[SHATTERED OASIS] Feature Suggestions

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

[SHATTERED OASIS] Feature Suggestions

Post by BetaSword »

In case people didn't notice, SO is back on.

Now, while I await xLIB's glory, I have time to think of various things I would like to do with SO, and their likelyhood of happening. Feel free to add in suggestions, too. It can't hurt at all.

Definite:
-Rewriting the room building code. This'll be necessary to take advantage of xLIB's tile maps, and'll also greatly increase loading speed.
-Character sprites redone. More like, removing their left-facing sprites, and just using the sprite flip option with xLIB. More room for more sprites is added.
-Rewriting text-box code. xLIB has some nifty shape drawing commands that'll definitely come in handy here.

Possible:
-Side scrolling sections. I'm no stranger to making BASIC side scrolling engines. Few years back, wrote one completely based on the normal drawing commands, no OmniCalc or any sort of ASM help. I also wrote one that took advantage of OmniCalc to look better. A side scroller here would use the same basic room building and sprite drawing routines, but also have the physics required for jumping and such. It'd be a bit more difficult, but possible.
-Battle engine. Yeah, the bane of my programming, the battles. This is always where I get stuck, and what usually causes me to give up. SO has been through at least 4 different battle systems, but I was never able to work them out right. I may end up asking for help on this one, or just not using a battle engine at all.

Nigh-impossible/improbable:
-Epic 3D ASM final battle hUrtling through space. Yup, my dream final battle would be realtime, kinda like Omega Boost for PS1, and somehow in 3D. Hence why it's the DREAM final battle. Though if a battle engine is implemented, I would like the final battle to be something completely different than everything else.

Yeah, that's all. Feel free to make suggestions, like I said.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

With the xLIB tilemapping function you could just make it one big map and tile-scroll through it. No need to change rooms and no loading times.

Ill send you the current testing version of xLIB, check your email :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

tr1p1ea wrote:With the xLIB tilemapping function you could just make it one big map and tile-scroll through it. No need to change rooms and no loading times.

Ill send you the current testing version of xLIB, check your email :).
Yeah but does this increase program size of the matrix? Btw you may need 2 huge matrics as you have a ram size limit, wait does xlib work with archived matrics?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

It doesnt work with archived matrices because it would be way too slow imo.
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

i'll be glad to help out with the battle system, i myself attempetd a card based game, so i have a few ideas :P
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

The only problem with using very large matrices is the amount of space they take up... I think I've tried it before, and it was just plain HUGE. I mean, if the 83+SE had more RAM, then it would possibly work... Although I guess I could always just make each matrix hold maybe 4 or so rooms, and have it scroll through that. Although I also thought of a rather easy way to actually have it scroll rooms when you reach the edge. Since the room is already drawn on the screen, the matrix that made it can be replaced with the matrix for the new room, and I can scroll the screen in the proper direction 8 pixels at a time, and draw in the new row or column of sprites from the new matrix, until the new room takes up the whole screen.
dragon__lance wrote:i'll be glad to help out with the battle system, i myself attempetd a card based game, so i have a few ideas :P
I already have in mind who I'd like to ask were I to do that, but if they'd rather not, I'll see if you're open, Mkay?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

You can store the matrices in Map programs (MAP0, MAP1) and have [[0,0,0,0][0,0,0,0]]->[A] in the program and use xLIB to run the program straight from the archive. Of course your maps will be bigger. This way you can put a bunch of maps in each program and save lots of ram.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Ok, I spent the weekend converting Res into using 4x4 maps (4x8x12) thats 32x48. The end result was: a little faster, less code size for maps (like which map to goto and where the char should be placed), but the size of the matix was really big (13xxx) so that wouldn't give me much to have for the code except if I just run them archived. So the end result was faster but bigger for ram used. I even tried useing just 24x36 (3x3) maps but thats around 7xxx for size. I don't know how you guys prefer your game speed>size.
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

For me, having just one room in a matrix seems to work fine, and yeah, the fact that xLIB can run archived programs means the room program can be archived. The way I have it, each room is numbered, and when you get to the edge of the screen, it changes the room variable in a way that depends on which way you're leaving (since the current map is a 3x3 room square, leaving right would increase the variable by 1, leaving down would increase it by 3, etc.). Then it just runs the ROOMS program, and it goes through the list, and stores whichever room corresponds to the variable in a matrix. Easy enough.

I may experiment with different sized matrices to see how they are size wise, but I'll probably just stick with this, for the simple reason of not wanting to have to try and make some sort of scrolling routine for movement.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well the method you have is probably the best for basic games. And why fix something that isnt broken? :).
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

why not learn a bit of asm for that final battle? I am sure you could get loads of help, I have.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Or you can necropost by about a year.