[BattleCards] Project Brief

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

[BattleCards] Project Brief

Post by kv83 »

Ok, my first project since a couple of months. It's reached a state where I am almost sure that I will finish it.

What is it about?
=================
Well, as you can guess from the name it's a card game. Or more specific, it's a kind of TCG. If you know magic, you will defently feel home here. The game is played with 2 players (You and CPU). It's turn based. Every player has a own 'libary' with his 'deck' of cards. The libary will be shuffled before playing the game. Then each player draws 5 cards. The first player starts playing. He selects a card, plays it and than draws a card. Than it's the second player turn. He will do the same. As soon as one of the player's HP is 0 or lower, the game is over. If one player has no cards to draw anymore, the game is over aswell.
It soudns pretty simple, but with a huge amount of different cards I hope to get a nice strategy game for the calc.

You may recongnize this from a game you already know. I based alot of this on a game I played on newsground once. Don't know the name anymore though. I played it twice I believe, and than started programming.

What is the progress?
=====================
I got a lot done already. Here is the list, the engine already includes:
  • 6 Different Cards
    • DMG 5
    • DMG 10
    • DMG 15
    • HP +5
    • HP +10
    • Drain 9
  • Premade Deck
  • 'Real' AI. It decides which card to use, with the help of a index and based on it's own stats
  • All turns are fully programmed (Select, Play, Draw)
  • Shuffle Deck Routine
  • Stats: HP
  • Engine supports flexible card programming
Especially the last one is a nice feature of the engine. Every card has it's own routine, and when the card is played the routine will be searched in a routine index and than executed. This gives the ability to include new cards. As soon as I got some stable engine I will open a thread where you can give idea's or even programm your own cards! (Information will follow)!

At the moment I am still busy with the AI, since it got some minor bugs in it.

What will you do in the future
==============================
  • More Cards!
  • Fixing 'flicker text' bug
  • Card Symbols
  • Win-Lose Conditions
  • Symbols for cards
  • Coin toss
  • More AI's with different strategies
  • Include other stats besides HP (Str, Def)
  • Include 'equipment'
  • Animatings for every 'event' (Healing, Attacking)
  • Menu
  • Deck Building Interface
  • Make 'level' system
The above things are defently planned. I am also thinking of other feature's. But I am not sure if I include them or not. Thinking of it, it will propably to much to do. This includes linking (trading , VS Battles), External 'Sets', RPG Overworld. Especially the last one will propably not be done.

I hope I am not the only one who likes the idea. I kinda like TCG's, so this may be the first step in series of TCG games. We'll see how much of you guys like such games.

If you have any questions, please ask! I'll answer everything, I hope :P

P.s.: Oh yeah, I do have a screenshot, but you won't see much things happen on screen. The graphics are pretty simple at the moment! That's why it isn't posted :)
Last edited by kv83 on Tue 20 May, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, this sounds very well planned kv83, its great to see so many features :). It would be awesome if you could do a RPG Overworld or something, but perhaps that is taking things too far ...

Anyway, cant wait to see you progress :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

nice

Post by the_unknown_one »

Very nice project, cant wait to hear progress!
Mortal-God

Post by Mortal-God »

WOW, so this is what all the shuffling routine stuff was about. A great idea, personally I loved Magic the Gathering. Still have the cards laying around somewhere...

Don't worry too much about an RPG overworld that might get too complicated, and it sounds like a really great project without it. Linking would be a really nice feature though.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

It sounds pretty cool, but it would be better if you could add a multiplayer. Using the same calc would be fine since it's turn based.
bananas... o.o
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Wow, this sounds fun :D
I think multiplayer via linking would be best, that way you can build up cards on your own calc and battle it out against someone else's personally built deck.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Yeah, that would be pretty sweet! :D
The Revolution is here...
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Oh, and if you do the link thing, try to balance it so people with retarded decks don't have their decks destroyed by older player who have thiers built up. Like Armies if you know what I mean. Either that, or just make it so you never lose cards. But that wouldn't be as fun...
bananas... o.o
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hey, thanks guys. I was already afraid that noone would like the idea :D This motivates me to programm a lot today. I fixed the AI bug by the way, and now working on the win-lose situation.

The linking part gives indeed a lot of nice possibilities, but it also adds some problems. Once the AI version is fixed, I'll look into it.

Multiplayer on one calc is a nice idea indeed. Though it propably won't be often used, cause people like to play with 'theire own cards' ... if you know what I mean :)

Btw. Is there someone good with graphics? As stated before I'll implent 'fighting' animatings, where you can see the results of the card you played. On the other hand, a spin-off of one of the maxcoderz franchises would be cool aswell (Corbin or TVF e.g.).
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

RPG Overworld. Especially the last one will propably not be done.
If you want to, you can use the overworld routine of Destiny Realm. It's current version should be okay for card games. You have to put me in the credits (obviously) if you use it.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

leofox wrote:
RPG Overworld. Especially the last one will propably not be done.
If you want to, you can use the overworld routine of Destiny Realm. It's current version should be okay for card games. You have to put me in the credits (obviously) if you use it.
Thanks for the offer, but if it would be done, than by myself. I like to have some freedom in my coding, and not to much restricted by someone elses engine. Thanks though.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Wow more ambitious then I even thought you were planning :). It sounds great, linking would be a cool idea. Don't be scared by linking because you've never done it before, it isn't that hard.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
L-Man

Post by L-Man »

Kozak wrote:Wow more ambitious then I even thought you were planning :). It sounds great, linking would be a cool idea. Don't be scared by linking because you've never done it before, it isn't that hard.
really i tought linkings was hard, doesnt it slow the game quite a bit.
it would be cool if it was implemented, it would be a nice feature. :D
visit www.PRGMERz.tk
Lookng For new Members.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

For the SE it's unbelivelable easy, but I doubt kv83 would limit himself.
Besides it's TCG it's shouldn't need alot of speed.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Wow, this sound cool... when I read that it was a card game on your olanfile I thought it would just be like blackjack or something, but this is really interesting. I actually had an idea for something like this a while ago, but it never got anywhere.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"