Debate thread (revived)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

lecks wrote:
Rezek wrote:Hardly, I'm holding a Zen right now. And lecks, if you actually bothered to do some research, you'd find the batteries very much so replacable on iPods. I've even opened up my iPod to snap back in a chip.
i was switching back and forth between the zen micro in my head and didnt notice i was supposed to be talking about the zen.
What, you didn't notice you were comparing the zen's interface to the zen's interface? Hardly as in 'oo and it has just about the same user interface as ipod' - hardly.
and abnout the replacable battery, i meant you can go to a store and buy a battery and put it in there, not sending it to the shop/company to get it replaced.
And lecks, if you actually bothered to do some research, you'd find the batteries very much so replacable on iPods. That's all I can say.

[quotesorry about that "smaller than altoids can"... yea i was thinking of the zen micro when i said that.[/quote]

No problem, I missed that. Actually one of my best friends got a Zen Micro (6gb) for XMas and he's very satisfied with it.

What is your vendetta against iPods?

@Aww: Excellent link! I got a case for my iPhoto for xmas but my iPod is scratched. I always think 'I wish it'd look like new again!'. Thanks alot :)

On the mp3 cd players subject: Agreed completely.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:The only competition that the ipod w/ video has, is the creative zen vision:M, which is kind of an ipod ripoff
Nothing the iPod has done, apart from advertising, has been revolutionary. Archos/Creative have had portable video players out for years before Apple did, the shuffle boasted an exciting "new" feature that every CD player and most DAPs had had for decades.

Apple have taken some fairly mediocre hardware, made it white, marked up the price substantially and put out a massive amount of advertising. That's it.

I bought my DAP because it did what I wanted it to do; it plays my music with incredible sound quality. When people start listing "lack of games" as a con on a DAP, I get worried.

EDIT: For scratches, rub with a silver polish cloth. I dropped my player, and used this technique to remove the scratches on the display.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

benryves wrote:EDIT: For scratches, rub with a silver polish cloth. I dropped my player, and used this technique to remove the scratches on the display.
D'you think that would help with a calculator?
just try to be nice to people.
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

... just to possibly get things rolling again...

Here's a good question: Should abortion be legal; YES-or-NO?

I say NO!

(here's a time for the evolutionists to show their "morals").
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

You would let a 13 year old girl have a baby? What about a rape victim? That baby would destroy her mind, every second that baby is there is a reminder of the pain she experienced. You are a heartless bastard.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

threefingeredguy wrote:You would let a 13 year old girl have a baby? What about a rape victim? That baby would destroy her mind, every second that baby is there is a reminder of the pain she experienced. You are a heartless bastard.
Agreed!
Homestar wrote:I say NO!

(here's a time for the evolutionists to show their "morals").
Where are your morals..? :?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Abortion should be legal for rape victims and when the mother's life is at risk.
Underage pregnancy is kind of a hard issue to deal with. The other stuff should definitely be illegal though.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'm really sick and TIRED of both sides of the abortion debate. Both are completely convinced they have the moral highground and, well... they don't.

Let's say we outlaw abortion. But what about rape victims? Young mothers? Poor mothers? What about overpopulation, do we really need more unwanted children?

But let's say abortion is legal everywhere. What about the life of the soon-to-be child?

It seems that most of the debaters miss a key point. They are too busy debating when a fetus is a human to realize that this is irrelevant. Whether a fetus is human at three weeks or at nine, it WILL be human, unless someone intervenes. Now, the same argument is used against masturbation by some extreme fundamentalists; but this is a fallacy. Only an extremely tiny (far less than 1%) fraction of all sperm will become a child. None of them will, unless you act. However, over 99% of all fetuses, once conceived, will become human, unless an action is taken.

