[BattleCards] Designing the AI of BattleCards

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

DarkAuron wrote:Shouldn't there be a limit of how many cards you have of certain ones? Some cards might be really useful but you'd only be allowed to have one, otherwise you could overpower your deck..
Yeah, you are right. I was thinking of a limit of normal cards (4) and a limit for special cards (1)... just like in magic
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Sounds good :D
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

RandInt(0,10,1) for AI =D
Life is getting better.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Designing the AI of BattleCards

Post by Patori »

kv83 wrote:Introduction
Ok. This will be a small research of how a smart AI should work ...

What are your idea's? I really would like to hear! Come on... don't be shy ;).

-kv83
I believe that you got the right ide aso far. I would prefer to not have a match AI mode, may not work correctly, high chance of computer er, calculator being froze...

I recall having a tetris game (PC) that matched a players abilities, and way of playing, and you could play against it... It won most of the time, and as I watched what the Computer did, I realized that.... It was... me.. DUM DUM DUM.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
axcho

Post by axcho »

Maybe you could use more advanced techniques like neural networks or genetic algorithms instead of just hard-coding the AI technique. It might be interesting to do, just because those open-ended AI techniques are kind of cool. Like, there could be a bunch of AI programs that compete and evolve so you don't know what strategies they will use. Of course the programs would be written in a made-up language so they can be as high-level as you want. Making them too low level would mean making the AI really dumb, and it would take up too much memory to do much. So make a high level language based on your own knowledge of the game, and evolve AI programs. It would be like an actual world going on outside the player's view. And maybe when two players are linked, the AIs could travel to the other calc!
jbshaler
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by jbshaler »

I'm sure that on the right platform such an idea could work, but as assembly programmers most of us are fine with writing low-level algorithms, so I don't think that using low-level algorithms would make the AI very dumb, necessarily.

You could incorporate the genetic algorithm idea, though, by having some parameters (randomness, agressiveness, healing, etc. -- probably all probabilities) and then changing them slightly each match, preserving or increasing changes that led to victory and decreasing or reversing changes that led to more defeats. It would be easiest to just change one at a time from a logical standpoint, but you might need to play too many games for it to get smart enough.

Doing this method might enable the program to find an optimal playing style against the same person.

As for neural networks...hmm...It's possible, using the current cards as inputs and the card choice as an output, but I wouldn't recommend it for a calculator program.
novamaster0

Post by novamaster0 »

also there could be like passwords to unlock stuff kinda of like in animal crossing where everything is programmed in there sort of. Maybe make this like you use a password to unlock a player or maybe a way to take your current deck you ai analized stats get a password and put it on ticalc for other people to play you or the traditional link up.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Perhaps you could have different AI's with different skills and specialties and their own special decks, each stored in a different file.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
axcho

Post by axcho »

I meant a low-level language that the evolved programs would be written in. It is a lot less likely that a bunch of random low-level instructions will play a card game well than a bunch of random high-level instructions. What you suggested was at the high-level extreme, where there is much less flexibility but it is more practical. Having the evolved programs consist of values for a few variables that affect their playing style is very high-level. I think that might be the best for a calculator game with limited memory and speed.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

axcho wrote:I meant a low-level language that the evolved programs would be written in. It is a lot less likely that a bunch of random low-level instructions will play a card game well than a bunch of random high-level instructions. What you suggested was at the high-level extreme, where there is much less flexibility but it is more practical. Having the evolved programs consist of values for a few variables that affect their playing style is very high-level. I think that might be the best for a calculator game with limited memory and speed.
Ah, my SSB's AI... Loops that went on forever... and the falling into the hole to try to kill me... *sigh*
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

kv83 wrote:
DarkAuron wrote:Shouldn't there be a limit of how many cards you have of certain ones? Some cards might be really useful but you'd only be allowed to have one, otherwise you could overpower your deck..
Yeah, you are right. I was thinking of a limit of normal cards (4) and a limit for special cards (1)... just like in magic
Heres an idea. You could make each card worth a point value. Say a card that attcaks for 2 has a point value of one and a card that attacks for 15 could have a point value of 3. then in your deck the maximum amount of points could be say like 150. So then if you wanted more powerful cards you would be able to have less cards in your deck, but if you wanted more weaker cards you could put a lot of cards in your deck.
Get what I mean?
Then also you could make it so if you run out of cards in your deck you lose. So you could go for the quick strike, and have a lot of high value cards and risk running out of cards, or you could go for a long drawn out battle and either hope the other person runs out of cards or you beat him. I think that this would add a lot more stratigy in deck planning than "just put as many strong cards as you can in your deck."
Wright Studios.org the place for calculator graphics.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

hmmm... that's a very good idea. I recognize that from Warhammer... there you have also some "money" and have to buy troops from it. Stronger troops cost more than Weaker troops of course...

I think it's very good idea, and propably will use that! Thank you! :D
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah!! Does this mean you are going to continue working on BC?
*hopes he gets to finish it this time :D..*
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

Thanks, I was just reading everything when I just thought it up. I didn't even think of Warhammer (although I played it).
Wright Studios.org the place for calculator graphics.