[Featured] RealSound

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured products are not products of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

OMG, that's quality :D Thumbs up Jim :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

And could you run this sound off a thumbdrive plugged into an 84+?

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Thanks guys, as I said Revsoft(you all should go there by the way, it's very nice) there may be some room for video data, at least if it's coming from the archive. However pulling data off the USB may take far to much time to work effectively.

As for size it's 16384bytes + (Seconds*Sample_rate)bytes . So a 16khz song play for 1min would use 953.5 KiB or 60 app pages. Personally though I think 12khz is good quality(with all things considered), so you could fit 130 seconds on a 83+SE, one song and maybe a few games.

There is one thing I want to note though, there is a high pitch noise in the background. It didn't come up on the video just because it's a recording. It's not enough to over power the current audio but loud enough to hear. So I still want to work on reducing that as much as I can, and see if I can clean up the sound anymore, it sounds good for a calc(never thought I'd say that) but I think it could be better.

That's pretty interesting idea GuillaumeH, what else occured in the community for that. Wav Player 83+ I think was an achievement( 4 bit audio), Rigview as well. Was Calcmod the first tone player?

I have to say it was interestig running code after $c000, I think I see why you 83ers are so dedicated. :lol:

Did I menton Revolution Software? :wink:
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I believe you did happen to mention Revolution Software, Jim e.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

So how did you get around the D/A problem for this one?
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

:shock:

Jim e: Have you seen my jaw? If you could look under your desk, I might have left it there. Seriously impressive stuff.

As for the background noise... how do you intend to reduce it? A high pass filter on the output should be sufficient; I can't think of a way to do it in software though, what with it being a given for PWM :|
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I believe the high pitch noise is cuased by the time it takes for me to read a byte, handle the keys, and decide what to do with the byte. Since this delay happens every sample I think thats what causing it. So hopefully shorten that time would reduce the effect.
Digitan wrote:So how did you get around the D/A problem for this one?
I used pulse width modulation. I am rather surprised it work so well. Sometime ago I rote a routine that generates code that executes for a defined number of tstates. So using the extra ram, I generated 256 different routines that modulate the link port, each running at roughly 750 clocks.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I had the same problem with high-pitched noise and couldn't get rid of it with software. I think it's from the natural response of the speakers because it wasn't showing up on wav software. Would probably need a low pass filter.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Awesome job. Were those pauses the mpeg being stupid or the calculator retrieving another chunk of data from archive?
Image Image Image
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I saw no pauses in the WMV...
ImageImage
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I hope this is finished, it will be fun to mess around with this
ImageImageImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

No more looking like a dork listening to a mp3 player! I can now listen to my calc and look 1337 8) .
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I know 8 mhz isn't enough, but would the 84's cpu be sufficient for some simple compression?

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I can't imagine anything but rle decompressing fast enough for this, and I truly doubt rle will make a significant impact.

Anyway, I just wrote the wave converter. So far so good, just as I hoped playing multiple sample rates works. But something odd has just appeared, at 22khz that high pitch noise seems to be gone?!?! I would have thought that the other way around. But I still need more testing before I even go beta.

Speaking of which, anyone here have an 83+SE or 84+SE that wants to TEST, has free time, an adaptor and good batteries.

Oh I have a feeling there is a bug that will cause a crash on 84+BEs. So they will have to wait a tiny bit.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I'd love to test it on my 84+SE.

DDR on calc with sound would be awesome, also movie clips with sound :excited:

CompWiz17@gmail.com
Last edited by CompWiz on Wed 08 Feb, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image