IGo - The Go Game For Your Calculator!

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

IGo - The Go Game For Your Calculator!

Post by the_unknown_one »

Hello guys, I've started working on a new project. Go is a board game from Japan, which some guys here might be acknowledged with here. I've started playing it about 2 months ago and i'm really enjoying it, became an official player and member of the Ghent Go club. Since as far as I know there are no Go games for calculator, I wanted to share this game with you, and thus make it myself :) IGo will feature:
- nice greyscale graphics
- 9x9 boards (i might include 13x13 and 19x19 boards as well, don't know yet)
- possibly link play or multiplayer with 1 calculator
- probably a (good) AI for the computer, cause else it'd be pretty boring playing it by yourself, or against a shitty AI... Go has a much harder AI than chess, so this'll be hard...
- whatever else a Go game needs ;)

Screenshot & sprites:

The spritesheet

A test of the sprites

The status panel

These gfx were made by root of the #tcpa channel on IRC, who will be doing all the necessary gfx for the game (except menu or something which i might make myself). I've started coding some general stuff, no real progress there yet, but I hope I can show you some stuff of the game in action soon! ;)
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

It is....beautiful. I also have the Go game my dad imported from China. I think it's a pretty hard game to play. Are there ways I can play against you on the internet?
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Yea, it's beautiful, root rocks. Wow, you play Go? Sweet. Yea, it's very hard, takes years of practice to become a good player. And yes, there are ways. I'll show you when you get on MSN ;)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Looks really nice! I hope to see this get finished, so someone can make a go solver :P.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Actually, my cousin used to run a go club at the university she went to. She has a bunch of books on it. The graphics you posted look great. I hope the AI programming goes well.
Hey, here's an idea. Have a contest to see who can write the best AI for 9x9 go. People wouldn't even have to know how to program, just a bunch of pseudo code would work as well, if you wanted to see what logic you need to do. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Thanks kalan. Go solver? LOL You wish ;)
Compwiz: Nice, if you're interested you could check out the books. And yes, the graphics are great. The AI programming will be hard but i'll try my best! Hmm... the contest isn't a bad idea... I'll think about it ;)
pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

I must say it's beautiful :)
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Thanks pacHa, you guys all have to say that to root, he made the gfx, i'm just gonna turn them into the game ;)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Well I will let him know they look nice later on tcpa. Any programming done yet?
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Yea, some general stuff, not much yet, haven't had time. But i'll code some more this week.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'm glad to see you working on something again. How much code is done?

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Not much yet, haven't had much time yet to code... Also, waiting for root to get done with all the gfx he's doing :) Like this one he just gave me:

I'm thinking about letting the player decide (in Options) if they want to play in normal or Japanese style ;)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

the_unknown_one wrote:I'm thinking about letting the player decide (in Options) if they want to play in normal or Japanese style ;)
What's the difference? :puzzled:

That pic looks great for only 4 lvl grayscale.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah i looks great, but could it be possible to make the bottom a little lighter or a little more of a gradient effect.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Compwiz: the difference is between the last board (and status panel) and the old board (root hasn't made a "normal" panel yet).
Kalan: Ah THAT's what you mean, didn't get it at revsoft. Well, i'd have to discuss that with root...