Progress Thread - New demo - Cobra Mk III (18-May-08)

A full (6DOF) 3D engine for TI-83 based calculators.

Moderator: qarnos

Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Ok back on topic, garnos...I had seen your first post and was very excited to try out a demo. I am very grateful that one is out now. Out of nowhere you come and just get me right back into coding. I like to see projects come from thin air and just wow me. Great work, please keep it up!

By the way, the demo works fine for my 84+ SE, but that is only because I bought mine probably before everybody else around here did, so my LCD is usually better than most of the people who have an 84+ SE.
A few games have some screen problems for me Phantom Star, the old version of gH's doom, but I tested out some different solutions that we had and the current version should work, the ASM donkey Kong game, mirage/ion both show a screwed up titlescreen, there are a few others just cant remember them now. Hey CompWiz, can you do me a favor? Try out the latest version of Kv83's slippy its in the forum under like featured projects/side projects or something like that. Then hit me up with a PM...thanks.
The Revolution is here...
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Madskillz wrote:A few games have some screen problems for me Phantom Star, the old version of gH's doom, but I tested out some different solutions that we had and the current version should work, the ASM donkey Kong game, mirage/ion both show a screwed up titlescreen, there are a few others just cant remember them now.
The lcd fix will stop all those screen problems from happening. Those are the same ones I noticed.

PM sent.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Does anyone know of an LCD fix that runs on the normal 83+? Or can anyone make one?
cheese=yum
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

katmaster wrote:Does anyone know of an LCD fix that runs on the normal 83+? Or can anyone make one?
I don't think they need one. I believe the drivers are fine for the 83's and 83+'s. Only the 83+SE, 84+, and 84+SE have bad drivers.

What problem were you having with your display?

One way to tell if your drivers are bad is to run the Donkey Kong 5.0 game. If the grayscale intro screen is messed up, then get the lcd fix and run it(if you have 83+SE, 84+, or 84+SE). Also, Phantom star gets messed up very noticeably when you play it on bad drivers.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

glad someone is getting some use out of that.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

CompWiz wrote:
katmaster wrote:Does anyone know of an LCD fix that runs on the normal 83+? Or can anyone make one?
I don't think they need one. I believe the drivers are fine for the 83's and 83+'s. Only the 83+SE, 84+, and 84+SE have bad drivers.

What problem were you having with your display?

One way to tell if your drivers are bad is to run the Donkey Kong 5.0 game. If the grayscale intro screen is messed up, then get the lcd fix and run it(if you have 83+SE, 84+, or 84+SE). Also, Phantom star gets messed up very noticeably when you play it on bad drivers.
Yep it bounces everywhere. Also, the screen squishes over to the left sometimes, too. Harvest Moon does it a lot....

EDIT: 150th post OH YEAH!!!
cheese=yum
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I've had that harvest moon bug before too. It disappears when you get text on the screen.

Craps, we are off topic.
qarnos
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by qarnos »

Jim e wrote:glad someone is getting some use out of that.
So is this bug being caused by programs using a 60 cycle delay rather than polling the LCD busy bit?
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

<offtopic reprieve>
Timendus wrote:
We've all written Basic 3D engines (or I guess most of us have), and they are all slow and useless. So apart from proving CompWiz right, what exactly are you trying to say?
But do they do dynamic lighting, shading, and hidden lines? :)
</offtopic reprieve>
This is quite impressive, can't wait to see what it will do

RE LCD ERROR: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 36608.html
Image Image Image
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

KermMartian wrote:But do they do dynamic lighting, shading, and hidden lines? :)
I guess not all of them do. And I don't dispute that those things are a lot of fun to code, but it's still
Timendus wrote:slow and useless.
Hence no comparison to this 3D engine, that can actually render something at a decent speed. So it's irrelevant whatever you or anyone else wrote in Basic.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Oh totally, it takes like an hour for even simple scenes. Does that LCD fix I posted help at all?
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

KermMartian wrote:Oh totally, it takes like an hour for even simple scenes. Does that LCD fix I posted help at all?
In case you didn't notice, I posted the very same one a few times in this topic before you posted it. (with the same link)

You could try reading the other posts in the topic.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

qarnos wrote:
Jim e wrote:glad someone is getting some use out of that.
So is this bug being caused by programs using a 60 cycle delay rather than polling the LCD busy bit?
There doesn't seem to be a set needed delay, so useing a safe routine is good idea. I wrote one for the wiki But from a practical standpoint 65 or 67 clock timing "should" work.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Seems to me that everyone should use that bottom routine instead of ionFastCopy all the time, no? Or is it slower on non-faulty lcds?
Image Image Image
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

Even if it isn't, getting everyone to change would be difficult to say the least.
just try to be nice to people.