Advance Wars

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

what size sprites should I use?

8x8
No votes
12x12
83%
16x16
17%

Total votes: 6

dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

i'd recommend going for the 8*8s.I hope to have more converted to both 8*8's and 12*12's by l8ter this evening :D btw,as for unit idication,you could always just leave it 2 player,and then the way the unit faces tells the team :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Yeah, the way the unit faces would be a good indicator of the team. However, limiting it to two player would make the campaign impossible. Oh well, if I ever get around to making that, I guess I can change it a bit. Hmm, unless you could have them facing in four directions. Could you do that in 8x8 and still have the units recognizable? Hmm.

Thanks dragon__lance for the sprite work. I look forward to seeing the sprites. Great job so far. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

let the enemy troops always face left and your troops always face right when moving. problem solved ;)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, thats the idea that dragon__lance had. However, what about when there are more than two players?

I hope you're not trying to make it look like that was your idea. :roll:
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Honestly, i didn't read his post :P

4 players is way to much for a z80 game. Keep it simple and go for 2 players. You can change the sprites later on aswell :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, I guess so. ok, two player it is, at least for now. Now the only indicator we need is a number to show hp.

You've been posting on this forum how long and you don't read previous posts before posting? Even with the amount of posts I make(more than you do :mrgreen: ) I still read back on each topic to make sure I know what is being discussed. :P
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

CompWiz wrote:yeah, I guess so. ok, two player it is, at least for now. Now the only indicator we need is a number to show hp.

You've been posting on this forum how long and you don't read previous posts before posting? Even with the amount of posts I make(more than you do :mrgreen: ) I still read back on each topic to make sure I know what is being discussed. :P
Yeah, but the difference is that I got a busy life, which you don't have (playing games on your job... geeeez :P ). Further more, if I have a question I often retrack the topic, but if I just have an idea or something else, it's better to write it down before I forget it ;)

You only should show an indicator of HP when your cursor is on it, otherwise it get's way to busy on the screen imo
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

I agree,unit indication would be hard to fit in such a small area.Dang,after i converted the sprites into 12*12's,I've changed my mind on sprite size! I say go for the 12*12's,they look amazing and look very close to the origional sprites :D So here they are:

I like them a little better,i'll try finishing all the sprites up soon :P

Btw,if you go with 12*12,that'll give you a total screen size of 8*5.I think you 'll have 4 rows left too work with on the bottom,and that could come in handy as a HUD! :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Yeah, I was thinking about using the bottom for a HUD if I went with the 12x12.

Great job with those sprites, they look amazing. :D

Yeah, I think I might have to go with the 12x12, they look so good. So, I want some people's oppinions. Is 8x5 big enough? It's about half of the real advance wars FOV.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I need to see it in action! Then I'll let you know! :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hmm, well, when Dragon_lance makes some of the ground tiles, I can make a mock-up.
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

well since you asked :P
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Ok, I did a quick mock-up, very roughly based on a small part of a battle I'm doing right now on the game.

Thanks for the sprites. Although, could you maybe do a little work on the mountain tile? Maybe put more white at the top like the snow cap in the game.

Hmm, looking at this, I think I'm pretty sure anything smaller than 12x12 wouldn't work very well. However, I'm still fully open to peple's oppinions. What do you think? 8x8, 12x12, or 16x16?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

12x12 looks very nice. It's probably the best size available, imo.
VOTE +1 for 12x12
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, I added a poll, so you can vote officially now. Thanks. :)