Advance Wars

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

what size sprites should I use?

8x8
No votes
12x12
83%
16x16
17%

Total votes: 6

CompWiz
Calc King

Advance Wars

Post by CompWiz »

Having just finished the Advance Wars 2 campaign, I was thinking of the possibility of porting it to calculator. I enjoyed the game, and it would be well suited for the calculator. A tile-by-tile scrolling engine and tile by tile movement for units is easy enough to implement. In fact, it could probably be done with xlib. I think the hardest part would be getting all the game information, like the story text, and getting the AI thinking like it did in the game. I figured it would be an easier first-asm project than n-game. Also, it would probably be a great candidate for grayscale. I think I might just start with getting multiplayer working, and then assess the feasability of implementing the campaign. Any comments?
Last edited by CompWiz on Mon 14 Aug, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I was going to suggest sticking with multiplayer for now, and then you mentioned it :)

And really, there's not a terrible amount of information that needs to be stored for each of the different terrains/units... Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not huge on Advanced Wars, but it seems like it would fit well on a calc. I say go for it!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Anyone want to volunteer to convert the sprites? I'm going to need someone to do it if this is going to happen.

So, should I go with 16x16 or 8x8 sprites? The FOV would be pretty small with 16x16, while 8x8 would give a FOV almost the same as the actual version. However, would you be able to tell what the units are with 8x8 sprites? Anyone want to convert one sprite to 4 lvl greyscale in 8x8 and 16x16 so we can compare?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I think that for a game like this, graphics would play a large role in its enjoyability. I don't know that 8x8 would do it justice, although grayscale might assuage it some. There are people here who can do wonders when working with small sprites. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, I'm terrible at sprites. And while 16x16 sprites would look great(the real game uses that size) the viewing area would be very small. That could make it harder to play the game. I just want to see if someone can make a good looking, or at least recognizable 8x8 sprite. Otherwise I guess I'll have to go with 16x16.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

You could go for 12x12. Granted, there would be some wasted space, but it would still give you a decent FOV. You could write your own sprite routine that loaded a row of 18 bytes (the 12x12 sprites squished together without the 4 bit padding) bit by bit into a 16x12 (or 12x16, not sure of the order) array, saving I believe 6 bytes per sprite. Well, 6 bytes per sprite minus the size the routine you create takes up.

Sorry if that's too confusing, lol. I'm trying to explain, but having difficulty.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hmm, well, it seems that 12x12 only would allow me to have one more sprite vertically, and two more across. I don't know if that's worth the wasted space. Well, I'm reserving judgement until I see a sprite at the various sizes. That's the only way I'd really be able to tell what would be good.

Thanks for the advice. :)
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

i'd be happy to convert some sprites for you :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

that would be great. :) Could you try converting one of the unit sprites from Advance Wars 2 to 16x16, 12x12 and 8x8 4 lvl grayscale? Convert like a tank or some unit. Also, make sure to get the small 16x16 map sprite, not the larger one that is used in the battle scene.
Thanks in advance, that would be a huge help. :)

Also, just so you know, no need to really rush. I probably won't be able to come on here again until next monday, since a lightning storm messed up my home cable internet, and I'm not ready to start this game immediately anyway. So, take your time. :)
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Check announce your projects, someone was making this. Use his sprites.
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

i think he wants grayscale :D i believe the other AW project was in b+w. (correct me if i'm wrong)

well i did 4 lvl gs of all units....i'll see wat i can do for 12*12,but 8*8 a little pushing it for size :)

edit:note that i ran the image through a converter,some didn't come out to great,i'll fix them :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Now enlargen that to about 4 times its size and you've got what it would look like on the calc!

Wow...only four rows would fit.
Last edited by chickendude on Sat 05 Aug, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You enlarge it to 2x or there abouts, at least at my res. That would give you a grid of 6x4.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

it should look very nice on the calc,even if the pics are a bit large :) The 1 hard thing i have to ask you compwiz,is what are you planning about different teams in AW? Different colors?
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

check out patori's thread I made some sprites...actually they are just ripped from those ones that dragon lance posted. I might still have them saved so it can save you some time.

found them for you...
The Revolution is here...