A way to test for xlib instalation? What about a shell?

Moderator: tr1p1ea

Would it be neat to see xlib as a shell?

Yes
39%
No
13%
It'd be neat to see it combined with fast rpl or something similare
13%
I am not sure, how much work would it add to code my xlib games?
16%
I like burning
19%

Total votes: 31

necro
Calc King

A way to test for xlib instalation? What about a shell?

Post by necro »

Code: Select all

:1
:real(0
:If not(Ans
:Then
:ClrHome
:Disp "PLEASE INSTAL XLIB BEFORE TRYING TO RUN THIS GAME
:Pause
:End
:If not(Ans
:Stop
This will atoumaticaly exit if anyone does not have xlib, as real(0 will change asn if it is not intercepted by the parser. :twisted:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
well, since tr1p1ea has no plans to make xlib a full on shell, what if some one made a basic shell to run xlib games and make it so that if your ram ressets, all you do is ungroup the shell again and your set?

How? Well, one program to recal a string listing every program made and use it to list which programs are available (with out cluttering up the menu with sub programs) in a menu and give you options to delete them, as well as a asm program to update the list that is initialised by a simple installer run outside of the shell. To install a game, you would unarchive the installer, and running it would have it test wether xlib is installed or not install, if not it exits and informs the owner they need xlib. Other wise, it loads that string and it adds it self to the list, stores it back to string, and uses the shells asm program to update the list program.
Sooo...*denotes archived

In the Shell: Initialiser,Shell Menu*,Shell list program*,Shell updater (asm)*

In the Game: Instaler,Main game*,all sub programs*[/code]
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I think what we have we should be grateful for what we have. Tr1p. said he is getting tired of coding xlib and we don't need him to give up on the project. Why did you need to create a new topic for this? To me it looks like you just want the feature of checking if xlib was installed, which would be nice. Also real(0 is already in use :P .
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

No, that code already works for checking if xLIB is installed, it does not require any changes to xLIB.
just try to be nice to people.
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

DarkerLine wrote:No, that code already works for checking if xLIB is installed, it does not require any changes to xLIB.
Yeah I didn't know that.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

yes, and I was talking about someone not tr1p1ea making a shell...if you used basic builder it could be a self contained app as well (and contain extra features)
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

This is a really good idea. The main problem with normal people playing BASIC programs is the understanding required to play them. Everyone at my school like MIRAGE because you can just open it and click a game. No knowledge required. If you try to play a Basic game, however, with 50 trillion sub programs that you have to archive to play then unarchive, then people are like "why don't i just go play Mario on MIRAGE? It's so much faster, easier, and in the end, funner." I think that this would help the poplularity of BASIC programs.
cheese=yum
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

glad to hear people liking the idea...
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Make sure it supports all the proper archiving/unarchiving.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

katmaster wrote:This is a really good idea. The main problem with normal people playing BASIC programs is the understanding required to play them. Everyone at my school like MIRAGE because you can just open it and click a game. No knowledge required. If you try to play a Basic game, however, with 50 trillion sub programs that you have to archive to play then unarchive, then people are like "why don't i just go play Mario on MIRAGE? It's so much faster, easier, and in the end, funner." I think that this would help the poplularity of BASIC programs.
Solution: make basic games that don't require 50 trillion sub programs. :D
just try to be nice to people.

Post by necro »

15 basic games with say an average of four subs...75 programs (not including asm files) Hmm...that doesn't make sense to me. 15 basic games, exactly 15 programs to sort through, all programs worry free from ram ressets (everything in the flash and written to temp as needed), possibly a bevey of features built into the shell? Makes sense to me.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Would it be possible to make a shell/OS app that would automatically unarchive sub programs asked for by a basic program? Or search through the code and unarchive all the subprograms it mentions? :? It would make it a lot easier to play some of the advanced Basic programs.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

This is a great idea for a basic program app. such as having the programer place a char. of something in the start of the main program (instead of : in mirage one could put ! or so) and xlib would run the program and install the hooks and once the program exits it would uninstall the hooks.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

the idea was to restrict all programers to using the temp programs for all program purposes...all other files (sub programs) including the main program would be in archive. If you want to open a map, copy it to a temp, run it, delete it, keep going. The shell being a basic app would be "imune" to calc crashes, all programs would be in archive, and possibly all data (lists and strings) could also be stored in a save program in archive.

So...it would be a bit more work to make, but signifigantly less risky to run (in temrs of you loosing all your games).
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Also we could make it where it creates a appvar for savegames!
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

indeed, that would be quite handy