[MARIO] First announcement

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

[MARIO] First announcement

Post by Duck »

Copy of original post:

Take a look:

Gameplay video AVI format (needs DivX decoder):
http://www.maxcoderz.net/mario/mario1.avi

Do you like it? My first goal is Mario Bros 1 functionality. As you can see, basic functionality and gameplay is there!!

Work to do for SMB1'ish functionality:
- Edge detection for Koopa Troopa
- the Fire Flower upgrade and the Starman
- Moving platforms
- Pipe warp
- Level system
- More monsters
- multi-object monsters (master-slave relationships)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow Duck, that avi definately is a lot smoother ... the game is looking awesome!

I like the coin overkill btw :) ... but the best thing is the duck-slide under the blocks :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Just so that you know: that AVI somewhat old. Some bugs (like question blocks not responding to being hit) are already solved. And I did that coin overkill to show that animated tiles dont have impact on speed.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Excellent ... i had noticed a few bugs ... good to know that they are fixed ... afa animated tiles go, thats awesome! :).

How often do you work on this project?
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

It goes with burst. The last few days I've worked on it again, but some days before I didnt. Before the first anouncement (januari 4th or so) I worked on it almost every day for a week... So the code is still fresh, but I spent some considerable time already.
BTW I'll have some important exams within the next two weeks, and there's still 500 pages of anatomy to learn for me, so dont expect any major breakthroughs within this time.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Wow, Duck, this looks truly amazing! Good luck with the project!
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Thanks ben! I really appreciate positive reactions! :)

Currently I'm working on implementing sloped tiles. If the mathematical method doesnt work out well I'll use LUTS. It would be nice if going uphill really causes vertical speed and declines horizontal speed.

About graphics: making graphics is fun but it takes away coding time. I'm wondering if there are people out there that would like to make sprites for mario, monsters, items etc, that are just as good (:)) as mine? I hope so.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Here's a link with text from the programmer of MC Kids about how he made the game, a good read.

http://greggman.com/mckids/programming_mc_kids.htm

I guess MC Kids is close enough to mario, and it's a great NES game.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

I have no idea on how to do this in asm currnetly, but on the PC, I use a step event (checks every instant) when the go left button(usually left arrow) is pressed to see if there is an object so many pixels high. If it is in the range, then the player can move up (jump to a slightly higher y position every step, making it look like the player is walking up the steps/ramp) normally I use C++ or other object oriented languages
bananas... o.o
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

MC Kids, nice game, I even had it on cartridge! :)

But that article is very interesting indeed! There's loads of information about how Objects are handled, and its very much like the way SMB3 does it.
If the object has X Physics turned on, then the X Physics are computed using Acceleration, Velocity and Position. Object positions in the game are 16 bits significant and have a resolution of 1/4 pixel. This is our 'decimal place' and allows the objects to move smoothly at various speeds.
Interesting stuff. This is just almost exactly what I was searching for. It surprises me that lots of things are actually written the way I thought they would be. I'm definatly going to use this.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

yea

Post by the_unknown_one »

I read it too, very nice article, gave me a lot of coding xp....
Coding increased by 100 xp. You gained a Coding level! You're now level 25... Aww... still so low... So much to do yet... So much to learn... *goes increasing his Coding skills*
Mortal-God

Post by Mortal-God »

sounds like that should go under the programming ideas section
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Yeah nice article. It more strenghtens my believes about methods to use to create those games but it also has alot of methods I didn't think off. Now I don't have to think about them anymore since I know they'll work out like they worked out for them when they used them.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes it is a good read :).

Kev...I mean Kozak, its always good to know when you're on the right track aye :).

Any progress Duck? ... Just wondering :).
Raiser

Post by Raiser »

This game is looking great so far! It already has more gameplay elements than Sam's version (not meant to put down Sam's version), and far better graphics!

I know that this probobly isn't what you're concerned with right now, but Mario looks a little weird with no moustache. I hope you don't mind, but I made a little fix to your sprite to emphasize his big nose and facial hair a little more. I made two designs, one with the face left open like you had done, and one with the face closed off. It's nothing very significant though, just a couple of rearranged pixels.

image here

I'm sorry if this offends you in any way, I just love messing around in paint, and I thought you might like it. I think you have it covered pretty well, but if there's anything you need help with graphics-wise, I'm more than willing to lend a hand. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to a playable release soon, especially since this new semester has given me a reason to bring my calculator to school. Keep up the good work!