how to make a website

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

I rate myself as:

genius
33%
smart
39%
average
6%
dull
11%
IQ in negitive
11%

Total votes: 18

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

MySQL is not a language, but a DBMS (Database Management System), which useses, SQL, which is a query language :)

You also forgot JSP (Java Servlet Pages), which is used often also... by Nintendo for example. It's Java-based, and it's quite nice :)
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Rezek wrote:PHP > ALL { Serverside scripts }
Except for the syntax conventions in the default package, default security, and lacking support for unicode characters which are technical disadvantages PHP has compaired to alternatives. It one of the easyest and least demanding languages and may sometimes be the best choice for a particular webbased application, but it's far from superior over all it's alternatives.
Waaayyy down the line you'll want to learn PHP
Or at the same time. It doesn't replace XHTML so you'll still be using and learning that when you're webscripting with PHP. Once you know what XHTML is there's no need to stick with static webpages.
XHTML :: Extensible Hyper Text Markup Language
This is like HTML, but really strict. For example, all tags (tags are like bbcode, but use < > instead of [ ]... sort of) must be in lowercase, and other considerations.
Including extensibility, defining new tags. It's basically the XML conventions applied to HTML.
'No Style'. Most high-end sites will look pretty funky, for example google. Depending on which type of XHTML they use, the site will look better or worse (not fancy, but in terms of readablity)
In terms of readability a well-designed site should still be usefriendly without it's stylesheet though.
PHP :: Hypertext Preprocessor
Where'd the beginning P come from? Who knows.
PHP was originally a package of Perl functions for website scripters, called "Personal Home Page Tools". The P in PHP now stands for PHP.
Basically, when you have php pages in a server (pages that end with *.php and not *.html)
And contain PHP code embedded in <?php ?> tags.
the server interrupts the pages as code.
"interprets"
MySQL :: My Structured Query Language
Mouthful, huh? MySQL is a database language, basically you use it to interact with databases.
It's a DataBase Management System based on the SQL querying language (it has some MySQL specific syntax and functions). SQL is the "database language" while MySQL is the software that manages (both hosts and interacts) a database using (it's own dialect of) said language.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

To risk posting another huge one, I'm not going to quote you on everything, but I'll try to address most of your points.

Ok, it's a matter of opinion whether or not you like PHP. For myself, I found it to be incredibly friendly even if some syntax is insane (foreach loops, for example).

As for when to learn PHP, I'd stick to my previous reccomendation to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of HTML first. All the PHP in the world can't make a website be intuitave and userfriendly, or looknice. (It sure can help though :P)

On the XHTML note, agreed completely. However, this was mostly a quick guide to some of the terms thecheat said he didn't understand. From his posts, it appeared that he really didn't know the first thing about it, and people were going from reccomending html tutorials to comparing php and asp ;). If I mentioned XML, I'd probably have to explain that too.

Next up, I agree again. If you use XHTML Strict, then all of your websites will look readable without any styles. Graceful Degredation is one of CSS's great strengths, even if it doesn't always work in practice.

On the PHP -> Personal Home Page Tools, I didn't know that, but a book rented from the library told me it was Hypertext Preprocessor.

Furthermore, you are correct again, as to PHP code being embedded. If you don't include any <? ?> tags, the entire document will just be handed back to the browser as html. (simplification)

The last was a typo obviously, thanks for catching it.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

You're forgetting my personal favourite (that is; untill I discovered PHP ;)): Perl :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. And yes, on the PHP website it says that it is a recursive acronym :).
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Rezek wrote:On the PHP -> Personal Home Page Tools, I didn't know that, but a book rented from the library told me it was Hypertext Preprocessor.
The HP does stand for Hypertext Preprocessor, so the full name is: PHP Hypertext Preprocessor. :)
Timendus wrote:You're forgetting my personal favourite (that is; untill I discovered PHP ;) ): Perl :)
Other way around for me, but I'm most proficient with PHP. :)
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

I like perl too. It has some similarities to C.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

lloydkirk1989 wrote:I like perl too. It has some similarities to C.
Only on the surface. There's nothing common between them essentially.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Rezek wrote:Ok, it's a matter of opinion whether or not you like PHP. For myself, I found it to be incredibly friendly even if some syntax is insane (foreach loops, for example).
How are they insane?

Code: Select all

foreach ($array as $key=>$value) {
# ...
}
versus something like:

Code: Select all

foreach (type variable in collection) {
// ...
}