Guitar Hero

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Guitar Hero

Post by Floodkiller »

Even though there are plenty of dance dance games out there, I am thinking that someone could get very innovative with this, such as flipping the calc on its left side, scrolling the screen horizontally right to left, and making the player hold the calc like a guitar in order to hit the buttons correctly. Either that, or they could just use the top 5 buttons and be uninnovative, but it would still be a different way to play a music game on a calc :D.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I only have one issue with this type of game. Where is the "music" going to come from? Ohh!!!

Now I've gone off and had an idea... would it be possible to time a calc game to a CD track? Press play on the CD track and the first couple of seconds are a bit of linkport noise that essentially starts the calc game. (Connect the CD player to the calc using an adapter, and split the connection to use headphones.) Then, provided the CD doesnt skip and the calculator can keep up, the music and the calc will stay in sync while the game plays.

You would have to have the game adjust its timings for different calcs, or release CD tracks with tempos altered for compatability, but I could see this working out...

-gamefreak

PS: Sorry for jumping at this, but I had the thought at a random moment.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

yeah...it's not fun without the music!
Maybe with usb-related stuff it could be possible...
I think, therefore iMac
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

isn't Guitar Hero the same as DDR, just with a guitar-controller?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

kv83 wrote:isn't Guitar Hero the same as DDR, just with a guitar-controller?
And good music. ;)
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

And more badass all around.
Guitar > dancing
I think, therefore iMac
Captain_America

Post by Captain_America »

I think I could try making it but it would be in basic. And I think it loses the fun factor with out music.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Not worth it.
I think, therefore iMac
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

kv83 wrote:isn't Guitar Hero the same as DDR, just with a guitar-controller?
The gameplay is different. In most music games, you have to push the right button on the beat of the music. In guitar hero, you have to hold a certain fret button then stroke the whatever it's called on the beat.

Guitar Hero is really not that great, the music is one sided and poorly covered, there are not that much songs, the scoring system is shady to say the least and it doesn't award good timing at all. There's just hit and miss, so if you can full combo a song (which usually isn't hard at all in music games) you get the max score. While in DDR, IIDX and any proper music game you have to get the timing right (to a fraction of a second, 20ms for Fantastic in ITG or i believe even less for flashing great in IIDX) to get more points, and combo doesn't matter for scoring at all (just the percentage of notes hit).

Also, music games suck ass WITHOUT MUSIC.
cartj

Post by cartj »

I have to disagree with you leofox. I think guitar hero is a really fun game despite the music being one sided ( there are some really good songs but not even close to enough [ guitar hero 2 is even more one-sided]). As for the game not requiring accuracy, have you played it on expert (or even hard for that matter)?
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I completely disagree with you, leofox! There are plenty of songs in GH2; all of which are well-covered. You have to have good timing to play it, especially with the harder songs. I'm an experienced guitarist, and it kicks ass being able to do hammerons and pulloffs like I do in real life in the game.
I think, therefore iMac
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

cartj wrote:I have to disagree with you leofox. I think guitar hero is a really fun game despite the music being one sided ( there are some really good songs but not even close to enough [ guitar hero 2 is even more one-sided]). As for the game not requiring accuracy, have you played it on expert (or even hard for that matter)?
You didn't get my point. Almost every music game has a lot of different grades or whatever per note. Even Donkey Konga has Boo, Good and Great. You can clear a song by just getting Good, but to get a good score you have to get as much Great as possible. That's the whole challenge in these games. Guitar Hero totally lacks that.
cartj

Post by cartj »

Ok, I see what you mean. As a guitarist myself I would like to see that implemented. Still, I think guitar hero is a great game despite that.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I like how you can use the whammy on bass :)
I think, therefore iMac
cartj

Post by cartj »

Yeah I noticed that. I don't think I have ever seen a bass with a whammy.
It might be cool though.