Linux-Which distributions do you use?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Which Linux distribution do you use?

Suse
No votes
Mandrake
9%
Gentoo
23%
Slackware
18%
Debian
18%
Red Hat/Fedora Core
18%
Knoppix
9%
Other
5%

Total votes: 22

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

hmm

I'm using a wired connection, and it just doesnt work.

The first time I ran linux, it worked fine.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

"My wired Internet doesn't work."
"Ok, there are about a thousand things you'll have to check then..."

Common thing online...

WLAN is among the top freaks related to computers. The only way to get any kind of viable security over wlan is to utilize vpn and ipsec with custom encryption. Naturally, Windows does not support all that at once :D
Isn't WPA or even WEP enough? Probably for most people, but notice the lack of the word "all" (I mean the unfortunate ones).
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

dysfunction wrote:If by "you know what you're doing," you mean that you buy a well-supported card, then yes. Otherwise, it could be a hassle, since ndiswrapper, while wonderful, is far from perfect.
No, I mean you know what you're doing. I've never had a problem with ndiswrapper. I'm willing to bet all these "problems" are had with binary distributions where one person's binary may not work quite right for everyone. Gentoo doesn't have this problem because everything is built locally! If it builds, it should work right the first time.
ImageImage
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Hmm, you're probably right, it'd be interesting to run some experiments on my friend's Gentoo box.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

coelurus wrote:"My wired Internet doesn't work."
"Ok, there are about a thousand things you'll have to check then..."

Common thing online...
thanks for the fun-making. I'm rather sorry. I'm very new to linux, so I'm rather clueless. Sorry.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

No point in being sorry, but you probably know something more than just "the cable's in and it doesn't work." :) Sure there's _nothing_ else you could tell us about your internet connection? If not, I'd try lspci, ifconfig, resolv and some more and see where things break, look through the gentoo installation manual, almost all info apply to most distros.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I tried knoppix live cd thing, I couldn't really tell what was so different as it was running off a cd. I did like the menus and graphical apperances, but I wasn't use to using it so I went back with windoz...
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

coelurus wrote:No point in being sorry, but you probably know something more than just "the cable's in and it doesn't work." :) Sure there's _nothing_ else you could tell us about your internet connection? If not, I'd try lspci, ifconfig, resolv and some more and see where things break, look through the gentoo installation manual, almost all info apply to most distros.
thanks. I'll try using that.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Has anyone else here tried FreeBSD? Gentoo is based off it, but freeBSD is faster, more secure and more stable.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

BSD != Linux. Gentoo Linux isn't based on something != Linux. However, Portage derives from the BSD Ports system.
ImageImage