So while I oppose abortion on principle, I also oppose the idea of children growing up unwanted or underpriveleged. Yes, most of them will have hard lives; yet some can overcome the obstacles of their birth to become great. Is it better to take away the potential for pain, while also taking away the potential for greatness? These are incredibly tough questions, and no matter how much either side thinks they are right, neither has the answers.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:Abortion should be legal for rape victims and when the mother's life is at risk.
Underage pregnancy is kind of a hard issue to deal with. The other stuff should definitely be illegal though.
I totally agree with you, as my sister was once raped and if she couldn't get the morning after pill she would've needed an abortion. If she was to keep the child then every time she looked at it she would be heart broken inside, but it is a moral issue because what may not be a child yet will soon be (to me it would be considered murder).
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

If they don't think they can handle having a baby, then that is their choice. Having a baby drastically changes someone's life. If they aren't ready for the change, then they shouldn't have to. They are morons for getting themselves in the situation in the first place, but they shouldn't be forced to ruin their lives.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

#1 Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone is raped, doesn't suddenly give them the power to commit murder.
I understand rape is a terrible thing, as-well-as a big inconvienience, but so are natural disasters, poverty, terrorism, and disease; however these inconviences don't give their host the right to kill another person inorder to relieve their pain/suffering.

#2 Over 99% of all abortions are from people who weren't raped (world wide). Abortion has become a convience which many people use for mere pleasure; 47% comming from women who have already had a previous abortion (no accident either).

#3 Selective abortion also created many problems in a country, like Vietnam, or China for example, there are some cities/towns that have 7-5:1 Men-women ratios. Wars have been started over lesser things.

Here's a good question. What are the differences between killing a baby, or killing another person? There are only 4 differences between someone inside the mother's womb, and someone outside.
1) Size
2) Level of maturity
3) Environment
4) Dependancy

Talk to ya tommorrow Image

EDIT: @ kalan_vod: Wow, I feel for your sister.
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Homestar wrote:EDIT: @ kalan_vod: Wow, I feel for your sister.
Thanks.

Well I believe the government doesn't consider it murder if they are under 3 months as the brain isn't developed or something.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

Homestar wrote:#1 Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone is raped, doesn't suddenly give them the power to commit murder.
I understand rape is a terrible thing, as-well-as a big inconvienience, but so are natural disasters, poverty, terrorism, and disease; however these inconviences don't give their host the right to kill another person inorder to relieve their pain/suffering.

#2 Over 99% of all abortions are from people who weren't raped (world wide). Abortion has become a convience which many people use for mere pleasure; 47% comming from women who have already had a previous abortion (no accident either).

#3 Selective abortion also created many problems in a country, like Vietnam, or China for example, there are some cities/towns that have 7-5:1 Men-women ratios. Wars have been started over lesser things.

Here's a good question. What are the differences between killing a baby, or killing another person? There are only 4 differences between someone inside the mother's womb, and someone outside.
1) Size
2) Level of maturity
3) Environment
4) Dependancy

Talk to ya tommorrow Image

EDIT: @ kalan_vod: Wow, I feel for your sister.
homestar, i agree 100%.
id also like to add that in this country, every man is equal, maturity, size, or age do not affect the natural rights given to a person. as homestar said, 2 wrongs dont make a right. and i know rape wasn't the woman's idea but there could be another way, like giving your child up for adoption, it still saves the child's life.

I'd also like to add that mothers have died having abortions because of the complexity of the surgery. the risks and religious morals arent worth taking.

maybe im not being open to other's ideas because im religius, but i try to listen to your opinions and your views. don't get me wrong, im not mad at any woman who goes and has an abortion, but abortion to me, is murder, depriving american citizens of their natural rights, that all men are created equal, and abortion is an unnecessary risk.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

But if abortion became illegal that wouldn't stop people from doing the act of abortion. They may have those doctors who perform the procedure do it illegally or the person might do it there self (maybe with a hanger or object like it).
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

It's easy to see that abortion poses an unsolvable problem. There's a clash of interests here: the basic rights of the foetus versus those of the mother. This is definitely not a simple question, and saying yes or no all the time without considering the circumstances is nothing but ignorance. Just as an example, take those newborns that end up in the dustbin or the cesspit. Abortion is certainly the less bad alternative in this case.

Of course, everything would be a lot easier if people used proper contraception. Oh well.
Homestar wrote:Abortion has become a convience which many people use for mere pleasure.
What's the pleasure in it?