Destiny Realm

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

leofox
Calc Master

Destiny Realm

Post by leofox »

anyone who has visited UTI might already know about this, but for the ones that don't: Destiny Realm is an ASM RPG under development by... me :D
Currently there's nothing more than a walking engine, but that'll be finished soon so that i can work on the fighting engine, the items, the shops and the story.
About the story... i can't say much about it, 'cause there isn't much now. I have someone else working on it, and i don't know what he has yet, if he has something...
About the items: I want to have about 100 items in the game, varying from swords to books to potions, but i don't know if i can come up with that much items. Ah well, i can always steal some from Morrowind and pokémon.
About the NPC's: the current engine support a lot of NPCs, 256 - the number of tiles, so that's a possible 100-150 NPC's in the game (if i can make up that much text..)
About the fighting engine: the layout is based on pokemon, but i only have a concept picture now.
About the walking engine: it uses 8x8 tiles, and smooth scrolling (currently only vertical). I can set an event to every tile in the game, NPC's are just tiles with a talking event.

some pictures:
walking engine:

enemies:
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Wow, nice RPG under construction you got there. If I can give you some advice:
- really thoroughly plan out your battle engine (what should the stats of your character be)
- don't overreact with the items, a moderate set of items should be fine
- try not to use too much 2 byte variables for character stats
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

Why ? In my (never-released) RPG I have plenty of them, and the XP is on 3 bytes :)
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Kozak wrote:Wow, nice RPG under construction you got there. If I can give you some advice:
- really thoroughly plan out your battle engine (what should the stats of your character be)
yeah, i'm doing that now, i'm planning the system and stuff.
- don't overreact with the items, a moderate set of items should be fine
100 items isn't really that much, if i have like 20 books, 10 armors, 20 weapons, 20 potions, 20 spells and 10 misc crap i already have 100 items
what's the problem with that?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, that is some nice work, i like thos gfx :).

How long do you think this will take you?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

i don't know, i have never done this before. I think 6 months, but it can easily be way more or way less
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Well I have two reasons for saying don't use 2 byte stats:
- if the player has 6000 attack points at a moment he will not care for grading up anymore. if stuff comes in bulk it becomes less precious and less entertaining to get something
- programming wise: using 2 byte stats means a difference programming wise, isntead of an easy ld a,(hl) you have to do ld e(hl) inc hl ld d,(hl). Well atleast in my case. And this becomes icnreaslingly time consuming and space eating when using multiple characters programming wise. It's just something I want to decourage, from experience.

Sorry for the bad grammar and vocabular.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

i'm not using multiple characters, and i don't want to have 6000 attack points. But i think that it will be possible to get more than 255 points in something, so i want to make sure the player doesn;t get 0 points again when he levels up after getting 255 points. And a simple LD (data),HL works too.
Shawshank87

Post by Shawshank87 »

I think I agree with Kozak. Its much easier to use 1 byte. The only time you would need 2 bytes is maybe for the experience points, so you can get a wider variety of exp. from different enemies. There is no need to have a level 10000 character when a level 100 character can be just powerful. Its just ineffecient and, as Kozak stated, less precious.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

leo any updates? or is this dead? hope not :cry: