[SHATTERED OASIS] I need a title screen.

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

[SHATTERED OASIS] I need a title screen.

Post by BetaSword »

Aye, I do. Cause frankly, I don't have one. All past ones have been kinda... Bare. And ugly. And basically suck. So that's why this little post is here. To ask to see if anyone wants to make one, if they have any free time. Basically, it can be anything, as long as it says "Shattered Oasis" on it, and fits within a 96x64 rectangle (surprising, no?). To help give ideas, here is the basic premise of the story, for the first ever time revealed. Woo.

So, every hundred years, there's a war. A very small war. Maybe more of a battle. A battle between the forces of good and evil. Or, more rather the forces of light and dark. Each side consists of 4 people, each having been born as the vessel for one of either the light elements or the dark elements. The light elements consist of water, earth, fire, and wind, while the dark elements consist of death, destruction, terror, and chaos. These battles have been going on for millenia, and yet remain to be completely unknown. And hey, 100 years have passed since the last bit of slaughter and death, so guess what happens now? Yep, that's right. It begins anew. But this time, something will change, something will be different. Something that may very well threaten existance itself, not just the planet.

Oh yes. Epic, isn't it? Anyways, any and all help will be greatly appreciated, and all due credit will indeed be given in the case that someone does make a title screen that I end up using.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm, I have some ideas in head. Could it be a picture showing an Oasis like the one on the calcwebzine.com or a war, much like the Rhapsody album covers? Also can they be grayscale? I mean with 2 layers I make with my computer program then on calc I display the second layer with Zpic (from archive memory), store it in Pic0 for example, then display the first one (also from archive with Zpic) then do this with Omnicalc:

Repeat Z=21
Getkey->Z
Real(20,0,0,0,96,62,0,0
End

or with better grayscale quality:

Repeat Z=21
Real(20,0,0,0,96,62,0,0
Getkey->Z
For(W,1,10
Real(20,0,0,0,96,62,0,0
End
End

so you have a grayscale pic, or do they absaolutely have to be B/W?
ImageImageImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

offtopic: thats a real nice sig.

On: yeah listen to Kevin, he knows what he is doing.

as he is almost finished with diortem, b/c it dieing was a LATE april fools joke....Right?
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

LOL, hmm, yeah diortem is dead actually :(
ImageImageImageImage
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Wait, Kevin... Lemme get this straight... Using one layer of the pic in archive, recalled using zpic, and having the other layer just be in one of pic0-9, one can do that? If so, then sure, I'd like to see what you can come up with. As it is, I'm kinda pressed for picture space with all the sprites and stuff, but if it only uses one pic, it should be fine.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Yeah, actually there is two picture, but both are in the archive memory. The second one is called with zpic (I LOVE ZPIC AND FLASH GORDON :) ), then stored into any unused pic (in my case pic0), then you just recall the first one and start displaying the pic0 from omnicalc very quickly. Basically this should give something like this:

It's better and faster on calc, VTI doesnt make good grayscale, especially in BASIC, I hope PindurTI emulator will be compatible with the 83+ in the final versions. Also in title screens its a lot better. I hope to come out with a title screen soon.

EDIT: *cough* I ph3@r my pentium II running screenshot while linstening to music :x !!!11*cough*
ImageImageImageImage
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Wait a sec... That screenshot was made using VTI? And the game uses Omnicalc? And you made an animated screenshot?! Tell me how!

Oh, and yeah, I'd like to see some of your title screen ideas, too.
MetalHead25
Extreme Poster

Post by MetalHead25 »

how do u do grayscale?
I WORSHIP THOSE WHO LIKE METAL

'MY OTHER RIDE IS YOUR MOM....'
ImageJeff Hanneman-Slayer (1991 Black Magic Video)
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

BetaSword wrote:Wait a sec... That screenshot was made using VTI? And the game uses Omnicalc? And you made an animated screenshot?! Tell me how!
(I think I should relese a small tutorial at ticalc.org showing how to send files to VTI alpha)

Ok, I hope you have a TI-83+, not a Silver Edition, and make sure you have both VTI 2.5 and 3.0 alpha on your computer. I also recommend you dont have anything higher than OS 1.14 because I only tested this procedure with OS 1.14 and I cannot guarantee that this will work with any newer OS.

1) Back up your calc files in case (on a computer or in the arc memory)
2) Archive everything
3) Start VTI 2.5 beta ROM dumper (for that you need to move all ROMs out of the VTI folder if you have any otherwise it skip the ROM dumping program)
4) Follow VTI instrucations to dump your calc ROM to your comp (doesnt work with USB cable)
5) Once the rom is dumped (it takes around 20 minutes), put the ROM in the VTI 3.0 alpha folder
6) Start VTI 3.0 alpha
7) SURPRISE! All your Shattered Oasis files and Omnicalc are in the emulated calc. Basically when you dump a ROM with VTI rom dumper all the archived files are included with the ROM
8) Now unarchive all your needed files (on the emu)
9) Install Omnicalc
10) now if you followed those steps correctly you should be able to run the game on the emulator
11) To make screenshots dowload Calcapture, try to mess around with the setting (read the readme also) and start animated screenshotting

there is another solution: pray so that CoBB will implement TI-83+ compatibility in PindurTI and use the build in screenshot maker
ImageImageImageImage
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Ok here is my first idea:
grayscale:
Image Image
Monochrome:

I didnt took the war concept in this one, I just took an oasis concept since the game title had the word oasis in it, maybe I'll try to make a war concept title screen once I'll get an idea. I had the rhapsody-rain of a thousand flames idea but it was too much medieval and SO is sci-fi. I know this isnt the best, I tried to do my best in converting the pic to 800x600 24 bit color to 96x64 3 level grayscale :oops: but it's not very easy. Tell me what you think and if you like it I'll convert it to 8xi format

oh and Omnicalc 1.26 is out so we can now have 96x63 grayscale pictures instead of just 96x62 :)
ImageImageImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Cool titlescreens Kevin :). The B&W one looks almost as good as the grayscale ones :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Yeah, just the title would need to be reconverted though, as it look fuzzy and I could easily remake it. The one thing I dont like about computer colors is that for example the middle color is R:128 G:128 B:128, but it is not EXACTLY the middle color in reality. That cause the checkered pattern in the screenshot to not be made correctly. If this problems didnt existed we would have Reuben Quest 3 with animated grayscale sprites right now.
ImageImageImageImage
MetalHead25
Extreme Poster

Post by MetalHead25 »

but doesn't omnicalc need rom higher than 1.2 and VTI needs 1.2
I WORSHIP THOSE WHO LIKE METAL

'MY OTHER RIDE IS YOUR MOM....'
ImageJeff Hanneman-Slayer (1991 Black Magic Video)
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Also you could use rigview for a title pic, which would be completely flickerless (Kevin's is flickerless on an SE but not a black 83+), allows four-level greyscale, and the pic is stored as a compressed asm program so it doesn't take up precious pic files and also takes less mem.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

still acceptable for the 83+. I think betasword is currently running under very very low RAM. He could use rigview and archive the program with CODEX, Zflash or anything like that, but that would mean lot of garbage collect so he have to use my technique or make it monochrome.

Omnicalc now requires ROM 1.13 or higher and now also work on 1.15, 1.16, 1.17 and 1.18
ImageImageImageImage