Omnimaga is back!

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Omnimaga is back!

Post by DJ_O »

Ok, some of you probably remember that my site got deleted 1.5 month ago due to a server pb. Now It's back (fginally). Since the last update was back in november I decided to add new stuff like a project section and a HP/casio archive.

For those who didn't got time to visit it, Omnimaga is actually a calculator game archive like ticalc.org, but the only files you will find here are RPGs and libraries for basic programmers and it's now also for casio and HP calculators. However on the website, there is only one ARPGCs, NO menu-based RPGs and NO battle arenas like pokemon vs digimon, only true rpgs like Shadow World, TVF, FFTOM, Desolate, Narkemen and all great classics RPGs like Dying Eyes. NO MORE NEED TO SEARCH TICALC.ORG ARCHIVES!!! :) CrimsonCasio offered me some disk space to host the website (sorry kv83 :( ). You can now visit it at:

http://omnimaga.earthforge.com

and note that the unitedti.org/members/omnimaga, omnimaga.tk and omnimaga.cjb.net have been disabled.
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Awesome! Although I wouldn't say Desolate is an RPG.. it's more of a cross between Adventure and Puzzle, but what the RPG genre really is, is a bit debateable. To each his own :)
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

DarkAuron wrote:Awesome! Although I wouldn't say Desolate is an RPG.. it's more of a cross between Adventure and Puzzle, but what the RPG genre really is, is a bit debateable. To each his own :)
RPG is for me a Role Play Game. You play the role of a clone in desolate. So it could be described as a RPG. Though in the 'modern' world, RPG's are more related to Magic, Stats and Turnbased battle :P
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Yes, technically speaking Desolate isn't an RPG but an Adventure. In Adventure's there's also roleplay but no character development by adjusting stats. Though it's a really thin line, since Desolate might be the only Adventure for the TI83.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

To be ontopic btw; Good your back Kevin. It's defently a great site! Sorry I couldn't set things up for you fast enough :oops:
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

kv83 wrote:To be ontopic btw; Good your back Kevin. It's defently a great site! Sorry I couldn't set things up for you fast enough :oops:
Actually, since my site is now also a casio site I thought it would be a better idea to put it one the server where 90% of the world casio website are hosted.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

kv83 wrote:RPG is for me a Role Play Game. You play the role of a clone in desolate. So it could be described as a RPG. Though in the 'modern' world, RPG's are more related to Magic, Stats and Turnbased battle :P
Not always turn-based :roll:
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

There are RPGs where you don't battle, where you do some derivative of battling and those with real time battling. Battling has nothing to do with RPG.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

yeah Desolate is a hard game to categorise ... btw kozak and kv83 ... i just noticed your locations! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Kevin, nice site! You've reviewed an incredible amount of RPG's I see. Godo work. But you should give Warrior RPG a better score though. Although it doesnt run on a real calc (crashes), its graphics are totally awesome! Smooth scrolling and graphically the best battle engine I've seen so far. One big world, too.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

btw kozak and kv83 ... i just noticed your locations! .
Yeah, I think they were inspired by mine :lol:
Kevin, nice site! You've reviewed an incredible amount of RPG's I see. Godo work. But you should give Warrior RPG a better score though. Although it doesnt run on a real calc (crashes), its graphics are totally awesome! Smooth scrolling and graphically the best battle engine I've seen so far. One big world, too.
It's very good game. The only problem I found is that walking was incredibly slow , but battles, graphics and many other stuff were pretty awesome. But of course, reviews are a bit biased on the opinion of the one who write them. :)
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Just one little notice: actually Omnimaga contain many games that are not avaliable at calc.org, ticalc.org and calcgames.org and they are hard to find anywhere else. This include my very old french RPG serie known as Illusiat. Right now I have a project on stanby "Illusiat memories" and the goal of this project is to translate all the 12 RPGs in english and upload them in one zip file at ticalc.org. What I want to say here is that some of them have alerady been translated and are avaliable on my website as individual files. I only need to restart Illusiat 4 (might be coded in MLC) from scratch and translate Illusiat 12 and it's done.

There is one RPG in this serie I want to point out: Illusiat 11. In my old hi-school days, when I released this game everyone was coming at me to get it on their calculator and many people beaten it. It's the only RPG I ever created that feature both weapons and armors. Plus, as you level up, you get new abilities that you can equip to your character, allowing to attack with new commands. For example at level 2, you get the ITEM command and at levle 5 you get MAGIC command. It also features more hours of gameplay than RL3 and many side quests. You can download it here:
http://omnimaga.earthforge.com/illusiat11.zip
What I wanted to know is: would it be a good idea to make a new version with better graphics, more abilities and an extended storyline?
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

tr1p1ea wrote:yeah Desolate is a hard game to categorise ... btw kozak and kv83 ... i just noticed your locations! :).
Desolate is very much like Zelda, and i think Zelda is an adventure. Though some people classify Zelda as an RPG too (why??).
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Zelda is an adventure. You could also call Mario an Adventure but because it's platform style they call it a Platformer.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Some people consider the Zelda series as an RPG because Link can get upgrades, a variety of equipment, and carries rupees around with him and buy things. In a sense, that's basically what an RPG is, however most people consider an RPG a game where your character is (sometimes) very customizeable with his/her equipment, can buy or find all their equipment through questing, and having a stat/level system that increases your character's potential as you play the game.

I consider Zelda as an Adventure game because even though it sports many traits that RPGs tend to have, Adventure games often require the character to collect *something*, possibly obtaining new skills along the way, and work their way up to the final threat. One simple example is Super Mario 64, where Mario must obtain stars and continue through the castle until he can beat Bowser the final time and save Princess Peach. Another example which is a bit more flexible is Banjo Kazooie, where the two heroes must collect Notes, Jiggies, and new abilities to make their way to Gruntilda at the end. Listing N64 games is easiest, because NES and SNES games are harder to categorize..