Advance Wars

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

what size sprites should I use?

8x8
No votes
12x12
83%
16x16
17%

Total votes: 6

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I agree, 12x12 is probably the best you can do ... Depending on how your tilemapper works you might waste some space, but possibly you could use that for other uses.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

wow cant wait...Those sprites look great dragon__lance!
The Revolution is here...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Just some comments on the sprites. I've noticed that you really can't make out if a sprite is on top of a building, or what kind of buiding, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem, as it's hard to tell in the real game also. The solution that they use is that if you hold b on a location with no unit, it makes the units all transparent. I think this would work nicely on calc.

About the black space at the bottom of the screen, how would I be able to use that, as I only have 4 pixels high? I was hoping to fit text in there, but 4 pixels isn't really enough. Maybe I can cut off a row of pixels at the bottom of the display area so I can have text.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

I dunno how text would really work in such small a space. I think your better off just leaving it blank, I'll try to get more sprites done tonight, the solution you suggested with transparent sprites is nice.