title on it.

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

7 color greyscale is a lot... 4 color can be doable. And man, this looks great. Don't think this doesn't look good, cause it does (well, it'd look even better with 7 but this is ownage already).
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah, it looks great and your one step above most title screens! (being gs, and then add music!)..
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

What I need now is a link that will show me how to add the music. Actually, first I need to get a headphone jack converter. I assume I can find what I need on Radioshack's website or something like that?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I think that 4 colour titlescreen looks great, ther is no need to waste your time trying to pull off more shades.

Im sure that Jim e has done something similar to what you are trying to achieve, perhaps you should pm him for some info?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."