[MARIO] Mario

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Those levels are quite large though arent they?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Dwedit wrote:Have you ever looked into the Super Mario 3 romhacking tools out there? It seems that it would be quite possible to write a level loader that takes in the original NES levels.
Thats exactly what i was thinking. It would be just as space-efficient as the original Mario, some complete worlds could be included. It would take time to literally rewrite all the SMB features though. NESish assembly seems simpler then Z80 assembly, its quite readable. I'll look into this possiblity further.

And guys, dont overreact on the coding style. Once you see it you will be disappointed.
Mike K

Post by Mike K »

So which SMB are you aiming for? SMB or SMB3? I think you should try for the original SMB as it would be a lot less feature-implementation from where you currently stand. Just the enemies, flower power, and pipes.

-Mike
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Granted...more features are cool, and there is no doubt you could make this one helluva good game, with all those features that you wanna add. I will just be happy to see/play mario if he can go down pipes, shoot fireballs, and send shells flying. I am pretty easy to please I guess. :)

offtopic: Damn right you're j/k
The Revolution is here...
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

And, as i can assure you, its a pleasure to make ;)
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Alright...who put that in my post...Duck, Tr1p, kv! :)

Who did you get the 8 way scrolling routine from Duck...it was Dwedit right? I may have to ask him about that..
Last edited by Madskillz on Sun 16 Jan, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Revolution is here...

Post by Guest »

It wasnt me :o
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Since Super Mario 3 had an 8k RAM expansion inside the cartridge, it could have huge levels.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

That size is indeed about the size of the biggest mario levels. Their width rarely exceeds 256 tiles and their height is reversly proportional to their width. A level could then be 256 tiles long and 32 tiles high.

Right now I'm wrecking my mind by coming up with a better feeling mario<>tile collision. Mario should not be able to balance on 1 pixel on an edge, he should at least be 1/4th on the edge to have grip. If thats implemented, its also easier to fall through small (1 tile) wide holes. The problem is that mario's side hitdetection is not 1/4th but more like 1/8th of his width. SMB1 and SMB3 solve this problem by pushing mario out of the entered volatile tile (:P). Now that tricky to implement, but it should feel great at gameplay.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Duck wrote:SMB1 and SMB3 solve this problem by pushing mario out of the entered volatile tile (:P).
AKA - The Mario MoonWalk! w00t! :).

Wow, its good to see that you are still busy with this Duck ... if only you were this passionate about Corbin :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Well, Corbin is not dead you know. I will pick it up once I'm ready for it. But right now, Mario is my new project. Its stupid but I love playing my own Mario on ti83 hardware. Feels good :D

About that 'down' detection: SMB does it differently then SMB3. Its 'fall down' treshold is not 1/4th but 1/8th tile, the same as the side-collision treshold. I'm going to use this method, so no Mario Moonwalk yet ;)
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

Explain The Mario Moonwalk plz :lol:
sic
Site Admin

Post by sic »

Shall I make a mario forum, then? :)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

sic wrote:Shall I make a mario forum, then? :)
I defently say: YES! This is such a "great" and fun project, that it should deserve it... but of course Duck should decide :)
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

sic wrote:Shall I make a mario forum, then? :)
Yes, please. I think I can handle that :P