Bejeweled

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

anykey
Extreme Poster

Bejeweled

Post by anykey »

Everybody's probably played this game, so why hasn't it been done on the calc yet?
I know I'd play this game (it's addicting!) and I think lots of other people would, too. It doesn't seem too hard, although I'm not sure about the algorithm for generating the gems.
This is a game that could easily be screwed up, so make sure to implement a smooth UI and nice greyscale graphics!

Anybody up to it?

You can find the web version of the game here: http://www.astatix.com/bejeweled-2.php
I think, therefore iMac
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

I love that game. got it on my phone (not the full version though) so it should definately be possible.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

Would be great...i'd love to have it. I've got the full version on my phone ^_^
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Madskillz is making it, he has a forum about it on revsoft.org.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I made a version of it in BASIC using omnicalc. It was a bit slow, but very playable. If I can find the old program I'll let you have it. There are also many asm versions. Try searching ticalc or any of the other sites. (they are sometimes called different things. I know one of them is like magic numbers or something, but it's the same game.)

Oh, and why is the gem-creating algorithem hard? I just used pure random numbers and it worked fine. You can have it do blind move checking before the first display and scoring to prevent gems from disappearing right away.

If I ever have some free time again, I might take i on for asm. (I can get grey running in regular programs, so it shouldn't be too hard. Apps on the other hand, heh, no.)

I also had the idea of expanding on the game with a puzzle mode, introducing several "effect" items that could be used to solve the puzzles. The most important item in this case is the rock, which lets the puzzle maker use less than a whole board, but there are some destructive and changing items as well. I had a lot going for it in my GBA version, so maybe I'll work on a calc version just for fun.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

So the gems are placed using random numbers? I always assumed that it used a formula so that it would be possible to clear all of the gems...
Now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense. This should be a very simple program (that means you can spend more time on the graphics!).
I think, therefore iMac
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

It actually isnt very hard at all...I am working on a bejeweled type of game...it is called Cubez though, pretty much the same thing though. Check out the RevSoft forums for a screenshot. I just got back but I plan to hit this hard after I graduate tomorrow.
The Revolution is here...
Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

Oh, mazeltov
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I have compiled these nice concept shots of what I can probably make my bejeweled game look like. The character in the window is the beloved cheese from sonic advance. He may or may not stay, depending. Let me know if the jewels work for you or not.

I want to make three basic gameplay modes. Classic mode will be the marathon version. You start off with 6 varieties of jewel, and your level increases only with score. When you level up, the oldest jewel is removed from the puzzle (allowing "bonus combos") and a new one is added to the mix. Occasionally, two are added, so that by the final level you can have as many as 10 different jewel varieties. The game ends when you have no legal moves. (There will be a check run after each combo-chain is resolved.)

The second mode is Time Trial mode, probably named different in the end. In this mode there is a timer running down at a set speed. Every run, combo, and chain increases the timer as well as your score. Push the timer all the way to the top and you "beat" the level. Higher levels offer both extra jewels and faster timer countdown.

The third (and probably most entertaining) mode is puzzle mode. In this mode, the jewels start off in a certain arrangement and your jobis to clear all of the jewels off the screen, in a set number of moves. The game makes no use of those stupid timed combos, so it's all pure logic here.

OK, here's the biggest catch of them all. In all three gameplay modes, there are two styles to choose from: Classic and freestyle. The freestyle mode has many additions. The first and foremost of these is the addition of various items. Although rare (except in most freestyle puzzles) these allow you to perform special tricks such as clearing all of one color, an entire row, adding more time, letting you perform illegal moves, etc. Most items are good, some are not so good, but we'll leave that to later. The second freestyle addition is a tactical move: You can rotate the board at any time. The process for this costs a little time, as the timer still runs, but it has many advantages. For instance, if for some reason you are stuck on the lower half of the screen, simply flip the board over (rotate twice) and your next runs will re-arrange the stuck section, giving you a better chance to sort it out. This will also have many uses in the puzzle mode.

As you can see, I'm not letting this game stand as just bejeweled, that's way too boring. I want it to be interesting enough to actually be considered a whole new game rather than just another good port.

Let me know what you think of the jewels. In the end, I will need around 14 different kinds at least, so be ready. Oh, and as a last note, the character space will double as an item window if needed.

-thegamefreak

*EDIT* I just thought about this. Would it be better to possibly have a black background? This would require me to re-think the jewels. I'll see if I can make a screen with that in mind.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Wow, that looks pretty bitchin'.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

the jewels look great! :)

I would like to see the black background version.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

woohoo!
This looks amazing! Good work.
I think, therefore iMac
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Looks nice indeed.. .I wonder how the freestyle mode will work :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow those graphics are really sweet. Imagine if the titlescreen cycled through the colours ... it would be seizure inducing :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

DO THAT! That would look awesome.