LSDOS

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Xeda

LSDOS

Post by Xeda »

LSDOS is a program I have been working on to showcase the potential of two other programs I was working on recently: CopyProg and GetName.

CopyProg is a program that lets you copy almost any var from RAM or archive to another var. This is pretty useful for if you want to copy a picture to an appvar or programs to GDBs or whatnot to avoid cluttering menus. Also, if you have program data in an archived var, you can copy it to a temp program with the advantage that temp programs are automatically deleted when you return to the homescreen. However, if you need to delete a variable (again, from RAM or archive), you can do this with CopyProg as well.

GetName returns the name of a var using a number. If you want the name of the first program in the programs menu or the name of the first AppVar, you can use this program. Also, this program returns the size of the variable data as well as the archive status in theta.
GetName becomes useful especially when you need to recreate a var menu or you want to copy an appvar with lowercase letters in its name. Since variables are named in ASCII, not tokens, you cannot use lowercase letters with CopyProg. However, using the output from GetName will work.

LSDOS is a BASIC program that acts like a shell, but not just a simple shell that executes programs. Not only can it execute archived programs, but if for some crazy reason you have a picture with program data in it or some other var, you can execute it and you can execute assembly programs as well. On top of that, you can view programs (even if they are in archive).

What I plan to add:
-Support for LSDOS programs-
These programs will have a special header and if they are BASIC, certain subprograms will be loaded into RAM for the program to make use of. They will mostly be tools for BASIC programmers to use to cut down on program size. If it is an assembly program, routines will be loaded into AppBackUpScreen for the asm programs to use.
-Copying to vars-
I plan to give the option to copy variables to specified vars. So if you want to copy a picture to an appvar, you can do this from a menu.
-Archive/Unarchive/Delete-
I want to add options to perform these functions on variables.
-Copy/Paste/Edit-
I want to add features to copy lines of code from programs and insert them into other programs. I also want to add the ability to delete lines.
-PictureView-
I want to add the ability to view data as a picture or a sprite instead of just a program view.

Features I have on my calc but haven't implemented yet >_>:
Hehe, so I made a really cool program that lets me compile hex programs on the calc that can have notes... I *want* to add label support to make on the calc programming easier, but for now it is pretty cool to be able to comment code.

So here are the downloads and screenie ^-^
LSDOS:
LSDOS v1.10.zip
(62.07 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
CopyProg and GetName:
CopyProg & GetName.zip
(7.14 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Screenie ^-^
exzample 1.gif
exzample 1.gif (138.83 KiB) Viewed 13731 times
P.S.- LSDOS is a derivation of MirageOS... I was originally going to try HallucinationOS until *somebody* said LSDOS and made my day that much brighter ♥
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Re: LSDOS

Post by NanoWar »

It's cool to program, but it's also just another MOS clone.
Difficult to program a "standard" shell these days... :ninja:
Revolution Software
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

Yeah, I know, but the real intent is to show off CopyProg and GetName and what can be done with the two programs aiding BASIC :D
Xeda

Post by Xeda »

:puzzled: MOS clone, you say?
-Executes BASIC and asm programs
-Executes from archive or RAM
-view the archive status and size
-Ability t delete vars

Okay, I guess I can see that....

;)

Wait a minute....

-BASIC program (does use some assembly tools)
-Executes appvars, strings, pictures, temp programs as well as programs and protected programs
-Allows viewing of variable data
-Allows copying of variables to other variables (not necessarily of the same type)
-Doesn't break compatibility with libraries for BASIC programs

I guess that is why I suck at biology... my cloning skills are pretty crappy :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, though, I think I might make an assembly version of this sometime because I find a use for it. It will be especially useful once I add the stuff I want to add. I really don't care if it becomes a "standard shell" because that isn't my goal. My goal is to make my life easier for programming and I figured I would share some tools that I use. The same thing is true for BatLib. BatLib is an app that I use for my own programming. I could care less if other people use it or not, but I figured that other people might find a use for it, so I decided to introduce it to the community.

I am fully aware of the "competition," but I am not competing. That being said, I do enjoy it when my programs are seen as competition and when other people find more use in them than "the competition." Anyway, I figured I would supply an update :)
LSDOS v1.20
Attachments
LSDOS Example 2.gif
LSDOS Example 2.gif (236.2 KiB) Viewed 13615 times