[TI-Z80 APP] A puzzle collection games pack

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

[TI-Z80 APP] A puzzle collection games pack

Post by driesguldolf »

After spending 1.5 years starting projects I couldn't make, I decided to first make some simple demonstrations to test myself.
But now, I think the time has come for an 'ultimate' test for myself:
I always loved Puzzle Pack, but after a while it became really boring (lack of a level editor, no that many levels, ...) thus I want to make such a game myself. A couple of weeks ago I discovered Brass, It was never so easy to make applications, (if you're still using tasm to compile your projects then my advice is: drop tasm and get brass! Check the "brass and latenite" forum). This game will be available for the ti83+/ti83+SE/ti84+/ti84+SE calcs
Because I'm not a game developper most of the games I found at gaming sites

note: I will add images soon (EDIT: anyone knows a good free image hosting service (I checked imageshack.us but for some reason (distance?) it is really slow)?)

Currently I have 4 games in my mind that I want to implement:
* Blox is a tilted version of Pegs, where all the 'blox' fall down, by moving a cursor you can drag a blox, if 2/3 or more are aligned (they touch each other) they dissappear
ideas:
- some blox can only be removed if all the other blox are gone
- water and/or lava, certain blox can make bridges, if you drag other blox in it, you lose
- elevators (horizontal and vertical)
- blox are stackable
- smoothscrolling tilemaps (larger than the screen)
- a level editor, external and internal levels
-... any more ideas?

* Breakout, I've seen multiple attempts but none of them really satisfied me so I decided to make my own
ideas:
- 12x6 pixels bricks, making 8x7 or 8x8 bricks per screen
- Paddle upgrades (sticky and shooting)
- bonusses (1up, kill, split ball, next level, ... too many to list)
- all sorts of bricks (normal, unbreakable, breakable after several hits, exploding, invisible, ... more ideas?)
- multiple balll sizes (normal, tiny and large)
- multiple ball types (explosive, go trough all, normal, ... more ideas?)
- ... more ideas?

* Aquaria (needs a better name): basically a port from this game: http://www.miniclip.com/games/acnos-energizer/en/, I believe that this game has high potential for great puzzles
ideas:
- 8x8 tiles smoothscrolling tilemaps (variable width)
- all the stuff included in the original game
- a level editor, external and internal levels
- This one needs help with graphics
-... more ideas?

* Not sure of the last one, It started as a Jezzball game, but I've changed my mind, now it's Balls: http://www.alexheaton.co.uk/, but I'm experiencing some difficulties here... I don't know what to do with it...

* Any more games that you think that just have to be in this package? Post it! (or email if you're a guest)

To make this topic manageable please discuss the game as a whole and blox first
Last edited by driesguldolf on Tue 26 Jun, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Acnos Energizer reminds me very much of an old DOS game in which you had to collect hearts and drop apples on grenades and finally go through an exit thing
And that was a nice game, it will probably be quite successful
Jim e
Calc King

Re: [TI-Z80 APP] A puzzle collection games pack

Post by Jim e »

Some one programming in ASM?!?! omg finally!
driesguldolf wrote: A couple of weeks ago I discovered Brass, It was never so easy to make applications, (if you're still using tasm to compile your projects then my advice is: drop tasm and get brass! Check the "brass and latenite" forum).
Still no love for the revsoft deving software... :cry:
I said it before I'll say it again, all that software is just to get Zelda out the door.

* Not sure of the last one, It started as a Jezzball game, but I've changed my mind, now it's Balls: http://www.alexheaton.co.uk/, but I'm experiencing some difficulties here... I don't know what to do with it...
Honestly Jezzball would be easier. Balls requires a bit more physics. While its relatively simple physics, its still harder then jezz ball.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

@Jim e: I have made jezzball already but I'm not really happy with it, then I came across that link somewhere in the program ideas forum, when I saw balls, I just had to give it a try.
Not sure what you mean by "revsoft deving software" but I'll check it out

@King Harold: Hehe, I choose that game not for nothing!
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

SPASM is another Z80 assembler - it's significantly faster than other assemblers. :) I'd recommend it over Brass.

