[Calc Wars] User interface

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

What would you prefer? A touch screen interface (Like DS) or a GBA interface?

I want a touch screen interface
39%
I want a GBA interface
61%
I don't care
No votes
I neither want a touchscreen nor a GBA interface
No votes

Total votes: 18

RedNifre

[Calc Wars] User interface

Post by RedNifre »

Here are some suggestions for a user interface:
1. A touchscreen would be great! Imagine the scene looks like this:
The touchsccreen would be this area of the calc:

Code: Select all

MATH APPS PRGM VARS CLEAR

X-¹  SIN  COS  TAN    ^

X²   ,    (    )     ÷

LOG   7    8    9     Ãâ€â€
Last edited by RedNifre on Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

well, there actually is space for a info bar... only 32 pixels long though.

im using 4x4 16x16 tilemap in gs, and I planned an info bar on the side. The STAT button will be used to display things that are usually under the intel menu... Sound good? Please keep giving me ideas! And I'm glad I have a fan...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
RedNifre

Post by RedNifre »

4Ãâ€â€
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

[quote="RedNifre"]4Ãâ€â€
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
RedNifre

Post by RedNifre »

Well, I already have a GBA with AW1 and AW2, so a perfect copy of it on the calc would be completely useless for me. Thats why I suggested a different interface: A touchscreen is a better solution for such a game (at least in my eyes). It is more comfortable and faster. You need only three key presses to move a unit somewhere (click on unit, then click on target field), while in the GBA interface you first have to move the cursor over the unit, select it, move the curser to target position, move it...
Last edited by RedNifre on Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

RedNifre wrote:Well, I already have a GBA with AW1 and AW2, so a perfect copy of it on the calc would be completely useless for me. Thats why I suggested a different interface: A touchscreen is a better solution for such a game (at least in my eyes). It is more comfortable and faster. You need only two key presses to move a unit somewhere (click on unit, then click on target field), while in the GBA interface you first have to move the cursor over the unit, select it, move the curser to target position, move it...
*cough* Math class! *cough*
RedNifre

Post by RedNifre »

I can't understand why you ignore the great possibilities a Ti83 offers. You now have the chance, to create a better interface, but you refuse to use it. What is so great about the GBA interface? In my opinion, it's perfect for jump&runs, but bad for turn based strategy games. Don't waste the possibilities!
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

The problem with your interface is, that if you want to move a tank from point A2 to C4, that you can accidently hit the wrong button and all your strategy is destroyed... I say go for the gba interface... to much buttons = bad
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

I remember CoBB had a routine that was somewhat like this, but it was more like the touchpad of a laptop. So it would scroll a cursor around the screen. Maybe something like that could be implemented.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

maybe both... but size, alas size!
RedNifre

Post by RedNifre »

@kv83:
Jepp, that might be a problem. And here's the solution:
Clicking somewhere doesn't immediatelly move the unit. Instead it draws that arrow just like in the original GBA game. This makes it possible to specify the route, by clicking at some waypoints. And when you are done you click at the last waypoint again, to move it there.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Well touch screen might be cool just for the novelty of it, but I kind of agree with kv83 that it's too many buttons and you could put things in the wrong place. It might also be a bit slower if you have to hit the button again after drawing a line.
bananas... o.o
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

wait, wait, touch screen...that isn't really touch screen...cuz it's kinda a calc...
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

VahnRPG wrote:wait, wait, touch screen...that isn't really touch screen...cuz it's kinda a calc...
Of course it isn't touch screen... but just play along, k? :)
RedNifre

Post by RedNifre »

Well, how would you call it? Screen Coordinates Related Touch Area? I prefer "touchscreen", because it describes it best.