Progress Thread - New demo - Cobra Mk III (18-May-08)

A full (6DOF) 3D engine for TI-83 based calculators.

Moderator: qarnos

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Will you be able to rotate the screen around the 3D model?
Image Image Image
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Nice seeing something stirring up some interest :)

My main concern with 3D on the calc so far has been world management and representation; do you plan on writing a 3D game with static environments that fill up the entire viewport?
BSP trees (quake-style) split geometry a lot so the number of draw calls will grow pretty fast (meaning loads more initialization code) and BSPs only order convex groups of polygons in half spaces. With software rendering, overdraw should be extremely low. I would like to hear your ideas about your simplified version.
The most useable approach for worlds with software rendering afaik is based on portals and sectors, like Descent, which minimizes the amount of overdraw to zero. Portals are widely used even with current computer gfx accelerators, since shader programs are becoming rather intricate and portals reduce the number of visible fragments just like in the old days (portals are crap though, there are better solutions for computers but they are _not_ useable on calcs :P ).

Some more general info would be nice.
And good work!
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Hey, that's pretty nice! :D On the 68k calcs, there are many 3D games that run at great speeds, but they only use wireframe models so far. (at least, everything I've seen anyways) This is very uber for a z80 calc. 8)
bananas... o.o
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ive seen some grayscale filled polygon renderers on 68k calcs, but they are at an advantage. This project is extremely impressive, especially for z80 :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

I wonder though if it can handle more geometry or a true 3D environment, not like Gemini but y'know like Quake.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

You mean, a non-ray-casted first person shooter? :) Yeah, that would be awesome. I know for sure there is nothing like that for the 68k calcs yet! The only games like this so far are like, space shooters and stuff.
bananas... o.o
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

What is ray cast? Is that an emulation of 3D using the center of the screen as the horizon line. (whatever that perspective point was called)
Image Image Image
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yes. One thing I have to say is that a true 3d fps is not feasible on calc, not even on an SE, not even on an 89TE. The simple reason why, is the number of accessible buttons. With a good (modern) game controller, you have a stick and a directional pad, or two sticks, as well as buttons. On the calc, we can only use our thumbs for pressing buttons, and we don't really want to press anything except in the top 3 or 4 rows during an action game. So if you have buttons for movement (the calc's "d-pad") and buttons for actions, like firing or jumping, what buttons while you use for looking?
Of course there are dozens of other applications to which a true 3d engine could be put, such as a 3d air or space shooter, without the need for movement controls.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Well, we could do it like the n64 fpses. up + down arrow = forwards + backwards, left + right = turning, diamond + apps = strafing, shift + alpha = look up/down (not needed much) and stuff like 2nd and the F-keys for things like firing and opening doors. I think it's possible. ;)
bananas... o.o
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

why not turn the 2nd,Alpha, Quit, section of the keyboard it's own keypad? quit could be move forward, alpha could be strafe left, stat is right, and apps is left. The only problem is that they probably aren't in the same groups, slowing the checking process.

Is anybody going to tell me what ray cast is?
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

This should help .
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

The speed at which it applies polygon filling looks impressive. I am looking forward to see more extensive screenfilling performed by your engine qarnos.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

A 3D FPS on calc would be playable with a certain amount of auto-aim :).

It might be possible on an SE but no way on an ordinary 83+.

I still say stick to flying sims.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

qarnos wrote:Although I didn't end up using your triangle code...
That doesn't surprise me ;)
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

tr1p1ea wrote: I still say stick to flying sims.
Me wants Space Dementia z80... *drools*

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"