[SHATTERED OASIS] Shattered Oasis Revived

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

[SHATTERED OASIS] Shattered Oasis Revived

Post by BetaSword »

Well, I've decided to start working on Shattered Oasis once again, finally, perhaps this time finishing the game that once started out as "The End of Forever," before being subjected to several several complete rewrites and all.
And the first thing I'm doing is making the complete battle engine, something I never was able to do, mainly cause I never settled on the style of battle. But now I have. And here's the info:

-Turn based timing, card based battle system
-There are currently going to be 5 types of card: Attack, Defense, Combination Attack and Defense, Special, and Random.
-Attack cards to either slashing or blunt damage.
-Defense cards boost either slashing or blunt defense.
-Combination cards attack to a lesser degree than attack cards, but also provide defense benefits.
-Special cards invoke one of 3 random special attacks/effects, including re-dealing your cards, lowering enemy defense or attack, greatly boosting your own defense or attack, or possibly activiting one of 2 or 3 special attacks.
-Random cards are a mystery until you use them, but there are benefits, such as providing a higher attack power or defense rating, but they also may take away attack or defense power from yourself. Hence it's a gamble.

Now, how the stats work. Basically, there'll be the character's base stats, which are used as the base for attack and defense in battle, along with determining what kind of attack or defense is more prevailent. The cards themselves are randomized through use of a "Card Power" stat. Basically, when it comes time to deal you a new card, the program randomly decides what type of card you get, and then distributes an amount of points to it equal to your card power stat, and influenced by your attack and defense stats. For example, if you had 10 for card power and had a higher slash attack base stat, and during battle you got an attack card, you might get a card with a Slash value of 7 and a Blunt value of 3. Higher base defense to blunt attacks and you got a defense card? Perhaps a Slash defense of 4 and a Blunt defense of 6. With a combination card, and using the previously stated base states, you may get 4 Slash attack, 1 blunt attack, 2 Slash defense, and 3 Blunt defense. And random cards would give you something created from a card power of half your card power to double your card power.

Kinda complicated, but it works, and it shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll make updates as good progress is made. And I'll also move this thread as soon as I get enough work done to warrent an actual Shattered Oasis board being added back in.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

w00t thsats one of the RPG I have been waiting for more than 3 years alerady besides FFTOM3 and TVF, I really cant wait to play it, I've seen the graphics in the past summer version and they were very nice. Keep us posted about it man! :)

EDIT: You should ask other MC staff so they can make you another Shattered Oasis page on the main page because they wiped out all inactive projects

EDIT 2: Just an opinion but I think you should use Omnicalc (not Zapi) to make this game. The new version of omnicalc allow you to group your programs without any problem and you can make grayscale games with it
ImageImageImageImage
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Awesome news to see that this project is not dead!

I cant wait to see some results of this newly revived project :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Hmm, actually it's the 3rd revival I think. EOF died, then revived as SO in feb 2004, then it died in late february, was revived in july 2004, then died again a few days later, then now revived again? I hope this time I will see a full game to come out! :D
ImageImageImageImage
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

omnicalc allow you to group your programs without any problem
What do you mean by that?
Shaun
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

the old version of Omnicalc he's using (version 1.1) doesnt allow you to group programs (ERR:VERSION)
ImageImageImageImage
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Actually, I'm up to 1.2 now for OmniCalc. That's what I've been using for the new version, so there shouldn't be any problems.

And wow... I never knew there was anyone that was actually watching this so closely... heh... Thanks... I think you just boosted my desire to actually finish something for once... I've really got to get something of this out... Oy vey...
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

BetaSword wrote:I never knew there was anyone that was actually watching this so closely...
I have been watching this closely since 2002 :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Wow... Anyways, little bit of info...

I've decided to make this my last attempt at this game. If for some reason I'm unable to finish it this time, due to any reason at all, I'm just going to release it, as is, along with everything related to it, including past versions, and everything. So at least there will be some work out there... And hey, maybe then someone else could get bored and finish it in whatever way they choose. Who knows.

Let's just hope it doesn't come down to that.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I am sure you'll be able to do it. Just make sure you follow those advices, they might help:

Following quote is from The Guide to TI-83+ Silver Edition BASIC Grayscale v.1.4
When you are thinking about making a game, start planning first, don't start making something. Once you planned start coding only ONE thing at once. For example, in a RPG, you should never code the battle engine, the map engine and the menu all at once or you will get lost and you will lose motivation.
Hope this help :)

EDIT: Oops I really need to update my old programs (all links are broken) :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Well, there's my problem. I was trying to just go along and make the game, from beginning to end, making what I needed, when I needed it. Now I'm just working on the battle engine, figuring out the math and how enemies will work and everything. But thanks anyways :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

3rd revival? Wow this game refuses to die! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Are you still using Omnicalc's font modding? if so you may wish to check out tr1p's xLib, which allows 8x8 scrolling tilemaps.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

Neh, I'm just using the normal sprites. I still have the font, though, and that version of SO. Maybe I'll use it for something else later on sometime.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... Here's an update! Woo!

First of all, I forgot to mention before that you will be able to equip various weapons, which both raises stats depending on the kind of weapon, and also changes the attack graphics during battle Woo.

Also, the big new addition I'm working on for the battle engine... Rage Points. Everytime you take damage in battle, your rage points increase to a max of 100, depending on the percent of damage to your maximum health. Which means to actually get 100, you'll either have to take enough damage to the point of death, or heal during battle and take more damage. Of course, that's assuming you go into battle at full health, too. Of course, there are benefits to taking enough damage to both put your RP at 100 and causing death. Advantages such as when your RP hits 100, you'll automatically go into Rage Mode, even if you're at zero health, and pretty much unlease massive destruction upon your unsuspecting foes. Plus, going into rage mode at zero health provides the added benefit of restoring 5% of your max health, and doing even more damage and death and destruction and other fun words that begin with "d". So yeah. Also, RP is used to activate Special cards, giving it more use, and limiting the use of Rage Mode. To further enhance the effect, the way the screen is layed out while in battles allows for a 32x16 portrait of the character to be displayed on the left side of the screen. This portrait will change depending on the amount of RP you have built up, kinda like in the newest Megaman Battle Network games.

Currently, no hard coding has been done yet on all of this, as I am finishing up all the required graphics, first. But as soon as that's done, the coding begins. Yay.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Sound vewry interesting! I hope to see the game in action soon. :)

will it be in grayscale? *hides myself*
ImageImageImageImage