bosses

Moderator: tr1p1ea

MoogleSoft

Post by MoogleSoft »

looking at the screenshots, it seems that even if there were only one or two bosses it'd still be a great game. for example, halo 1 had no bosses, and it was a critically acclaimed game, regardless of the fact if there were any bosses or not. i think joe is going to blow us all away when this fantastic game is released.

yes yes, i know, metroid always had good bosses, but we are looking at a calculator here, not a damn gba. and he's a 1 man squad (well with the sprite guy, he's not, but he's doing all the programming basically), so we just all have to chill out and let him do his thing.

hey, just think, he might just surprise us with more bosses than we may think!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I believe the issue with more bosses was the amount of unique tiles you had to include for them. Tiles that were only used once wasted valuable space.

I don't program asm yet, so I don't know if this is feasible, but I had an idea. How about having the game use external levels, each level with a boss. Could you include the unique tiles for the boss in the external level file, then have the game use them when the external level wants to display its boss?

That way, the game would just have to contain the commonly used tiles, and you could have unique bosses(and maybe even other unique tiles/monsters) in each level without making the main game file too big.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

That's what I wanted to do in my first BASIC game, but back then I didn't know how to optimize so it caused crashes.

I'm not sure if you can call external ASM files that store the tiles for the Bosses. My first reaction would be to store the sprite information into appVar but I'm not sure about that.

Can anybody correct me on this?

edit: btw, what who's Ridley? and how is he important to the storyline? and who is this Adam guy? :D :D :D
Image Image Image
Alphawolf

also

Post by Alphawolf »

yeah plus he's got to keep the programming short because most calculators can on play games up to like 23-24 k of ram soo....
kalan_vod
Calc King

Re: also

Post by kalan_vod »

Alphawolf wrote:yeah plus he's got to keep the programming short because most calculators can on play games up to like 23-24 k of ram soo....
Not if he made it into an app.
Alphawolf

yes

Post by Alphawolf »

Oh yeah good point I hadn't thought of that oh wow? Hmmmm yeah if he made it into an app man that game could be fricking awsome. That just makes me want the game even more
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

He intends this to run on regular 83 as well as 83+ last I heard, so external levels aren't feasible.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

No external levels? :cry: Maybe an 83+ and higher special feature?

This could become the next mario, and external levels could help.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Why wouldn't external levels be feasible? Where you thinking archived levels?

Any space a level takes up externally is almost exactly the same as the space it takes up internally.
Alphawolf

crap

Post by Alphawolf »

dreams of metroid being made into an app

*Bam* shot down!! NOOOOOO! :x
Oh well maybe after he finishes it he will make it an app for some of us who own ti83+,84+, or what i have a ti84+ silver!