Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

well, at least there will be pokemon purple by tifreak8x

btw, was the original game too big to fit on a calc? I remember someone mentioning it was on a 1.5 MB cart.
Image Image Image
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Well, it would be, if that lazy, good fornothing of a programmer would ever get around to finishing pokemon purple... :P
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
calc84maniac

Post by calc84maniac »

Art_of_camelot wrote:PC= A BIGGER BETTER calc. :P
You are correct in your insinuation that blue means better. 8)
~calc84maniac has spoken.

Projects:
F-Zero 83+
Project M (Super Mario for 83+)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

lol
Image Image Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

You know, school has this nice way of making people forget about side Projects...

I just finished my first year at Digipen, and as a result, I had no time at all to do anything that wasn't C++. It didn't help that one of my classes was focused on assembly for a PIC processor. That thing is soooo limiting...

Anywho, I'm going to try to finally throw together a proper map engine for this game over the summer. No promises, but this project is officially stamped as not-dead. I refuse to be a statistic!

-thegamefreak

*EDIT* The original game, if I recall, is something like 768k in ROM form. I'm going to assume that the lack of sounds will bring this down a bit. I'll obviously have some reduction in size from the lower quality of pokemon images that I can show. However, I don't think that the version with full art will be small by any means. ^_^
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

true, and you can always go b/w if that doesn't fit either ^^
Image Image Image
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Maybe if you also have a new way to encode text--say using 7 bits instead of 8--that would take off a sizable portion. Text size is always a huge stumbling block in these RPG programs. My post only has 3 lousy sentences, and it’s over 240 bytes.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Text encoding would normally be possible, but I plan to use those extra values to command my engine. Basically, when the text drawing routine gets to a certain flag, it will start a battle, or award an item, or go to the next line, etc. I'm not sure how compressed I can get it after I do that, as it depends on how many different commands I want to support.

-gamefreak

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Well, if you want more drop in size, don't put in the worthless info the pokedex displays. That should shave off a considerable chunk as well.

Good to see you won't let this die. :D
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I did the fancy math, and for all of the front images to fit in memory, their combined raw size would take up exactly 1 page. Since I want the loader to be on the same page, I'll definitely be using some sort of compression for the images.

I really want the extra info for the pokedex to be there. It's really just some extra text space. (Remember that I can use lowercase characters without taking up extra space in the asm version) When I played pokemon, one of the most interesting things about the game was reading the information about every new thing I caught. That, and the fact that a golbat couldn't possibly get too heavy draining "energy" using it's fangs. That made me giggle at the silly American censorship.

I'm working primarily on the mapping engine right now, as I really want that to come across solid, and there are a lot of complicated systems at work. Neat thing is, I think I know how I'm going to handle the events system, and I'm starting to work out (through glitches, naturally) how the trainer spotting and battle starting systems worked on the original game. Should be fun. ^_^

-gamefreak

Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

Nice to see work has picked up on this again. It will be intersting to see how you implement things. Are you going to use the original graphics for the overworld or are you going to shrink the graphics and use a custom size that would be more suited to the ti's screen size? I was also wondering if you are going to use black and white graphics or use grayscale?
*Edit* Looked through the rest of the thread and saw that you were indeed using the original overworld graphics and grayscale. :) Also, If you need graphics, and don't want to spend alot of time ripping them I know of a website that has pretty much everything(in grayscale), including complete rips of cities and routes, not sure about inside caves and such(dungeons).
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

you could always use the RSE icons, which are 32x32 or less.
Image Image Image
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

I ended up using the firered leafgreen icon sprites. They were definitely less than 32x32, which allowed me to do some significant compression to them. If you want, I have 3-151 in uncompressed format..
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Re: Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

Well hi there.

I just got Latenite running, I'm going to be giving this project a nice, fresh start. My main goal is to get the mapper up and running in non-greyscale, and start working out a simple "walk around pallet town" demo of sorts. No promises, I'm very rusty, its been far too long since I last did any TI work, but I'm trying. Once I have a proof of concept up for the map engine, I'll probably start a new thread. Just wanted to say "hi".

-gamefreak

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

Post by tifreak8x »

Well, hey there. Nice to see you are still around. :)

Also glad to see you are still going to give this project a shot. Means I need to get remotivated on getting mine done, which I still have been progressing on...