EarlyMorning - Progress & Discussion

One suite to code them all. An complete IDE and assembler for all your z80 projects!

Moderators: benryves, kv83

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Great! I can't wait till this, PTI, Bens works, and timendus is done. Then I will start learning z80 agian :P.
Duck
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Duck »

Hey kv, in what kind of programming langauge do you write this? Java, C(++), visual* ? Maybe I'd like to contribute to this project in some way. Harper maddox and I once thought out a novel manual map compression technique i'd like to try out once. It requires a good GUI to work since it uses a sprite aggregation tree-like structure thats impossible to effectivly use without graphical navigation and overview.

(BTW, please mail to dpkingma@gmail.com since I dont come here too often)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Hehe, I understood about 3/4 of ducks post :P.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Hahaha, looks like all the oldies are teaming up to bring development to a higher level :P

(You worked with Harper Maddox? He's one of my guru's :P Is he still active in the community?)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I don't know him well, but the last I heard from Harper was when I beta-tested the Voidpack app a while back. I don't he's active anymore :(

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

AHHH it's DUCK!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Hey how is EM coming along? I have thought about picking up ASM again so I want all the best tools. I would love EM as my map maker.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

It's coming along nicely. I was today able to "build" a first include file. However the data of the sprites seems somehow to be mixed up. I guess it's not a hard to find 'bug'... so make sure you check back soon for more info.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

kv I tried the beta out, but only for a few minutes. I like the layout and professional feel to EM. I still need to read up on the buildscripts, and all the general usage. I found it weird that I had to add like 3-4 things (project, spritesheet, sprite, etc) before I could start drawing sprites, but I'm sure that helps w/ organization in the end. Also, when drawing the sprites, I really wish you could just click and drag over multiple pixels to draw them, instead of clicking each one. That part was also buggy at times when trying to right click white pixels. anyway, good work, and I'll try and play around with it a little more.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I like the layout and professional feel to EM.
Thank you :)
I found it weird that I had to add like 3-4 things (project, spritesheet, sprite, etc) before I could start drawing sprites, but I'm sure that helps w/ organization in the end.
It should help indeed, but I can see your point. Maybe I'll enahce the "new file" screen so that you can directly create a 1st spritesheet and map. This will save some time. But to do that, users should first be able to rename things :)
Also, when drawing the sprites, I really wish you could just click and drag over multiple pixels to draw them, instead of clicking each one.
Yeah, that will be done in the feature, along with the other "drawing tools".
That part was also buggy at times when trying to right click white pixels.
Hmmm... I'll look into that... I made a bug-notice with ID: BG-001
anyway, good work, and I'll try and play around with it a little more.
Thanks again.
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

The thing under my mouse doesnt work (is creating a new map) and the screenshot itself looks a bit strange ;) Like the mapping doesnt work...
But I feel this is going to be a nice tool.

[ http://users.free.swifthost.net/NanoWar ... trange.gif ]
Revolution Software
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

NanoWar wrote:The thing under my mouse doesnt work (is creating a new map) and the screenshot itself looks a bit strange ;) Like the mapping doesnt work...
But I feel this is going to be a nice tool.

[ http://users.free.swifthost.net/NanoWar ... trange.gif ]
To create a new map, you have to select a mapcollection first. In other words it's right that you can't create a map in the root and that the option therefor is disabled. :)

About the "mapping" problem. Could you give me some more info about your file (like size of maps/sprites)? Or send the file to me?
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Darn. I need to install the .NET and for that I need the windows genuine installer 3.0 and for that I need a legal version of windows. Any solutions?
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Kozak wrote:Any solutions?
If you're a student, you should be able to get one over MSDNAA. (?)

I gave it a shot; I stupidly forgot to save your post on build scripts so haven't been able to actually test any of the output, but have had a fiddle with the editor. I really like the layout, it seems nice and easy to use and organise your sprites/maps with. :D

I know this is early days, and you probably know this already, but the odd things that stuck out were:
  • Have a look in the containers bit of the toolbox (SplitContainers) and set the Dock property on your controls. You don't have to manually code form layout changes on resize ala VB6, which is nice :)
  • Try using the MouseMove event (check e.Buttons) rather than MouseDown in the editor, as this will let the user "paint" rather than have to click each pixel.
  • It doesn't like you selecting tiles in the map editor if you don't have a map loaded (unhandled exception).
I'm looking forwards to using this :)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Thanks ben! I'll look into the features you requested, altough I was planning to do the "painting" anyway... just didn't know how till now :P
It doesn't like you selecting tiles in the map editor if you don't have a map loaded (unhandled exception).
Is registered as bug (BG-002)
I stupidly forgot to save your post on build scripts so haven't been able to actually test any of the output
Or even stupider of me; didn't include any readme with build information :oops:

Thanks for your compliments, it's really motivating me to code ^^D

(P.s.: @NanoWar: I also registerd your bug as BG-003)