Zombie Attack

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Zombie Attack

Post by Floodkiller »

I would guess I have made enough progress that I know to myself that this project is going to be one I won't give up on (even though the progress bar says 5% at this time, I personally have put more time into working on this than I have making xLIBSweeper all together so far :D).

As the title states, the game is Zombie Attack. It is the revised edition, as you might see, because the original was made for the TI-Freakware contest awhile ago. After seeing for myself how bad my game really was, after being judged, I was thinking about revising it for a long time. Now that I have quite improved my coding, as well as learned xLIB, I am now remaking this with better graphics, more weapons (hopefully :D), zombies with hitpoints, possibly a shifting view for the direction you face, and more!

However, all I have to show for progress right now is a couple sprites for four directions (8 directions coming soon :D), some optimized code from the original, and my sprite work before I reworked it.

Sprites for Up/Left/Right/Down:

Last edited by Floodkiller on Fri 06 Jul, 2007 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Cool sprites, makes me think of Alien Breed, which is a great game!

I think i remember seeing screens of your original and it wasnt too bad, but hey if you want to revist and shine it up a bit ... thats cool :D.

You have any zombie sprites in the works?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Kinda, but my calc is still crashing randomly, and making me lose my progress on most sprite work that I do. After I backup some of my coding to make sure I don't corrupt it while its crashing, I will try some of the more drastic options to see if that works.

Mostly, however, I am working on the pistol reload and the shotgun sprites right now.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Sounds cool keep us posted. I hope your calc quits crashing so you can continue your work.

Graphing paper was always my friend...when I was bored in class, I would draw up some sprites.
The Revolution is here...
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Does anyone know of a program that can rotate an image 45 degrees and still keep it monochrome? The sprite work for the diagonal directions isn't going to well, and I am resorting to trying to find SOMETHING on the comp that can rotate my sprite without turning it greyscale to compensate, or turning the squares into diamonds.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Ok, I've got a diagonal of the pistol sprite done (although his head has a slightly bigger area, which makes me flustrated because thats the only shaped head I can get), and a WIP of a zombie sprite (he just doesn't seem finished yet).

When I get to a comp with internet that doesn't block image hosting sites, I can upload the pics.

Still working on the shotty sprite and the main zombie sprite, then I can work on the reload animations.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

cool can't wait to see them!
The Revolution is here...
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Ok, take a look at the sprites I've been working on :)...

Reload animation for up/down/left/right pistol:

Pistol Diagonal sprites (firing and normal):

Zombie Sprite for up/down/left/right (the dead zombie on the right is facing in the wrong direction compared to the other ones, but oh well):

Shotgun Sprite (only the normal done so far):
---------------------------
Also, I would like some ideas on what anybody would like to see for a fast unit. So far I can only think of a spider, a dog, a jogging zombie, or a crow. Any other ideas?
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

:o Those sprites look great! I can't wait until there are actual in-game screenshots!
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Very sweet! I am most impressed with the diagonal sprite for some reason ... those can be tricky :). The zombie sprite looks cool also.

Made any progress on scenery sprites?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

I've been thinking of "monsters" you might could use as a secondary character. For some reason I couldn't get the picture of a jumping/walking casket with its hinges swinging on the side out of my head; so rather than trying to explain it in words I made it myself.

Two other things came to mind, possibly a snake of some type, or a walking severed hand.

____Image____Image

I know their side scrollers, but that's the only way I could think of making them. (Maybe you could use this to make your own version/s)
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Thanks for the comments!

@tr1p1ea: I am not sure if I may do scenery except for maybe on the edge of the screen. I am already contemplating the fact that, because of the extra space due to having to use 8 pixels at a time per length, I may have to OR the sprites onto the field so that the white doesn't overlap them. If I add grass, that may make trouble with some interfering with sprites (unless you can suggest something for that). I may make trees on the edge of the screen, but my main priority first is to finish the character sprites.

@Delnar_Ersike: Heh, not until my calc starts working again :).

@Homestar: I love the coffin idea (reminds me of the Crimson Head prototype in the coffin in RE), but when I try to visualize how to draw it top down, I keep thinking that Solid Snake is trying to eat a human's brains and is sneaking up to him under a box :D. With the hand, I don't know, it just seems too humorous to fit in. As for the snake, it might be good, but I am questioning how someone would hit a snake with a pistol unless it was some sort of boa constrictor.
----------------
I am almost done with a normal stance for the zombie in diagonal (his mouth is getting hard to put in). I readjusted the shotgun so that his hand doesn't look like an elephant gripping the shotgun, and added a pumping motion. I am thinking of making some sort of transition for the dying zombie so that he lands on his knees first before he falls to the ground. Finally, work is on way for a shotty reload and a grenade for a replacement from the flameburst in my original, to make it a bit more tactical.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Sorry that I haven't any progress so far. I kinda got behind because of some other stuff happening at the moment (my sister's birthday, searching for jobs, trying to use up the free rentals at Family Video before they expire).

As for sprite progress, I have some stuff done. The diagonal kickback on the pistol was crooked :P, so i fixed it. The zombie sprite needs some revisions (that bullet hole in the head has to go, and i need to change the legs and feet to match up with falling face first, where gravity wouldn't pull your feet out like that unless you were standing like that in the first place). The shotgun has a pumping motion, and I started a bit on the reload for it.

Once I get more stuff done, I'll put it up.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Only a few changes, but a big change in the way of actual programming...

For sprite progress, I decided that I would take out the walking animations of the zombie, as well as the hit reaction animations. The hit reaction, which isn't displayed, was made, but removed because I felt that it just didn't fit with what a zombie would do if it were shot (which is completely ignore it and keep trying to go forward), so it is gone. The walking animations are gone because I feel they are not plausible to gameplay speed.

As for the programming progress, I have put my batteries back into my 84+SE after leaving them out for a month. It doesn't seem to be crashing at the moment, but I think I am guessing that the problem must have something to do with running Mirage games that I have while xLIB is installed. I have no clue what game it would be, or even if that guess is right, but I am making sure not to run Mirage anyway while xLIB is installed, and vice versa. I may have some actual on-calc progress soon enough.
Main Projects:

Side Projects:
???-25%

trevmeister66

Post by trevmeister66 »

I think you should have a hit reaction for the zombies when they get shot by a shotgun. I don't know what it is, but whenever i think of a zombie being shot by a shotgun, i see it flying back a few feet.