Debate thread (revived)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

features,man features!!

that costs that much and is that fat beauce

1. it has a replacable battery

2. it may be a little bit fatter, but its smaller than an altoids can

3. it has an fm radio

4. longer battery life

ipod photo has none of these things. and the ipod video's advantage is only video. so yea.. this is better than an ipod photo, and an ipod video if you dont care about video.

also i have found a creative zen touch which has 20 hour battery life. ipods at most only have 12.

oo and it has just about the same user interface as ipod.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Hardly, I'm holding a Zen right now. And lecks, if you actually bothered to do some research, you'd find the batteries very much so replacable on iPods. I've even opened up my iPod to snap back in a chip.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

My mp3 player, though limited in memory (512mb upgradable to 4gb and maybe more in feature, never listen to more than 4-5 albums at the same time anyway ;) ), has various telecommunication features (calls, sms, mms, bluetooth, ir, etc) as well as a radio, organiser (notebook, adressbook, agenda, alarms, timers, etc), java (2me) runtime environment, and a 2 megapixel digital camera. Beat that iPod. 8)

Plus, it doesn't have an "innovative" input device that causes RSI witin minutes.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

How about an 80gb player that plays video at near-dvd quality and records with Tivo-like functionality at vcd quality? Not to mention it has built-in wifi and comes with Opera preloaded? The Archos PMA 480. Unfortunately it's $800. But if you want a small player with an intuitive UI, try the Archos Gmini XS200- 20gb, smaller than a 20gb iPod, and a lot cheaper.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

Rezek wrote:Hardly, I'm holding a Zen right now. And lecks, if you actually bothered to do some research, you'd find the batteries very much so replacable on iPods. I've even opened up my iPod to snap back in a chip.
i was switching back and forth between the zen micro in my head and didnt notice i was supposed to be talking about the zen.

and abnout the replacable battery, i meant you can go to a store and buy a battery and put it in there, not sending it to the shop/company to get it replaced.

sorry about that "smaller than altoids can"... yea i was thinking of the zen micro when i said that.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

what about the "my ipod scratches like 20,000 times a day" and the "my ipod's battery stopped working and now i gotta pay $80 to get it fixed and wait 6 months" problem?
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Umm..the new ones come with a case. Regarding the battery problem, if its under warranty you can just ask them to send you a new one. Just to make sure they do, you might want to fry the circuits or something along those lines.
The apple techs are lazy, they don't want to spend hours repairing one single ipod. Time is money...Bear in mind, its probably only costing apple $10 to make one. :)
Last edited by lloydkirk1989 on Sat 07 Jan, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

As someone said before, that's fat people who sit down and think they can have it in the pockets of their too-tight jeans.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

scratching seems easily fixed anyway:

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/190/94/
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

...I still use a cd player...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

My laptop plays all my mp3s and has a really nice and intuitive GUI, 30GB of storage and network support (streaming!) ;)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
threefingeredguy
Calc King

necro wrote:...I still use a cd player...
Me too.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

threefingeredguy wrote:
necro wrote:...I still use a cd player...
Me too.
I still use a cd rom....
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

For those with large music libraries who can't afford an HD music player, you might want to check out an mp3 cd player. They're pretty cheap now. I had one for a few years and was pretty satisfied; I could hold my whole music collection on about 5 cds.
Last edited by dysfunction on Tue 10 Jan, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Yeah, my car has that. I can fit 100 to 150 songs on a single cd and play them all.