This sounds like a great app! I'm looking forwards to playing its games...
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

You don't have to be that modest Ben :)
What I love about Brass is that it just works unlike many other assemblers that you sort of have to fool into actually assembling your source, and if you're really in bad luck you need a separate linking program as well.
Brass ftw! :)

SPASM is probably about a 100 times faster than Brass 1 though, but I heard Brass 2 is going to be much faster than Brass 1

Don't give up on this driesguldolf! It's too nice a project to let it die
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

I'm pretty sure Ben said that Brass 2 is in jeopardy...
Image Image Image
calc84maniac

Re: [TI-Z80 APP] A puzzle collection games pack

Post by calc84maniac »

Jim e wrote:Some one programming in ASM?!?! omg finally!
driesguldolf wrote: A couple of weeks ago I discovered Brass, It was never so easy to make applications, (if you're still using tasm to compile your projects then my advice is: drop tasm and get brass! Check the "brass and latenite" forum).
Still no love for the revsoft deving software... :cry:
I said it before I'll say it again, all that software is just to get Zelda out the door.
I'm programming in asm... (kinda, at least; I haven't felt like continuing my secret contest project recently)
And WabbitSpasm is the only assembler I've ever used (on the computer).
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

This isn't an assembler thread guys...

Have you ever played chips Challenge's? that'd game be great for a puzzler. Front liner really. It uses really simple mapping and sprites so its well within the reach of someone who is learning.

Sorry don't know any image hosting...if you got some good screens I think attaching at revsoft and copying the url to other boards should work fine. The links might not be permanent though if we update the software later.
calc84maniac

Post by calc84maniac »

Yes, I have thought about Chip's Challenge before. Think about what it would be like with 4-level grayscale! :D *nags Jim e about RGP*
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Chip's Challenge is cool!

RGP's already been released on revsoft right?

i'm kinda working on a project in ASM, but right now i'm trying to get a good 16x16 gs mapper working in conjunction w/ Jim's RGP.
Image Image Image
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

I know Chip's Challenge, I've played a while, but it got boring really fast because the graphics were not that good and the puzzles sometimes a bit hard because of the limited view...

Ok let's get back on topic:
I've posted some images (imageshack works a little bit) about Blox, tell me what you think

The tiles:
Wall: should be obvious
Switch: when a Blox is pushed onto it all the 'barriers' will dissappear
Barrier: A temporary barrier, will dissapear when the switch is pressed
Blox1: This is a special Blox, these are used to form bridges, press switches, ..., they don't dissappear when put together
Blox2: These must be put together (2 or more) to dissappear
Blox3: These must also be put together, but will only dissappear when all the other Blox2 are gone
Water: Only Blox1 can float and make bridges

A level:
Note that this level is quickly thrown together and they can be mych larger then the screen. Note: this level is impossible to solve
A quick review:
- You win if all the blox that must be gone are gone
- You are a 'selector' and have to drag the Blox (not push)
- The elevators keep moving up-down and left-right (the vertical and horizontal arrows)
Some rules:
- you cannot drag blox with other blox on it, you must remove the blox on the top first
- while on the elevator blox can't be dragged, it must be forced to stop (if it hits the floor or the top blox hits the ceiling) and then only the top blox can be removed
- remember that the blox fall down

If you have time check this out, I really want that XBall game
http://kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/vie ... 9975#59975
jimmothy

Post by jimmothy »

that balls game looks real cool . i hope you are able to get that up. other than that this is looking cool. i like the blox idea and acno's energizer is one of my favorite C++ classtime wasters.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Okay, Hang on there guys, I'll be back in 2 weeks. Hopefully I have the BallSim game running, and the basics of blox.
See ya later!
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Have fun, and I can not wait to see what you come up with!