[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

You'll all get invites. There's going to be an open beta, which was the main motivation I had for asking for this forum... but I will need a handful of more dedicated beta testers, and you all can look for PM's when that time comes ;).
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

sweet, I'll help beta test... I actually have loom, and I've started playing it again, so you can count on me if you need to :P
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I just got Loom, I'm going to try it out. From what I've heard it's a pretty neat game. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

It is... but I'm probably biased ;).

Just letting everyone know that, while there haven't been any changes made to the look of the game (hence no screenshots to post), I have been coding. I spent tonight working the scoll routines. I had them working before, but it was a work-around that was going to make the scripting engine nearly impossible, so I rewrote them to play nice with my other routines.

This weekend, I plan to work on the scripting engine. That's the thing that handles all the cut scenes (and there's a lot of cut scenes in Loom). This is probably too ambitious, but I am hoping against hope to finish enough of the engine to write the big opening cut scene. Don't get your hopes up... but if I do get that far, it means the first release ;). Hardly even an alpha test by any standards... just something that you will be able to play with on your calc.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Hey, anything released is nice. I'd love to see the opening scene on calc. :) The quest quest release was nice also, even though it was short.

And thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. screenshots or not, it's always nice to hear what's happening. :) You are really amazingly fast at coding.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Well, I kind of got sidetracked. Instead of working on the scripting engine, I did more graphics work. I drafted some new sprites that I hadn't drawn yet, and binarified about 100 sprites that I had drawn but not added to the library yet. All told, there will be aboue 170 sprites just on Loom Island (the first area of the game), and that's not counting Bobbin's sprites, which is another 30 something. I also re-worked my map loading routine and have started plotting the rest of the maps on Loom Island.

What does that mean? It means the release will be pushed back a bit. However, it means that when the release comes out, it won't be just the Loom Sanctuary, but all of Loom Island. Basically, the first release will be entire first part of the game. So I'm not sure if this is good or bad news... but it's an update either way :).
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Wow cool.. if you ask me, it's good news... the bigger the beta, the better imho! Can't wait to play the first part of the game :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, sounds good to me. I can't wait to try this out. :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, we are going to get teh whole island ... awesome! The sprite situation is kind of like another game that i was going to make ... there were like 32 sprites for just 1 characters walk (8 directions).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

wow...Loom Island. That just sounds fun. I cant wait for the demo king, keep us posted mate.
The Revolution is here...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Just played the original game again... took me about 2~3 hours, but it was so much fun :P
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Yeah, it is short. I will probably add a few more puzzles on to the end to make it a bit longer, and also a bit harder. The last hour of the game is really easy, IMO.

Expect walking screenshots of all of Loom Island tonight or tomorow :).
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Awesome!

A non-RPG calculator game that can provide you with more than 2 hours of gameplay is a really good effort imo.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Sweet keep us posted King! I cant wait to see some more progress. And like tr1p said anything upto or over 2 hours for a calc game is really a good effort! I cant wait I might actually have to sit down and play this game just like I did with Desolate... ;)
The Revolution is here...
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Sorry guys, but I overestimated what I would be able to get done this weekend. School is kicking my arse lately, as we are getting close to exams.

I did get some work done though. So far I have all the maps and their relevant sprites made. I have the walking and scrolling engines working. I have the animation engine fixed (the original was just a work-around), and I have the map loading routine finialized. Basically, all I have left is some house-cleaning and some kind of code to switch between maps, and I will have a full walking demo of Loom Island to show you.

Once that's done, I need to get the trigger engine running. That will be a big, hard, and very important piece of code. Once that's done, I'll have to actually add all the triggers and cut scenes to the maps, and then the first release will be ready. :)

In the mean time, check out the "Redesign My Rock" contest in this forum.