Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

HUD togglable...wow that would be very cool! :D
The Revolution is here...
sic
Site Admin

Post by sic »

Well in the original games, wasn't samus' health displayed by a floating purple bar on the right side of the screen, like pheonix?

I need to be able to display health, current weapon, ammo, possibly some other stuff. I was toying with the idea of using the rightmost 8 pixels for this. I could make a HUD kind of like Mario83. The benefits of this would be that the scrolling/sprite drawing/some other things would be slightly faster because they wouldn't have to draw the rightmost column of the screen. The downside would be that there would be less screen space to play with. What do you think?

If i had the floating bar, and possibly just put the ammo and current weapon at the top of the screen using clipped sprites, I could use the entire screen for gameplay. However, this would require more CPU time than the mario-esque HUD because each item would need to be redrawn each frame.

Comments?
Calv!n.n0.1

Post by Calv!n.n0.1 »

I think using the Marioish style HUD would work the best. I wouldn't really mind seeing 8 pixels less of the map. And, as you said, performance would be upped a notch.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

I think using the Marioish style HUD would work the best. I wouldn't really mind seeing 8 pixels less of the map. And, as you said, performance would be upped a notch.
- I agree. As Calvin said, I can live with a little less of the map being shown. Again as stated whatever can improve performance is good enough for me! Once I heard that you would be able to move the screen left and right...when Samus was standing there. Is that implemented Joe or was that just an idea. Because if it was implmented than for sure losing 8 pixels would be no problem!
The Revolution is here...
MODS

Post by MODS »

Go for the HUD. Performance is everything! lol
---===::\/enIgmA\/::===---
SenorPhrog

Post by SenorPhrog »

Yeah, I agree--a Mario-style hud would be best. Get Cyan working on a spiffy design for that, if he can spare the time. Perhaps have a miniaturized version of the "S" Samus logo (originally the icon for the Screw Attack, you know the one) in the upper corner if you've got the space, and when they go to the pause/map screen (provided there is a pause/map screen) you could possibly make it appear as though that screen extends from that little logo, for a neat GUI sorta effect. Or not. Thought just occured to me. I'm glad to hear you're still keeping this baby alive, and do sincerely look forward to the next screenshotty goodness. I see that you've included a little snippet of one in the upper right corner of this forum's new banner, with Samus standing before a rather fetching chozo statue. I like it a lot. But anyway, please have a safe and enjoyable and generally merry Christmas, everybody.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I havent heard from Cyan in a little while. But yeah, i like the Mario HUD idea for basically the same reasons already mentioned.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'd put a small line for each energy tank next to a number representing the energy in the current tank (partially erase an energy tank icon if it's empty) , a small missile icon and a number for missiles (I'm thinking a Fusion-style missile upgrade system would be best, rather than having to switch between diferent types of missiles- and having icons for each). However it would be better to press one button t select missiles and press it again to deselect- you can only really use one button at a time on 83 besides directionals, so no Fusion-like holding down the missile button.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
MODS

Post by MODS »

So how much longer do we have to wait?
---===::\/enIgmA\/::===---
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Pretty simple answer that one.

From 'now' until its 'done'.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

tr1p1ea wrote:From 'now' until its 'done'.
Hehe... pretty simple indeed. Maybe we should make it the Maxcoderz slogan :P 'From now until it's done - Maxcoderz' :D
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

kv83 wrote:Hehe... pretty simple indeed. Maybe we should make it the Maxcoderz slogan :P 'From now until it's done - Maxcoderz' :D
Reminds me of 'There and Back Again' from LotR. :o
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

There and Back Again IS NOT FROM LoTR!!! Its from the prequel, The Hobbit! The Hobbit is SWEET!! :) But LoTR is sweet too :lol: Read The Hobbit and i read all the LoTR books and saw all the movies :P Great slogan by the way!
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

I think 'from now until it's done' is kind of lame as a slogan. Why do you need a slogan anyway?
T0RM3N7
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by T0RM3N7 »

I thought that it was kinda funny :lol: :lol:
Back to metroid, I think we could all use more speed over more space
I'd go with the Mario HUD
but if you want somethin really cool go with the Metroid Prime HUD
then you could have a fairly square area of view w/ a spiffy lookin HUD
8) 8)
girls=time*money
time=money
girls=money*money