Status

Pure BASIC fun!

Moderator: DarkAuron

Spooner

Post by Spooner »

Someone realeased a similar game to tankies to ticalc.org. Its in Basic and can have 2 AI's

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 37132.html
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

yeah I saw an overload of tankies/scortched earth and DDR games lately at ticalc.org
ImageImageImageImage
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

sigh...

Post by crzyrbl »

is tankies still alive?....
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Spooner

Post by Spooner »

Wonders the same as above?
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Tankies probably will not continue to be worked on until I'm going back to school (when I have nothing to do during classes), and I start school again on August 15th.
yeah I saw an overload of tankies/scortched earth and DDR games lately at ticalc.org
Scorched earth is commonly known, and a lot of people have a want to make it. Tankies is a unique build off of that with lots of options, which you don't really see yet but.. eventually you will. As for DDR, do *ANY* of them have smooth arrow movement and/or accurate detection? Most of them are in BASIC anyways.

Edit: To add to it, the above link to the missle command game... is quite horrible. It flickers constantly everytime something happens because it saves and loads the screen into pic files and switches from half mode (so it can display text at the bottom half) to full graph mode a lot, but runs that too fast to tell what message it displays. Also the AI isn't even AI, just random values that it throws in, doesn't have them learn or do accurate calculations. And then theres the loading screen. Ha. It runs a number from 0 to 100 on the homescreen, with the rest of the screen filled with garbage characters. No explanation why it has this. Doesn't have any instructions on how to play, or any strategies or explanations for anything, AND THEN it claims it has sound, as well as cheats, and if you mail him 25 cents, he'll email you the passwords. How pathetic. Nor does it spur any options or a menu to use. So thus, it can't even be compared to Tankies. :evil:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

so hows it goin?
cheese=yum
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I just started school this week. I'm really pooped, I have lots of homework, and my best friend just revealed to me how screwed up his life has been, so I'm going to do everything in my power to help him; basically I have no free time now, or what little I do I'm too tired to do anything.

Edit: And by screwed up I don't mean drugs or drinking problems, I mean social issues and his grades, as well as what he thinks of what his future will be like. It scares me to think that he's a complete idiot when I know perfectly well he is not.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

A butterfly isnt born beautiful. It needs the most precious gift this universe has to offer ... time. We are prepared to give tankies the time it needs so that it may shine in all its glory.

I hope that your friend can sort out his life. I too have been down a similar path, and it is not fun. There is, however, light at the end of the tunnel. The end of the world does not coincide with flunking out of your studies, although it may seem that way at the time ... you never know, it just might work out for the best :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Tankies has continued production. I fixed a minor bug the other night and I'm doing some work on the new menu system right now. Yay.

Edit: ..which now has been done, and you may now see the screenshot in the screenshots topic. :D
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Yays! Tankies! :D This will definitely be a cool game. 8)
bananas... o.o
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I'm dedicating this nighttime to Tankies, and I'll be working on it until sunrise. Log of work shown below:

2:22am - I just finished converting the landscape selection screen to the graph screen; tankies no longer uses the homescreen at all! I also modified the second pre-equated landscape to make it more jagged and landscape-ish. Next I'm going to implement wind, which shouldn't be too hard.

3:28am - Now the pre-equated landscapes are usable in the tankies engine, and can be played on. Woot. (Sorry if you thought they already were.. heh (I'm getting distracted a lot too, that's why it took me over an hour to do just that. And yes, I lied. I havn't done the wind implementation yet..))

4:12am - Added wind modifier option to the option menu. I mathematically added it to the existing code instead of adding extra conditionals to keep the speed and code structure good. But uh.. the logical math I did scares me. :o

4:26am - Wind is finally in the gameplay, and it works wonderfully I might say. Next is tank selection, CPU/Human selection, and the ability to finally battle another tank. This is what I've been holding back for so long, and I'm finally going to do it. 8)
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Sounds awesome! I didn't know you could select different tanks. I thought they were all going to be the same. :o
bananas... o.o
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

staying up all night programing :shock: i couldnt do it. sounds great though. YAY TANKIES!!!! :D
cheese=yum
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Thats awesome that you getting lots of stuff done DarkAuron! :) ... and there is nothing wrong with staying up all night programming :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I stay up all nighting coding on accident. Its hell at school the next day though.