[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Nice, I'm sure this is gonna be good!
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

@L4E: how'd u do the spriting? I am working on a star wars game thingy in greyscale...I am simply unable to make the front and back views. Can sum1 help me? or can i have permission to use modded sprites of yours : i will give credit?
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Anyone is welcome to use my sprites for anything they like, so long as they do not claim them as their own work.

You don't have to give me credit if you don't want to, but if you do, then thanks very much :).
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Exam are over as of yesterday, and I will hopefully have some more screenshots up this week. Just reporting in.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Great, I can't wait to see more progress develop!
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Nice, I was wondering why you hadn't posted the last days :)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Just updating: I have the main parts of my map routine working. Next step is to add Bobbin to the map and allow him to move around via the arrow keys.

Also, since I don't think I posted this... I decided against smooth scrolling. It was going to be too much trouble, and it wouldn't have looked that nice. It's going to be "frame scrolling" if that's even a real term. Basically, you will move around inside a 6x4 frame of sprites, and when you reach, say, the far right edge, the screen shifts to the right 5 squares and you are now on the far left edge of a new frame. This allows me to use IonLargeSprite instead of making my own sprite routine, and it will be more like the original PC game this way. Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't I should have a screenie of it soon enough.

I'm going to Jazz Fest in New Orleans in a few days, and I will probably be staying there to take summer classes... so if I don't post for a week or so, that's why.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sounds great, have fun on the tr1p!
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Doing well on Loom, man, keep it up ;) Frame scrolling is good enough, and isn't that what was used in the real game?

I didn't know that New Orleans was up and running again already. And Jazz rocks! ;)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Yeah, parts of it are almost completely back to normal. Uptown (where my university is) and the French Quarter (where all the tourists are) are both recovered. It's really the outter neighborhood areas that are still looking bad.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Ah, well since I live in Belgium I didn't know so much about it :)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Sorry I don't have more screenshots yet, but they are on the way. Source code is 1,600 lines and counting so far.

I've got a format established for maps, tiles, and items. I've got functions to read the maps and get certain parts of them for use. I've got the map scrolling working and am almost done with the player scrolling.

The first demo won't be anything too impressive. You will be able walk around one of the maps and look at a few items. Not too much to look forward to, but once that much is done, I will be at least 1/3 done with the entire game engine.

First demo should be out in a week or two.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Nice, nice, well going, man. Can't wait for the demo. And could I have the source code to take a look at sometime?
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Ok, finally have things working such that I can give an animated screenshot.

This is Bobbin walking through the Weaver Sanctuary and passing the Long Tapestry.

As for releasing the source, I might later... but for now I probably won't. I'm still pretty new to ASM, and to an experienced coder, my ASM probably looks pretty childish.
Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

Simply amazing. BTW, what software do you use for animated screenshots? I'm wanting to post some of FF:ROS but I dont have the right software.