Smash Bros. may be dead - fear the worst. [APRIL FOOLS 2006]

Moderator: tr1p1ea

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Smash Bros. may be dead - fear the worst. [APRIL FOOLS 2006]

Post by tr1p1ea »

Guys,

I was on my machine about an hour ago and it kept pausing for a few seconds every few minutes or so. I got fed up and rebooted ... only to find out that booting took an abnormally long time. After looking around for things it came to my attention that 2 of my hdd's were not responding... I recalled them being recognised in POST, but after another restart the BIOS was unable to detect them. I tried them both in another machine and one of them started clunking, the other showed no signs of life at all.

Nothing i try will work, and i have worked with and recovered a lot of shonky hard-drives. I fear the worst, i fear they are dead.

Those drives contained a LOT of valuable information, movies, music, games, homework, and programming stuff. ALL of my programming stuff ... INCLUDING ALL OF MY CALC PROJECTS! I had the calc projects on one of the drives. It was also backed up on the other drive. I used to do periodic backups to cd, but since my burner packed it in a few months ago, i do not have an backups of .... thats right .... Smash Bros. I have managed to recover some older calc stuff, but not anything recent. I also lost some 3D modelling stuff ... luckily my homework is all backed up on my usb drive.

I almost feel sick. I have lost years worth of work ... It is really demotivating. I honestly dont know if i have it in my to start Smash Bros. all over again.

I am sorry guys, maybe i can rescue the drives still somehow. I will keep you posted.
Last edited by tr1p1ea on Wed 18 Apr, 2007 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I am sorry for your lost, but remeber that we like you for more than your programs and games! :D I hope you can rescue all your work from the drives. Did the drives show any signs of failuar? (Spelling sorry..) I hate when this happens, if it was just smash bros then it would be ok, but all your other stuff too is ALOT of stuf!! :( Well I know you will make it through this, and you will make some sort of back up near in the future (floppy disk if you have too :P).

Edit: WAIT!!! Was xLIBs source lost?!!!! If so, can you decompile it? O_O
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I can feel your pain. I remember when my PC broke down and when I lost my usb drive... all the work... gone... on the other hand it's a good reason to start from scratch more organized this time... :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Oh, i never though about xLIB! The latest build is gone ... i do have backups of older versions.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

God this sucks, Smash Bros gone :( I hope you'll be able to make them work again one way or another...
pacHa
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by pacHa »

This sucks :(
I guess you'll be able to find again films and music, but I hope you haven't lost personal data (pictures, emails...), because this is really annoying :/
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Have you tried some of those drive recovery techniques? I seem to remember something like putting the drive in the freezer, and I think something like whacking it in the center of the bottom of the drive. I think the article I read said that this can make the drive work for a little longer, possibly long enough to back up it's contents. Do you have some way to back the drives up if you do get them working again temporarily?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

If you take the drive to wherever you bought the drive (like buest buy), they can posibly fix the hard drives. At least they would be able to recover the info for you. Trust me, any price is worth it.

Other than that, did you ever post/upload the source for your projects? If so, you could re-download them...
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Well how much was done? I saw grey, mapper, sprite, some physics, following code. Come now, project can't die this early, as long as you are here you can do it.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Don't worry tr1p1ea. I basically lost everything early on, but I still make an effort to learn.
Image Image Image
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Man that sucks :(. Stupid PCs :)
cheese=yum
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I am not feeling much motivation to code for calculators anymore to be honest. I wouldnt mind tinkering here and there but because of time contraints etc ... im finding it difficult.

I am also moving house which means that ill lose my internet access for a little while (until i can get it transferred). I am probably going to be relatively inactive for the next month or so.
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

Good luck, see you then :)
Revolution Software
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

good luck at whatever u do, and great job on evthing.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

You are a great person, and will be missed greatly. I know what ever you do will be the best choice for you, and I will respect that choice. Thanks for all the hard work you have put into calcs and what not, but I understand that motivation is hard to come by. If you ever feel like stopping in and saying hi, that would be awesome! I hope you find the time and motivation to code again one day. Until then, good luck and I hope to see you around one day! Just so you know, even if you don't code for calcs again, you are great to talk with and helpful. You are one of a few people who make me want to be in the community, and if you decide to leave we will live on. I can see the future now....You will be successful and find the time to come back and WOW us! :P