Editor?

Porting Richard Russell's BBC BASIC (Z80) to the TI-83+ and TI-84+ series calculators.

Moderator: benryves

bwang

Editor?

Post by bwang »

What happened to that plain-text editor app from the first post in the Progress Thread? It seems like a nice way to edit BBC Basic programs in a way that feels more like the TI-BASIC editor.
Also, is there a way to check whether a file of a certain name exists?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Editor?

Post by benryves »

It was scrapped for space reasons, unfortunately, and I don't have the time to write a new one at the moment. To be properly useful it would need to tokenise/detokenise BBC BASIC programs, which is a laborious and painful job in Z80 assembly, too. :(

As for detecting whether a file exists; OPENIN"FILENAME" will return 0 if no file was found.
builderboy

Post by builderboy »

Bwang has a point. Everybody I've talked to about BBC Basic is all for it and very enthusiastic until they find out how the editor works. It seems to be a major turn away factor :(

On a side note, are programs stored as tokens or characters?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Tokenised. The program format and tokens are documented in the, well, documentation (and the C# editor implements a tokeniser/detokeniser that may be useful as a reference).

The line-based editing is common to old microcomputer BASICs, but I acknowledge that people expect a bit more these days. :| Personally, I write larger programs on the PC first, only writing small programs on the calculator.
bwang

Post by bwang »

Isn't there a BBC Basic star command that reads a text file (*LOADTEXT)?
As for writing programs on the PC, I know several people who dislike programming calculators on anything but a calculator. Part of the attractiveness of calculator programming is that they are portable.
bwang

Post by bwang »

Ben:
If you still have the original text editor app, could you release the app and/or the source? That may, perhaps someone else could write the tokenizer.
Would it be feasible to write the tokenizer in BBC Basic?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

bwang wrote:Ben:
If you still have the original text editor app, could you release the app and/or the source? That may, perhaps someone else could write the tokenizer.
I don't have it, sorry, and it would be entirely possible to write the tokeniser in BBC BASIC. You could always try writing a converter from something like Document DE.