MaxCoderz

for your 1 bit pleasure!

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:08 pm 
Calc Wizard

It'd be simpler, but I don't think it would be faster (although it certainly would be smaller, and I don't think the speed difference would be noticeable at all).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:35 am 
Maxcoderz Staff

Hmm... I don't really know how what kind of math I'd use to determine if a space can be walked on with that, though. Currently, for the collision detection matrix, it's a bunch of ones and zeros, ones showing solid objects, and zeros showing walkable objects. Of course, I could also redesign the way the sprites are layed out in the sprite sheet pic, so that, say, all sprites under 20 are walkable, and all sprites 20 and over are solid... But sometimes you want certain areas to be solid, and sometimes you don't. Eh, I'll see how fast it is when I can implement xLIB. Though at the moment, even, the actual walking speed is perfectly fine for me on the SE. It's just the loading the rooms part that takes forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:53 am 
Calc King

BetaSword wrote:
Hmm... I don't really know how what kind of math I'd use to determine if a space can be walked on with that, though. Currently, for the collision detection matrix, it's a bunch of ones and zeros, ones showing solid objects, and zeros showing walkable objects. Of course, I could also redesign the way the sprites are layed out in the sprite sheet pic, so that, say, all sprites under 20 are walkable, and all sprites 20 and over are solid... But sometimes you want certain areas to be solid, and sometimes you don't. Eh, I'll see how fast it is when I can implement xLIB. Though at the moment, even, the actual walking speed is perfectly fine for me on the SE. It's just the loading the rooms part that takes forever.

With xLIB the load time will be a thing of the past, also yeah if you want tile 1 to be walkable, but in the next room you don't want it to be you can just make that same tile for 28 and it can be walked on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:56 am 
Sir Posts-A-Lot

<Offtopic>You should change the subtitle of the forum to "The RPG that definitely hasn't died even though it looks like it"</offtopic>

Last edited by gangsta on Wed 30 Nov, 2005 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 1:51 am 

BetaSword wrote:

i mean that u just have one matrix, ur tile matrix. Since xlib ignores decimals in matrixes, u can add a .1 after each unwalkable tile and alter it to ur needs. Then for collusion detection, if the tile has a .1 after it, then u can't walk there.i could send u specific code if u want...
@Darkerline: of couse its faster to only store one matrix instead of 2, i use this way for my own project, it should only take about 1 sec, even on a black ti-83+ :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 1:58 am 
Maxcoderz Staff

gangsta wrote:
<Offtopic>

You should change the subtitle of the forum to "The RPG that definitely hasn't died even though it looks like it"

I can't. Only admins can. And I'm not an admin. Otherwise, I probably would.

dragon_lance wrote:
i mean that u just have one matrix, ur tile matrix. Since xlib ignores decimals in matrixes, u can add a .1 after each unwalkable tile and alter it to ur needs. Then for collusion detection, if the tile has a .1 after it, then u can't walk there.i could send u specific code if u want...

I understand what you're talking about... I just don't quite know how to quickly make it discern whether or not the value has a decimal attached to it or not to make it walkable. Otherwise, I probably would do that, as it would be quicker, and smaller. As it is, each matrix is about 845 bytes. Not too bad, considering most the stuff can be archived while it's running, thanks to xLIB. But hey, every byte helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 2:05 am 
Sir Posts-A-Lot

well, kv is...I hope he hears our cry for help!

Gangsta wrote:
You should change the subtitle of the forum to "The RPG that definitely hasn't died even though it looks like it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 3:08 am 

@beta sword, just in the middle of movement prgm, use fpart([A](Y\8+1,X\8+1)), assuming u have x and y as coordinates. this should give u the decimal, whether zero, or .1 :) Then, id also recommend u have a tilemap prgm, or do u already use one, in it, add in decimal adding capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 12:50 am 
Maxcoderz Staff

Hoohah, just got the test version of xLIB, so now I set out to see if A) It's got any noticable bugs, and B) How much it speeds up SO. Screenshots should follow shortly!

Edit: First test results in! And the results are.......

Rooms are INSTANTLY RENDERED. Like, holy crap on a stick. xLIB rocks my socks. More testing shall commence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 4:49 am 
Calc Master

Yeah the asm-like tilemap rendering is great, of course that was the very first feature xlib had back even before it was an app. Glad to see you're putting it to good use!

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 5:46 am 
Maxcoderz Staff

So am I. Just gotta finish figuring out how to replace everything, and then I can start the xLIB optimizing and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 3:38 am 
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wow, xLIB improved it by a TON, from the looks of the screenshots. It is really great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 4:10 am 
Calc Master

BetaSword wrote:
dragon_lance wrote:

I understand what you're talking about... I just don't quite know how to quickly make it discern whether or not the value has a decimal attached to it or not to make it walkable. Otherwise, I probably would do that, as it would be quicker, and smaller. As it is, each matrix is about 845 bytes. Not too bad, considering most the stuff can be archived while it's running, thanks to xLIB. But hey, every byte helps :)

Code:
If 10fPart([MatrixName](Map_Y_Offset + Y/8 + 1,Map_X_Offset + X/8 + 1))=0

If that is zero, then your tile is walkable. Map offset is the number of spaces the top-left corner tile on the screen is offset from the top-left corner of your map, X and Y are (duh) the X and Y positions of your character onscreen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm 
Calc Wizard

Why do you need If 10fPart(..)=0?

If not(fPart(.. works just as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 10:32 pm 
Calc Master

Well, I was thinking along the lines of having not just 0 and 0.1, but also 0.2 etc. That way you can have many types of tiles, for instance, I don't know how you detect tiles with actions associated with them (such as that gate), but you could put a decimal for action-objects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next